Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Evo X - Swapping Seatbelts onto Recaro Seats - *updated* done - easy install

hello guys,

I've got a 2015 evo x which came with lancer RA cloth seats.
I've already sourced some recaro seats in good condition, but the only problem is the driver side recaro didn't come with the seatbelt.

I just have a quick question and am a little confused. this might be easily noticed when I take out the stock seats and do the swap, but where does the black cord that goes from the recaro seatbelt go to usually?

does it plug into that black box right behind the seat belt buckle and then that black box goes to the bottom of the seat female part? (there is a yellow female and black female sticking out towards the front of the seat)

sorry if this is confusing.

thanks in advance

(*update* sourced seats and they fit perfectly, no lights triggered either)

Last edited by SheWentToJared; Jun 5, 2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old May 1, 2015, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Hmm i dont know if anyone may have swapped the recaros into the 15's yet from previous models. Your kind of in uncharted territory. Also pictures would help.
Old May 1, 2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Hmm i dont know if anyone may have swapped the recaros into the 15's yet from previous models. Your kind of in uncharted territory. Also pictures would help.
I can post pictures. I know the swap can be done as I've talked to two guys that have done it, but I am just wondering where that black cord on the seat belt buckle for the recaros is usually routed to
Old May 6, 2015, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SheWentToJared
hello guys,

I've already sourced some recaro seats in good condition, but the only problem is the driver side recaro didn't come with the seatbelt.

I just have a quick question and am a little confused. this might be easily noticed when I take out the stock seats and do the swap, but where does the black cord that goes from the recaro seatbelt go to usually?

does it plug into that black box right behind the seat belt buckle and then that black box goes to the bottom of the seat female part? (there is a yellow female and black female sticking out towards the front of the seat)

thanks in advance
I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly, but the seat belt is on the car itself and not on the seat. So it shouldn't be a problem as long as you solved........

I can post pictures. I know the swap can be done as I've talked to two guys that have done it, but I am just wondering where that black cord on the seat belt buckle for the recaros is usually routed to
...... this problem. Have you figured out what to do with the side airbags? MY2015s have side airbags built in to the seats themselves. The Recaro seats in the older EVO Xs do not have side airbags.

Maybe that black cord is for the airbag?

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
^What he said. I would also love to know if it is possible to do it properly.

Last edited by SoloSpeed101; May 6, 2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoloSpeed101
I'm not understand it correctly. The seat belt is on the car itself and not on the seat. So it shouldn't be a problem as long as you solved........
The seat belt is attached to the car, but the seat belt buckle receiver is attached to the seat mount. That will need to be transferred to the new seat and plugged back in.

...... this problem. Have you figured out what to do with the side airbags? MY2015s have side airbags built in to the seats themselves. The Recaro seats in the older EVO Xs do not have side airbags.
Yes they do. MY2013 Recaro seats (and back to 2009 based on forum threads) have side airbags in the seats, hence the need for the resistor when swapping out for aftermarket seats that don't include airbags. Search and ye shall find.

Last edited by Sawdust; May 6, 2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old May 6, 2015, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sawdust
The seat belt is attached to the car, but the seat belt buckle receiver is attached to the seat mount. That will need to be transferred to the new seat and plugged back in.

Yes they do. MY2013 Recaro seats (and back to 2009 based on forum threads) have side airbags in the seats, hence the need for the resistor when swapping out for aftermarket seats that don't include airbags. Search and ye shall find.
Then this goes against what Mitsubishi said about taking out the Recaros on the MY2015s because (correct me if I'm wrong) the government mandated side airbags on the seats, so instead of redesigning the Recaro seats, Mitsubishi went with RA seats which already had them. Then why not just reuse the older Recaro seats with the side airbags?

But if what you state is true, then all I need to do is locate MY2009-MY2013 Recaro seats and swap them out.

Last edited by SoloSpeed101; May 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it had to do with the Recaro seat backs did not provide adequate protection from whiplash... but the 2015 ford Mustangs also have similar Recaros.. so idk.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neogeo64
...but the 2015 ford Mustangs also have similar Recaros.. so idk.
I think the new restriction applies to a sedan only, not a coupe. I've still yet to find the actual, official mandate though...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hello guys,

thanks in advance
I took some pictures for you, I hope they will help. Basically you'll have to replace the whole seat belt receptacle, not just the cable. Notice the cable comes out of the seat belt receptacle and just sort of wraps around the back right leg. It the goes through two of the zip tie clips, into a round wire tie, then clips into that silver stamped metal bar that goes across the bottom of the seat.

The first picture shows the wire leaving the seat belt receptacle and wrapping under the seat, the second shows the cable ties (bottom of the picture is toward the rear of the car), the third shows the cable cuff which is farther forward still, then the fourth shows where it clips into the metal bar.

The pictures should tell the story, but if you need more help, just ask.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-img_20150531_192921320.jpg   Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-img_20150531_194538212.jpg   Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-img_20150531_194630809.jpg   Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-img_20150531_194654607.jpg  
Old Jun 1, 2015, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Then this goes against what Mitsubishi said about taking out the Recaros on the MY2015s because (correct me if I'm wrong) the government mandated side airbags on the seats, so instead of redesigning the Recaro seats, Mitsubishi went with RA seats which already had them. Then why not just reuse the older Recaro seats with the side airbags?

But if what you state is true, then all I need to do is locate MY2009-MY2013 Recaro seats and swap them out.
The Recaro's do have side airbags (there's even a tag stitched in at the top of the side bolster on the side by the door). Thats what the yellow wires under the seats are for. There has to be some subtle difference in size or position that makes them fail the new regulation.

Also, they switch to the Lancer GT seats, not Ralliart seats (per their own website: http://msales411.com/vehicles/2015/evo). At least that how they refer to them.

That being said, this is all a US only issue, as I have seen that Canada and Japan (see pics of the Final Edition) both still have the Recaros.

But yes, any Recaro seats from 2008-2014 can be swapped out just fine, 2015's need a little extra effort. Just read my post here for clarification: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11455111
Old Jun 2, 2015, 03:25 PM

i would love to see some finished pics, i have a 15 and really dont feel like the seats hold you in like they should diffidently want to do this at some point to mine
Old Jun 3, 2015, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evox26
i would love to see some finished pics, i have a 15 and really dont feel like the seats hold you in like they should diffidently want to do this at some point to mine
Well, here you go. I took one from outside with the side mirror in the shot to show it is a 2015. I also put up a picture of the seat belt receptacle to show the height with the parts swapped in from the Lancer GT seats. And look... no airbag light! Other than that, just generic shots of the seats, which if you want to you can look up better pics of the interior elsewhere. Hopefully that helps!
Attached Thumbnails Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-img_20150603_160411907.jpg   Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-img_20150603_160423063.jpg   Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-img_20150603_160434362.jpg   Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-img_20150603_160511280.jpg   Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-img_20150603_175222100.jpg  

Old Jun 5, 2015, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what is the cost of the seats? Is there a site that sells these or is it always "source it" yourself?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Broham
what is the cost of the seats? Is there a site that sells these or is it always "source it" yourself?
I found mine on Ebay after 4 months of waiting for a full leather/heated set. I wanted a full set with no blown airbags, and I finally got lucky. I paid a little over $2,000.

I don't know of a site that sources them, but there are 2 major import part out companies in Florida selling parts on Ebay. Maybe you could email them and see if they can keep their eyes open for you.

You could try posting a WTB thread here... it's not uncommon to have people want to sell stuff but not have a FS thread. They just look for people in need.

In case you were wondering, the dealer will sell you new Recaro seats, front and rear. The catch is, they're in pieces and will set you back over $15,000 (I have an invoice to prove it). Oh, and they void your warranty (seat-related parts only) because installing them is "unsafe" since they don't come in the car new due to safety regulations. So if you're in a crash and the airbags don't deploy, it's your fault not theirs.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I'm taking your route on finding seats. Whether I have to piece cloth ones together (finding driver & passenger seperate) or not. I've found one set of leathers but I'm not interested in doing a leather swap really.

Quick Reply: Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats