Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

And so it begins...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 07:03 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
And so it begins...

Since selling our IX MR, I've been in the market for another X MR. I sold the IX for a few reasons, but mainly because my wife is into horses again and that being her primary vehicle wasn't practical any more. In addition, having a pristine IX with 22k miles on it was more of a pain than it was worth. We felt like we couldn't drive the car like an evo... rough and dirty. She now has a 2015 Outlander Sport GT.

I sold my truck, and sold the IX with the intent to get another X. So here I am, looking for a X MR. Looking around, found two in the northwest that didn't have a touring package on a 2015. No way am I paying for leather, just to tear it out when I replace the seats. I call up my local dealer, they want MSRP for their Xs. I'm not going to pay MSRP for any car, I am NOT Hank Hill.

I then call the largest Evo dealer in the country. I talk to the popular guy, to which he tells me they are now charging $10k OVER MSRP. WHAT?!@%@$#

The dealership that was so famous for killing all prices in the US, is now adding a premium on their cars. I was floored. Looking at a $39k X MR + $10k tag + fees, I'm starting to look at used GT-R territory. $50k for an Evo is ridiculous and IMO, has caused this.

When I pushed back on this, I was told the Final Edition would be even worse. Great, more than $50k for car I paid $32k out the door for a few years ago and is now missing Recaros.

I have been bitten hard by buying used evos in the past. I won't do it again. At this point, I'm not sure I'll be able to continue this game thanks to the stealerships.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Be prepared to travel and get a great deal. You're searching in the north where AWD cars get a premium due to weather. Come south on a one way ticket, drive the car home imo. You can easily get below or at sticker minimum in Houston.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that is outrageous. If only you lived on the east coast. I know a great dealership that sells their Evos a couple grand below MSRP. PM me if you want and I'll get you the details
Old Jul 24, 2015, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I could sell my MR but I love it. I feel I cant drive it how your supposed to drive an evo either. Its an expensive car so I don't wanna beat the **** out of it, but that how I feel you should drive a sports car
Old Jul 24, 2015, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MisterRegato
I wish I could sell my MR but I love it. I feel I cant drive it how your supposed to drive an evo either. Its an expensive car so I don't wanna beat the **** out of it, but that how I feel you should drive a sports car
Drive the **** out of it, I do. What's your concern?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.. that's outrageous .. they get the car cheaper than MSRP so they are bending people over.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Be prepared to travel and get a great deal. You're searching in the north where AWD cars get a premium due to weather. Come south on a one way ticket, drive the car home imo. You can easily get below or at sticker minimum in Houston.
Yah, Houston is 2400 miles from me. Only way I could justify it is by having it delivered.

Originally Posted by obake214
Wow.. that's outrageous .. they get the car cheaper than MSRP so they are bending people over.
Yah they are. They know it too. It's frustrating.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:35 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without incentive how much off MSRP do you expect? With 2015 being the last year i doubt you'll find any at invoice. If you go far you may get a a thousand off and it may cost up to $1000 for an enclosed carrier. For the few hundred dollars difference MSRP is not a bad choice.

Had two GT-R a 2009 and 2013. The 2013 rides and shifts so much better. I would say it's harder to use as a daily compared to the Evo 9. Ride quality being simlar just too low and too much attention and being two doors. Just something to think about.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Yah, Houston is 2400 miles from me. Only way I could justify it is by having it delivered.

Yah they are. They know it too. It's frustrating.
Semi delivered is like what, 6-800 bucks? Still seems cheaper than other options lol.

Hell you pay my plane ticket home I'll deliver it and break it in perfectl
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I feel like your going to have a bad time to try and find a deal right now on an evo with this being the last year. I was thinking about selling mine and all the ones for sale are just a few thousand from what i paid for the car new. I think the car right now is going at a bit of a premium.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 05:15 PM
EvoM Community Team

I really wasn't expecting much off to be honest. I just didn't want to pay full retail . Either way, adding premium on top of it, seems a bit on the greedy side.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I really wasn't expecting much off to be honest. I just didn't want to pay full retail . Either way, adding premium on top of it, seems a bit on the greedy side.
Just your geographical region. Figure out the furthest you are comfortable driving that is directly south from you, and do searches in that area. Nobody knows what AWD is down here. I got my 08 STi for 6500 under sticker, and my 2014 MR fully loaded for under sticker as well. Even had a 2014 GSR as well for under sticker before the MR. lol

Head South for great justice!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 06:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

To be clear, the dealership adding $10k premium isn't in my region. They are probably the most well known evo dealer in the country (not saying the name on purpose).
Old Jul 24, 2015, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Have you thought about a Miata? There's some good deals to be had. They are fun to dive and you would look good cruising down the road in one!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Ford RS or Golf R

Quick Reply: And so it begins...