Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Winter/Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter/Performance Tires

Hello guys,

I am new to the the forums and wanted to hear from you guys what winter tires you guys would recommend and which brand is the best bang for the buck.

I have the stock Yoko Advan summer tires on but I heard that these are terrible in the winter. Also, wanted to know what was the main difference between winter performance tires and regular winter tires.

I've been looking at Bridgestone Blizzaks and Pirelli's Sottozeros in Tirerack but both of these are quite pricy, unless both may be worth the investment.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
If you get any kind of snow, do NOT drive on the stock tires.

Get a set of winters off of tire rack. Really, any winter tire you get will make a world of difference. The Yoko's are just dangerous in the snow.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by shekaar
If you get any kind of snow, do NOT drive on the stock tires.

Get a set of winters off of tire rack. Really, any winter tire you get will make a world of difference. The Yoko's are just dangerous in the snow.
Is the evo capable of handling some canadian snow with all seasons or does it need dedicated snow tires
Old Oct 19, 2015, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Some all seasons (with an "S" rating like the Continental DWS) are ok but snow tires are always better when it's really cold or when there's more than an inch of snow (or a few cm in your case).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, the advans will kill you in the winter. Any winter tire will work just fine.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 08:51 PM

Yeah, I'm actually looking at the new model Continental DWS 06. They have pretty good rating overall and are not too pricy. The only problem is that there isn't customer feedback on how they handle in snow yet since they were just announced sometime in May this year. Tirerack rates them the best all seasons though.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 09:17 PM

I can attest to the stock tires wanting to kill you in snow. I was on my way home from school and it was flurrying and I was in snow mode the whole car got sideways. As far as winter tires I would say Bridgestone Blizzaks best winter tire in my opinion.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by JakeSoberman
I can attest to the stock tires wanting to kill you in snow. I was on my way home from school and it was flurrying and I was in snow mode the whole car got sideways. As far as winter tires I would say Bridgestone Blizzaks best winter tire in my opinion.
I actually ended up choosing Blizzaks WS80's, can't go wrong with Blizzaks. Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Heccnj92
I actually ended up choosing Blizzaks WS80's, can't go wrong with Blizzaks. Thanks.
Good choice. I got a set of Blizzak WS60's when I first got my car, they're on my stock rims. Snow and ice are laugable now
Old Oct 20, 2015, 09:29 AM

Winter tires indeed make a world of difference, and even with no snow, if your temperature is below freezing a lot, they grip better too. And honestly they make the evo ride a little softer too, just a little added benefit. I have the General Altimax Arctic's and I love 'em, can tear through any amount of snow no problem on the evo
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The only bad thing about the softer ride is that annoying bounce you get from sidewall's flexing
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's also about budget too, what you can afford also plays a role. I got lucky last year and winter we only had one or two small snow storms. However; I don't think I will get lucky like that again, so I'll have to get some all-weather tires(which is better than running summer tires like I did) or dedicated snow tires(and hopefully be able to afford new rims come spring time).
Has anyone used All-Weather performance tires, wonder if they are something worthwhile to get and just use year round(I don't really race or go drifting in my car )
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard all season tires are good for about one winter after that they aren't so good in the snow. However since you drove with summer performance tires im sure you wont mind that
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Blizzaks all the way. I buy used because I only use them for about 3 months out of the year, so I get a couple of seasons out of them at a discounted price.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
All season vs snow tires.

Quick Reply: Winter/Performance Tires