Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

When does a tune become necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When does a tune become necessary?

Just installed a Cosworth drop in today and going to drive it first thing in the morning to work. Im sure I dont need a tune for just a drop in but Im planning on getting a bov, intake and exhaust with a tune all at the same time or is this wrong to do? Do I need a tune now with my drop in? Last question is can i get away with an exhaust before tuning anything? Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2015, 09:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulyX
Just installed a Cosworth drop in today and going to drive it first thing in the morning to work. Im sure I dont need a tune for just a drop in but Im planning on getting a bov, intake and exhaust with a tune all at the same time or is this wrong to do? Do I need a tune now with my drop in? Last question is can i get away with an exhaust before tuning anything? Thanks
You don't need a tune for the drop-in. I have the Cobb turbo inlet + K&N drop in + ETS UICP w/o a tune and has no problem.

I do suggest get the full bolt-ons and do the tune in one shot, it can save you couple hundred bucks for re-tune.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah you would be good. Usually the two that require tune would be the DP and test pipes. Our cars are rich from the factory and can handle some mods with no issues. I did full bolt ons all at once to eliminate the question.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Add intake to the list. I would retune after putting on an intake. Saying car is rich from the factory, so leaning it out by installing an intake will equalize that, is not sound advice. Though you will probably be fine, I feel tuning a stock X with no mods, makes a night and day difference for performance and drivability. If you want to drive your car hard with little worry, get it tuned. Find a good tuner get a good tune. If you decide to add a part later, your tuner should be able to retune you, for a small fee. He can even just road tune it, no need to pay dyno fees anyways. Unless you care about, if you are making 330whp or 350whp. If you are not changing fuel components or turbo, a retune should be a quick touch up. Off course adding all parts at the same time is better, but most of us can't do that.

Last edited by chriswolf81; Jul 21, 2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by isaachunyu
You don't need a tune for the drop-in. I have the Cobb turbo inlet + K&N drop in + ETS UICP w/o a tune and has no problem.

I do suggest get the full bolt-ons and do the tune in one shot, it can save you couple hundred bucks for re-tune.
Totally agree
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

I ran an ETS intake for about 3 months without a tune. Car drove fine for me. No CELs or idle issues. I would imagine you'd be fine with just a drop-in. You can always buy a AP now and when your ready for your custom tune, you can just sell it and probably get back what you paid for it.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulyX
You'll be fine with the dropin, however I would HIGHLY encourage you to do a lot more reading before deciding on modifications. You're not choosing 'most bang for your buck' modifications and should really learn more about the car before you start deciding what to get. Barring that, find a good local tuner and discuss your goals and see what they come up with.

Good luck!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:25 AM

When u throw on bolt ons and realize ur gas is only lasting 2 days lol
Old Jul 31, 2015, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You need a tune any time there's a change in the way air of fuel move through the engine.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Don't mean to threadjack but i have a question related to the topic..

my car is currently tuned w/ full bolt ons, kelford 272 cams. i plan to install a new intake, o2 dump, ported exhaust mani and drive to get it tuned. will i be able to make it to the shop fine or is it not worth the risk?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bmurray
Don't mean to threadjack but i have a question related to the topic..

my car is currently tuned w/ full bolt ons, kelford 272 cams. i plan to install a new intake, o2 dump, ported exhaust mani and drive to get it tuned. will i be able to make it to the shop fine or is it not worth the risk?
lol, you wont blow up as long as you dont go boosting down the road to your tunner. And youll KNOW when youre boosting with that O2 dump.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by akride907
lol, you wont blow up as long as you dont go boosting down the road to your tunner. And youll KNOW when youre boosting with that O2 dump.
I actually installed it along with a ported ex manifold and afrs are fine.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mean_EVO_x
When u throw on bolt ons and realize ur gas is only lasting 2 days lol
And then you gotta throw premium in there that's why I love my 05 camry 30mpg is a great relief