Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

APR GTC300 Install Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
APR GTC300 Install Question

So I bought this used and I'm pretty positive there aren't going to be any installation instructions (should be delivered sometime this week). I checked the APR site to no avail, and messaged them, and they only replied with that it'll just bolt in to the stock holes. Which confuses me, since everyone seems to say on the forums that a third hole needs to be drilled.

Literally copy and pasted: " As far as these wings they are designed to fit the factory Evo X GSR SSS Wing holes. On those cars no holes are required to be drilled. However if your MR does not have a Factory wing on it or uses the smaller factory wing you will have to drill holes."

After searching these forums I found two threads both of which were in regard to fitment issues initially, then magically it fit later... so...

I have an MR trunk with a touring lip. Referencing this other post I found:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-sss-wing.html

I went and took a look at my trunk and I found those two holes, so I'm prepared to drill that no problem. Though I read there is a third hole, which I'm assuming is under the liner? I'm assuming that that the third spot isn't marked since from that thread above neither of the stock wings utilize it.

So my assumption as of right now:

1.) drill all three holes
2.)Put some double sided 3M tape on the bottom of the wing (not sure if this part is necessary with this wing?)
3.) Put wing on trunk and bolt down.
4.) Check trunk to see if I may need to change trunk damper.

Is there anything else you would recommend, or key detail I may have missed?

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I ordered this new. It will arrive Saturday. When I did my research with APR & Forum members I was told it will fit the evo x as long as it has the HIGH SPOILER. It doesn't need to be a SSS, it just needs to have the high spoiler and not the small one. If you have that then their is no drilling required. I was also told from multiple sources that the install is very simple and easy to assemble and when you start mounting the stands on the trunk first.. to just make sure you don't tighten the bolts right away. Keep things loose until finally fitment because apparently it will need a bit of wiggle room.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

For future reference, for anyone coming across this cause they need help.

If you have the touring lip, the premarked hole spots will not fit, cause of the wing stands will overlap. Push it up a little bit and mark your own holes and call it a day.

Note: Wing just barely touches window...It still opens all the way, but at completely open it does in fact touch.

Last edited by Gh3ttoRoM3o; Aug 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added NOte
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
I ordered this new. It will arrive Saturday. When I did my research with APR & Forum members I was told it will fit the evo x as long as it has the HIGH SPOILER. It doesn't need to be a SSS, it just needs to have the high spoiler and not the small one. If you have that then their is no drilling required. I was also told from multiple sources that the install is very simple and easy to assemble and when you start mounting the stands on the trunk first.. to just make sure you don't tighten the bolts right away. Keep things loose until finally fitment because apparently it will need a bit of wiggle room.
Sorry didn't see this until after I posted my reply. I can only speak from a MR Touring perspective, but yeah wouldn't fit. Hopefully yours will go smoother. Worse case scenario a little bit of drilling which isn't a big deal at all.
Attached Thumbnails APR GTC300 Install Question-evogtc.png   APR GTC300 Install Question-wing.png  

Last edited by Gh3ttoRoM3o; Aug 6, 2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I think for the MR Touring you must drill. But for the GSR you don't need to drill and the wing does NOT touch the window. So I've been told..
Old Aug 6, 2015, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Yes, I think for the MR Touring you must drill. But for the GSR you don't need to drill and the wing does NOT touch the window. So I've been told..
I could definitely see it not touching on any trunk without the lip. Since I had to scoot it up a little bit and it barely touches it, that small distance back should be enuff for it to have a clearance of like .5" to an inch.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
ugh... I go back and forth on getting one of these wings...such a love hate thing.. I had one on my S2K and I loved the look, especially on track!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
******* that's a sick looking wing where did you get that bad boy?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gh3ttoRoM3o
Sorry didn't see this until after I posted my reply. I can only speak from a MR Touring perspective, but yeah wouldn't fit. Hopefully yours will go smoother. Worse case scenario a little bit of drilling which isn't a big deal at all.
That vortex Generator you have is from singapore.. i was going to get the same one then changed my mind and went with rexpeed because their vortex Gen covers the entire back of the roof while the one you have does not. How about you post more pictures of that VG with the wing? I would like to see how the fitment looks from a roof perspective.