Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking for thoughts on possible trade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for thoughts on possible trade

Hey guys, I'm looking at possibly getting a 2010 Evo X with 47k miles.

My current car, and the one that will be traded, is a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 RSPEC with bolt ons and tune.

Not considering price, do you think this would be an upgrade on my end? Here is a link to the car I'm looking at:
http://www.vadennissan.com/used/Mits...14a89b4613.htm

Maybe someone here knows who's car it was? I live about 3 hours from this dealership so just going to take a look is a little harder than normal. I love my Genesis, but I've always said I'd get rid of it for an Evo.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Here's a picture of my Genesis...
Attached Thumbnails Looking for thoughts on possible trade-gen.jpg  
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Yes.
You seem so sure... lol
Old Nov 8, 2015, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

A majority of the board will tell you to get the X and I'm sure a majority of the Genesis board will tell you to keep the Genesis. If you haven't already, just test drive an X and see if you instantly love it. If you don't, easy decision.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 01:38 AM

My main concern is this car in particular. I'm definitely more interested in performance over looks/features (Even though I think the Evo looks amazing as well). I'm just curious if THIS Evo is worth the trade, or if I should be looking for a newer model, less miles, etc. I'm still trying to read and learn as much as possible about these cars in the mean time.

I'm going to try and drive down to this dealership maybe Wed, but if I'm trading my Gen in then I'd like to pull the aftermarket parts off and put my OEM parts back on. I'd just hate to do all that work and drive all that way to realize this isn't the Evo I should get, then drive all the way back home and put all those parts back on again.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo will always have better, handling and performance if that is what you are looking for go for evo man.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you want awd, four doors and a turbo or not?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Also make sure to get insurance quotes on the Evo.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 08:18 PM

Yeah I checked insurance on this one already. Came up $7/month cheaper.

And yes, I do want AWD, four doors, and a turbo, which is why I am looking at an Evo. Again, I'm curious about this particular car, not all Evo's in general.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 03:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's six years old with 50k miles for 25k. You can get a new one for under 35. With no warranty, you have to be prepared to replace expensive things like the clutch, tires, fluid changes in the foreseeable future. No one on here can tell you if it's a good deal, we don't know how it's been treated. Used evos are always a gamble. Check the carfax and get a pre purchase inspection done by an evo shop before you buy it. That is your best defense at getting a good one.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngryEvo
It's six years old with 50k miles for 25k. You can get a new one for under 35. With no warranty, you have to be prepared to replace expensive things like the clutch, tires, fluid changes in the foreseeable future. No one on here can tell you if it's a good deal, we don't know how it's been treated. Used evos are always a gamble. Check the carfax and get a pre purchase inspection done by an evo shop before you buy it. That is your best defense at getting a good one.
I agree^ Honestly I would buy a new evo. The peace of mind you have from it is well worth the extra 5k - 10k. Trust me when I say that. You don't know how the previous owner drove the car and you don't know what underlying problems the car has. It may "Test drive" well when you drive it, but its hard to diagnose from just that one 5 min drive.

My first evo was a used 2012 with only 10,000 miles on it. sounds amazing right? Dealership said it was clean blah blah blah. 2 months later I wanted to bomb the car because the transmission was faulty and the gearbox felt like someone threw nuts and bolts between the gears, found out the clutch was replaced once already, and the AWD system was about to get destroyed because the ACD-fluid was basically non existent. How the f**k did the previous guy drive it?
And these issues weren't even present when I bought the damn thing. I noticed them slowly after I got the used car.

Long story short I traded it in for a new evo, and I am SO happy with it because I know everything I do to it and if there is an issue I know what it is. I had to pay 6k extra with the trade in but the peace of mind was so worth it to me. To this day, not a single problem.

I would say go for a new Evo and try to stay away from used ones IF YOU CAN. That is if you can. If you cant dish out another 10k and need to have an evo, then go for this 25k one but just expect the unexpected. Especially from an Evo.
Good Luck!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
If your really worried or serious about it find a shop and take it there and have them look it over for you so you can get a better idea of what you are buying.