Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Low Load Knock, Taking off in first (GSR)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Load Knock, Taking off in first (GSR)

I have posted about my problem on other forums before but nobody really had any solid info on my issue. My car is a 2015 Evo GSR.

I have fairly consistently experienced knock sums on my AP anywhere from 1 to 16 when taking off in first gear, load is usually between 50 and 80. This problem is present almost all the time but becomes more prevalent/increases knock sum value as the car gets hotter. If I take off super gently there is usually no knock detected. If I take off more harshly more knock, usually but not always.

I thought maybe the problem was my cat pipe banging around but I replaced it with an ETS and nothing has changed. This problem is present on both of my maps (one for gas one for E85). My tuner said that knock sums as high as my AP is reading out are almost impossible for such low load in 1st gear. I agree with him but I am trying to get to the bottom of where the knock is coming from.

My only thought is that the knock sensors could be picking up clutch noise. I don't know if this is normal for a car with 5,000 miles but I'm not sure where else to really go with this problem. If anyone has experienced something similar please let me know.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 04:05 AM

is it stock? if not what do you have done beside the ets cat pipe? im assuming your tuner has tuned the car and says its safe? when taking off in first are you bogging it at all?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by The Phantom
is it stock? if not what do you have done beside the ets cat pipe? im assuming your tuner has tuned the car and says its safe? when taking off in first are you bogging it at all?
Turbo back exhaust, fuel injectors and pump, 3-port, uicp, panel air filter. No bogging when taking off and yes I was dyno tuned on gas and e85. Tunes are perfect.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 07:23 AM

only thing i could guess would be part of the exhaust. check make sure its not loose in anyway. taking off in first could cause some vibration and any tap in the exhaust could cause false knock readings. i think most of the time people ignore knock in this situation as its typically false. if your not getting any knock at WOT then probably fine
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:13 AM

I've pretty much ruled out the exhaust as I have tried many different hanger bolts on my cobb cat pipe and eventually switched over to the ets, all made no difference.

I have noticed while driving that the knock is usually detected after the clutch pedal is completely let out.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:01 AM

but doesnt do it at WOT right?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by The Phantom
but doesnt do it at WOT right?
No, this is strictly, but consistently, when taking off in first gear between 50 and 80 load. Never at WOT or in boost.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:07 AM

still stock clutch?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:10 AM

Yes, still on the stock clutch. I have noticed my cmc is squeaky but everyone I have asked said it is normal.