Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

High flow cat or test pipe

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
High flow cat or test pipe

High guys I have a cobb exhaust system with high flow cat currently. Everything I read says the high flow cat is a restriction, how much more power would I actually make with a test pipe. My state doesn't go too hard on emissions, would I pass or maybe have to modify it somehow to pass?

Looking at a AMS wide mouth downpipe currently but I'm not sure what brand is really the best, any suggestions?
Old May 8, 2015, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where at in PA are you located,? either way if you go test pipe it will not pass inspection. It won't pass because of the visual test. You have to have something there to make it look like you have a cat, that's why the high flows will pass. They usually don't pass the sniffer test because it really isn't doing much but it at least gets you past the visual part.

I know my brother in his old mustang took an old set of cats and cut them in half and rewelded them just around the pipe to make it look like they were on there just to pass the visual test since our area doesn't have the sniffer test.

I just help my buddy install the AMS wide mouth and test pipe. That thing is spectacular and sounds really good. I'm a big ETS fan but I think the AMS wide mouth is a lot better.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Just get the high flow from ets and you wont have ne problems passing emisions. Unless your state does the sniffer test. But in MO where i live they dont and it passed no problem with the obd 2 scan. I had to unistall the cobb tuner but other then that passed np.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nah no sniffer in PA, im located in York. I really want a test pipe I already have a high flow, its gonna suck getting one though, if I have to swap to cat everytime emission comes around (1 year).

Maybe I can put some 02 sensors in the pipe to make it pass idk
Old May 8, 2015, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Ugh i coudlnt imagine haveing to deal with those damn rusty exhaust bolts every year to change it out lol.
Old May 8, 2015, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
changing them would take an hour max, with taking your time. If I lived in a state with emissions I would just swap it whenever testing time comes around, youll see a decent amount of gains with the test pipe. it helps air flow a lot better, and your car will be louder as well
Old May 9, 2015, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by elkazX
changing them would take an hour max, with taking your time. If I lived in a state with emissions I would just swap it whenever testing time comes around, youll see a decent amount of gains with the test pipe. it helps air flow a lot better, and your car will be louder as well
Isn't there concerns about a cop pulling behind you, smelling the catless exhaust and giving you some sort of ticket?
Old May 9, 2015, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterRegato
Nah no sniffer in PA, im located in York. I really want a test pipe I already have a high flow, its gonna suck getting one though, if I have to swap to cat everytime emission comes around (1 year).

Maybe I can put some 02 sensors in the pipe to make it pass idk
You really want one why? With a stock cat you are out about 20hp over all, your running a HFC and that relieves some of the restriction, call it 10hp. So your current restriction is 10hp---and your worried why? There are 10 other mods you could make for 10hp and still pass emissions. Be smart and don't mod the car where it will cause you or others problems in the future-- I know, who care about others rt?
Old May 9, 2015, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Jus gut the hfc and... Done!