Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

02 Sensor Bypass - Getting rid of Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Sensor Bypass - Getting rid of Check Engine Light

I recently installed an exhaust, and removed the cat in lieu of a test pipe. I also installed one of the 90 degree elbows which is supposed to put the sensor out of the flow and prevent the check engine light from coming on. This worked perfectly on my Ralliart, but now does not seem to be working with the Evo. (2010 GSR). Any ideas on why this isn't working? Do I need to get a new bypass with the inserts in it? My current one simply moves the sensor out of the exhaust system and adds a 90 degree bend.

Is there anything else I can do?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 02:25 PM

What code are you getting?

You can try adding an O2 spacer, which may or may not help. Your tuner (if you're adding a test pipe, you should be tuned for it) should also be able to turn off the code in the tune.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 07:55 AM

I'll double check the code this afternoon. I have a COBB Tuning accessport, so not a professional tuner. Can I utilize the COBB maps to eliminate the code?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes the Stage 2 map will most likely eliminate the code. But when it comes time to pass emmisions it wont pass with the cobb stage 2 map. At least it wouldn't for me because I kept getting dinged for the 02 sensor being not ready.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 01:42 PM

The AP will essentially turn off the rear O2 completely to eliminate the code, giving a red flag for OBD II testing, whereas a custom tune can target specific rear O2 codes and not fail OBD II emissions testing.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 03:25 PM

Check out your local autozone for a "spark plug non fouler" aka an o2 spacer, should work like a charm.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 09:19 AM

Thanks... I will check AutoZone tonight.

I do run the Stage 2 map, but apparently that hasn't reset the code.

Here is the code my AP shows:

P2096 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System. Too Lean.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 07:15 AM

I am confused - what is the spark plug fouler going to improve? I was assuming my issue was due to the removal of the cat... causing the rear O2 sensor to trip the error?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
usually what is happening is because the cat is gone the o2 sensor is picking up 2 much air. So adding the spacer or spark plug fouler is going to put a little distance between the O2 sensor and the exhaust so it wont pick up as much of the gasses flowing through there.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 01:01 PM
2x4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One would think the 90 degree elbow you installed would be better than the plug fouler. I have the j shaped vibrant extension and haven't had any problems.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go into the Global Settings on Access Tuner Race (download for free from cobb's website), and click the box for Disable Rear O2 (offroad only). This will eliminate the signal for the rear O2. Also, with anything other than a Stage 0 map (IIRC), the global settings for DTCs involving the O2 sensor will be turned off.

I may be off on some of the exact wording, as I am at my office and don't have ATR installed here lol.

And for the record, once you do this, you can actually remove the O2 sensor completely. I do that to keep it from fouling in the oxygen stream.

EDIT: Here is the link for Access Tuner Race
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/a...cesstuner-race

You have to request it with the serial # from your AP, year, and trim and they will email you a link to download it. It's handy for stuff like this, but very limited in what you can do with it. Really, i just used it to scale for differnet intakes I have run, tip out enleanment for VTA BOV, and DTCs.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 05:44 PM

rico05 - I have APR installed. I have searched in Global Map Settings, and can't find anything relating to the O2 sensor. Here are the options I am seeing:

Alternate Map ADC Threshold
Alternate Map Load Threshold
Alternate Map Master (0=OFF, 1=5AV DC, 2=CruiseControl, 3=TPS, 4=Ground ADC
Alternate Map Time to Activate
Knock CEL Flash Time
KnockSum Required for Fast CEL (High Knock)
KnockSum Required for Slow CEL (Low Knock)
Load Required for CEL on Knock
Old Oct 25, 2021, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nicker31
I'll double check the code this afternoon. I have a COBB Tuning accessport, so not a professional tuner. Can I utilize the COBB maps to eliminate the code?
So just to help and not what this thread is even about but Cobb tune is very incompatible with Evos. If you have one? Not trying to intrude just trying to save you haha. My Cobb ecu read my AFR at 10-11… but when I got it professionally tuned turns out I was running at 23 LEAN boiii not good
Old Dec 31, 2021, 09:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 'service engine soon light' is on as well. I will say I just had a brand new motor installed because the dealership tech didn't tighten the oil drain plug all the way. So after four months,I got my car back. I do videos if anyone wants to check out.
I left paperwork images as to what went on with what had happened. They are in .ZIP form, and I have them posted throughout the video as well..

AT ANY RATE. When I picked my car up, the service engine light came on that same night I took the car home. Went back and found that 'dtc's for o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2'.

need less to say I had to go back down and get a brand new 02 sensor installed. I forgot that before the motor blew, I never had this light on because I believe I had so much carbon built up that it didn't effect the mid pipe, or test pipe, whatever the hell its called. Now, with the new motor it's throwing a code.

I've been told this isn't good. But I didn't have time to fart around with it, cause I leave for my parents house here in Myrtle Beach, SC for the holidays Christmas, and New Years, and go back north to CT at the end of January.

So, I actually drove the car down. I will say I'm a *****, I don't even want to redline the car and or beat on it, in afraid of doing something bad to the new motor. But I actually bought

I hope when I go to the dealership before I leave to do the oil change they can put this on, in hopes of turning that damn light off.

How bad is it running around with this light on? Running lean on a turbo car isn't good I hear. I've been told that I need a tune. Which I had no clue since I never had this light on before when I had the old motor. I figured if I got a downpipe I would def need a tune. But what do I know. Sorry for the long *** rant!

I'm trying to get myself an AP right now, there's absolutely nothing around Myrtle Beach, SC and within 40 miles. and I don't feel like paying 400$. I had a friend who was willing to sell me hers for $250, but she is afraid to send out since her boyfriend caught Covid. . I"m trying to get ahold of CP-E.com here in Spartanburg, SC to set up a pro tune, I haven't heard back from them yet.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 07:12 AM

Same

Originally Posted by HoodieWeather
My 'service engine soon light' is on as well. I will say I just had a brand new motor installed because the dealership tech didn't tighten the oil drain plug all the way. So after four months,I got my car back. I do videos if anyone wants to check out. Update On EVO X I left paperwork images as to what went on with what had happened. They are in .ZIP form, and I have them posted throughout the video as well..

AT ANY RATE. When I picked my car up, the service engine light came on that same night I took the car home. Went back and found that 'dtc's for o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2'.

need less to say I had to go back down and get a brand new 02 sensor installed. I forgot that before the motor blew, I never had this light on because I believe I had so much carbon built up that it didn't effect the mid pipe, or test pipe, whatever the hell its called. Now, with the new motor it's throwing a code.

I've been told this isn't good. But I didn't have time to fart around with it, cause I leave for my parents house here in Myrtle Beach, SC for the holidays Christmas, and New Years, and go back north to CT at the end of January.

So, I actually drove the car down. I will say I'm a *****, I don't even want to redline the car and or beat on it, in afraid of doing something bad to the new motor. But I actually bought

I hope when I go to the dealership before I leave to do the oil change they can put this on, in hopes of turning that damn light off.

How bad is it running around with this light on? Running lean on a turbo car isn't good I hear. I've been told that I need a tune. Which I had no clue since I never had this light on before when I had the old motor. I figured if I got a downpipe I would def need a tune. But what do I know. Sorry for the long *** rant!

I'm trying to get myself an AP right now, there's absolutely nothing around Myrtle Beach, SC and within 40 miles. and I don't feel like paying 400$. I had a friend who was willing to sell me hers for $250, but she is afraid to send out since her boyfriend caught Covid. . I"m trying to get ahold of CP-E.com here in Spartanburg, SC to set up a pro tune, I haven't heard back from them yet.
I’m located in Savannah Georgia and yeah I mean I got my car professionally tuned in Florida, then on the way home service engine light came on and it was the good ole P0420 (bank 1 sensor), I bought a denso O2 sensor, installed it, cleared the code… and that **** came right back on… sooooo next I’m gonna try to fake out my computer and get an O2 sensor. I bought Denso because OEM O2 sensor for my 2008 Evo X MR would have been 200 something I think… lmk if you get your light cleared off though because I’ve been driving on mine for a few months now

Quick Reply: 02 Sensor Bypass - Getting rid of Check Engine Light