Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Quick question about Canards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Quick question about Canards

APR, Rexpeed, etc.

I understand you need a rivet gun (i have no idea what this is yet). I also understand its better to take it to a bodyshop that actually knows what they are doing.. but.. my quick question is.. Is it necessary for the front bumper to come off? Do you/they have to remove the front bumper to install canards? Or do you just line em up, mark it with a marker, drill?

Does the car need to be jacked up in the air? Do the tires come off if you don't have to take off the bumper?

Thanks!

Last edited by TxFAkuma; Aug 19, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
APR, Rexpeed, etc.

I understand you need a rivet gun (i have no idea what this is yet). I also understand its better to take it to a bodyshop that actually knows what they are doing.. but.. my quick question is.. Is it necessary for the front bumper to come off? Do you/they have to remove the front bumper to install canards? Or do you just line em up, mark it with a marker, drill?

Does the car need to be jacked up in the air? Do the tires come off if you don't have to take off the bumper?

Thanks!
Is this just for appearance? Then just put them on where they look nice and pop rivet away. Maybe use some 3M tape as well. If you are actually intending to use them, such that you want to reduce push by introducing additional down force on the front tire when at speed on the track. You need to do some research, including consideration for tire wear/ temps, compounds, the impact of the rear wing, front splitter size, etc. Recognize that the car needs to be going fast (very) to materially benefit from the wind pressure on the surface area of a canard. Smarter people than me could provide you the math to determine whether you actually want additional down force provided by a canard versus that of a splitter (or combination). Increased down force will reduce your top speed in straights and can increase tire wear on a softer compound tire.

For anything but appearance...you'll need to remove the bumper wheels etc. and ensure they are installed just right. I would suggest a very good race shop.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 08:45 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnr352
Is this just for appearance? Then just put them on where they look nice and pop rivet away. Maybe use some 3M tape as well. If you are actually intending to use them, such that you want to reduce push by introducing additional down force on the front tire when at speed on the track. You need to do some research, including consideration for tire wear/ temps, compounds, the impact of the rear wing, front splitter size, etc. Recognize that the car needs to be going fast (very) to materially benefit from the wind pressure on the surface area of a canard. Smarter people than me could provide you the math to determine whether you actually want additional down force provided by a canard versus that of a splitter (or combination). Increased down force will reduce your top speed in straights and can increase tire wear on a softer compound tire.

For anything but appearance...you'll need to remove the bumper wheels etc. and ensure they are installed just right. I would suggest a very good race shop.
they also direct air towards the wing and away from the wheels. pretty handy. as for so much downforce that it increases tire wear, how bad is that going to be as opposed to sliding around the course? especially understeer.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

That's one hell of an answer! LOL. Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
they also direct air towards the wing and away from the wheels. pretty handy. as for so much downforce that it increases tire wear, how bad is that going to be as opposed to sliding around the course? especially understeer.
I would suggest the total quantity of air directed from the canard to a rear wing to be less than materially influential. As for tire wear versus down force versus understeer. It's not as simple as that, as you want to balance the downforce in the front versus rear, with spring rates, sway, and tire grip to balance the amount of rotation and increase your speed through the turn. Too much front downforce (or too little rear downforce) and you'll accomplish the same thing, for a given speed you'll over rotate the car and it will slow your exit speed. Opposite is true as well of course. Too much rear force (or not enough rotation) and you'll push. And tire wear, when using race tires, is certainly a key factor.

It's not just about reducing understeer, it's about winning.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 02:06 PM
kaj

I would suggest the total quantity of air directed from the canard to a rear wing to be less than materially influential. As for tire wear versus down force versus understeer. It's not as simple as that, as you want to balance the downforce in the front versus rear, with spring rates, sway, and tire grip to balance the amount of rotation and increase your speed through the turn. Too much front downforce (or too little rear downforce) and you'll accomplish the same thing, for a given speed you'll over rotate the car and it will slow your exit speed. Opposite is true as well of course. Too much rear force (or not enough rotation) and you'll push. And tire wear, when using race tires, is certainly a key factor.

It's not just about reducing understeer, it's about winning.

correct. i'm just asking (assume front/rear is balanced) that is the tire wear increase from excessive downforce worse than the tires sliding due to lack thereof?
seems like it would be a fair trade off to me you could drive on the ceiling at the point haha.
i guess i never thought it would cause so much wear. my car is nowhere close to that kind of aero, so i have nooooooo experience with it.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 02:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
correct. i'm just asking (assume front/rear is balanced) that is the tire wear increase from excessive downforce worse than the tires sliding due to lack thereof?
seems like it would be a fair trade off to me you could drive on the ceiling at the point haha.
i guess i never thought it would cause so much wear. my car is nowhere close to that kind of aero, so i have nooooooo experience with it.
Considering adding weight (downforce) has an exponentially diminishing return on grip, yes, there is a point where you'll be running more down force, but the tire simply can't provide more grip depending on the compound and tire size you're running. It's all a balancing act to find the perfect median of going fast, and keeping the tires alive, as well as with in their optimum temp range.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 03:25 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Considering adding weight (downforce) has an exponentially diminishing return on grip, yes, there is a point where you'll be running more down force, but the tire simply can't provide more grip depending on the compound and tire size you're running. It's all a balancing act to find the perfect median of going fast, and keeping the tires alive, as well as with in their optimum temp range.
That would be some serious downforce. Gets me thinking about Formula 1, hill climb, etc. Where aero is so highly developed. Hmmmm....
Old Aug 24, 2015, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My varis canards bolt into the bumper. No reason you have to rivet it. Rivet is very simple, but can't be taken back off easily.

If you bolt it on then you need the car in the air and undertray off at minimum. I would just pull the bumper (it's easy). Drill a hole and stick a bolt through and tighten nut on the other side.

As for performance, canards aren't really used to create downforce themselves anyway. They are more used for controlling airflow, which requires a wind tunnel and a lot more expertise than anyone here has. And complimentary designed body pieces. So canards on this car are always for appearance
Old Aug 24, 2015, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
My varis canards bolt into the bumper. No reason you have to rivet it. Rivet is very simple, but can't be taken back off easily.

If you bolt it on then you need the car in the air and undertray off at minimum. I would just pull the bumper (it's easy). Drill a hole and stick a bolt through and tighten nut on the other side.

As for performance, canards aren't really used to create downforce themselves anyway. They are more used for controlling airflow, which requires a wind tunnel and a lot more expertise than anyone here has. And complimentary designed body pieces. So canards on this car are always for appearance
I may have to go with this instead rivets.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I personally like the look of rivets. And they are very easy to get out if you want. You would just have to get a drill bit about the same size of the hole in the middle of the rivet and they would come right out... Besides once you put holes in the bumper who cares if you have to take them back off I mean they are pretty much gonna be there forever.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
I personally like the look of rivets. And they are very easy to get out if you want. You would just have to get a drill bit about the same size of the hole in the middle of the rivet and they would come right out... Besides once you put holes in the bumper who cares if you have to take them back off I mean they are pretty much gonna be there forever.
I guess i have never seen them with the rivets or bolts comparison. All i know i have Rexpeed canards in a box right now with no bolts but rivets (looks like needles) and i am clueless on how to install these.. I suppose it's time to call a body shop..
Old Aug 24, 2015, 03:56 PM
kaj

Rivets = no need to remove bumper unless you add washers, which I'd recommend anyway, since you're riveting onto plastic.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130

This is not correct. Or, at least not correct when at race track speeds. They are designed, when used properly, to increase downforce (however, in my opinion, in substantially in comparison to other methods) on the front wheels. Use an adjustable splitter for real impact.

Any aero, at less than very high speed, is for appearance.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
I guess i have never seen them with the rivets or bolts comparison. All i know i have Rexpeed canards in a box right now with no bolts but rivets (looks like needles) and i am clueless on how to install these.. I suppose it's time to call a body shop..
Yes, and, for the love of all things fast, do it once, spend the money, do it right.

Quick Reply: Quick question about Canards