Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

built evo x destroying oil filters

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
built evo x destroying oil filters

my buddy just had a full long block sent from boost therapy with the works...this engine is built just like the record breaking engine they built...well, right after the 20 min break in changed the oil and the filter was crap...it looked lip the top was turned inside out...the baffle inside is loose...i can move it around with my finger...the filter seemed to be somewhat loose...yes i tightened the filter pretty good...this is not my first rodeo trust me...so we thought eh, maybe a defective filter...changed the oil, filter, turned it on...couple minutes later oil starts seeping out and we shut it off...look at the oil filter and see oil coming out of it...take it off...same **** happened...these are all mitsu filters..serched online and found a thread that ended up being a check valve on the oil pump...is there anything else it could be? what do you guys think?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the oil pressure look like?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pressure in or lack of a place for the pressure to go is the only thing to come to mind. Clogged line, oil cooler, main bearings in wrong ect....check pressure, but I wouldn't let it run long in case its not getting oil into the motor or its no getting past the mains.

Albert
Daytona Mitsubishi
Parts Manager
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vbturbo2
Pressure in or lack of a place for the pressure to go is the only thing to come to mind. Clogged line, oil cooler, main bearings in wrong ect....check pressure, but I wouldn't let it run long in case its not getting oil into the motor or its no getting past the mains.

Albert
Daytona Mitsubishi
Parts Manager
well he has no oil pressure gauge...the car has a mishimoto oil cooler...boost therapy asked us to log the car at idle so they can see what it's doing but we tried and this time oil started coming out of an oil cooler line instead of the filter...it just seems the pressure is looking for a way out and this time that line was the weakest link...we did an oil change and filter with what was recommended by them and lasted a full 7 secs or so before oil started flying out...we're stumped...only thing I can think of trying is running it without oil cooler to see...idk...
Old Aug 20, 2015, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Besides the before mentioned items the only thing I can think of would be the pressure relief valve in the oil pump. If the pressure is that high and making it through the engine then Id suspect the oil to be spraying very hard inside the engine and starting to create possible bubbles/foam. Pull the dipstick and check to see if perhaps bubbles are on it. At that point Id lean toward the pressure relief valve.
Albert
Daytona Mitsubishi
Parts Manager
Old Aug 20, 2015, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

yes there was foam and bubbles on the dipstick...
Old Aug 21, 2015, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
We see this alot with Chevy's, and unfortunately, alot of their owners don't realize it until all the oil forces itself out and the engine locks up..

There is a blockage with something they built or a problem with the relief valve.. Basically, the oil is trying to circulate like normal, but it can't go anywhere because of the blockage.. So its trying to force its way out the easiest way it can. So the filter is what bites the bullet first. There is a TON of pressure that is going on inside that block.. We've seen oil filters literally blow off of a car because of it. Not gonna be an easy fix.. Gonna have to open her up or send it back..
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

unfortunately I guess that's what has to happen...it's a shame but **** happens...they've been very cooperative, helpful, and are willing to take care of the issue...the only problem is they're in virginia and we're in fl lol...I'm sure we will figure it out though...I'll let you guys know what it was when we find out...thank you all for helping...
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd rent a flatbed tow trailer and drive it up there as it sits. Then they can troubleshoot it, and test it in the car, before handing it back to you guys.

Good luck.