Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Loudness - Exhaust Setup Question

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loudness - Exhaust Setup Question

I have an opportunity to purchase a setup with a number of aftermarket parts, including a Ultimate Racing resonated test pipe and Invidia N1 exhaust.

After scouring this site, and watching hours of YouTube videos, I am still trying to understand how loud this setup would be. Some of the videos make the exhaust look mild, while others make it look very loud!

At the moment, my 2012 GSR has a MA performance downpipe and it is stock from there back. I understand that adding the UR resonated test pipe and Invidia N1 will be louder, but how much louder will it be?

Old May 5, 2015, 02:37 PM

Putting a test pipe on will make your car a lot louder then stock by far. Put the cat back system on first before you install the test pipe and see how loud that is first. Add test pipe if it's not loud enough for you.
Old May 5, 2015, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your catback has a lot to do with how loud your car is. Remember your stock catback has a muffler and resonator in it which calm it down a lot. The Invidia N1 has no muffler and no resonator, so its definitely on the louder side. With that said, a test pipe would make it even louder, and whether you have a resonated test pipe or non-resonated test pipe is going to affect that. I have the Invidia N1 catback with the stock cat and stock downpipe and my car is fairly loud as is. When I get more bolt-ons in the future, I will be going with a resonated test pipe as a non-resonated test pipe would be too loud IMO. So in terms of what to expect, it's going to be a lot louder than as your car sits now but I'd say you have the right idea with your exhaust plans. If it ends up being too loud you should get a new catback because as I said, the Invidia N1 is one of the more aggressive catbacks out there.
Old May 6, 2015, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't have this setup but I would expect it to be fairly loud. Any single exit exhaust with a straight through muffler isn't going to do much to quiet the exhaust down. I don't know how quiet a resonated test pipe is vs a cat but I have a high flow cat and a Tomei single exit exhaust and it is very loud.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

This was my assumption, but I need some local Evo friends to bounce ideas and see/feel some of these things first hand.