Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Spark Plugs

At the moment I have UR resonated test pipe and cat back, CBRD intercooler and depo uicp/licp, ETS intake, Grimmspeed 3 port & CBRD tune.
My car has a hair over 10k miles on it, 2014 GSR. Would it be worthwhile to install new spark plugs, one step colder? If so, can somebody recommend exactly which ones, with a link would be appreciated. I don't really know much about spark plugs, so I don't want to get the wrong ones.
Another question would be, is there anything else that might boost performance, aside from a downpipe, injectors, turbo or cams? That I can do between now and when I upgrade my turbo?
I was also interested in the shifter bushings? I installed those on my 4G Eclipse GT and they really made it feel a lot tighter. I wasn't sure if the 2014 model had this already, because most of the ones I've looked at say 2008-2010 model years. I know they would fit, but if my car already has them, what's the point? Can somebody point out which upgrades, aside from a clutch, can improve my shifts?
My last question is about motor mounts and torque dampers. Again, they really improved the throttle response on my Eclipse, but the Evo already has a ton of decent factory parts I would sooner not mess with. But honestly, I'm getting bored and I want to work on my car. Improve it any way I can. I ditched as much free weight as I can without compromising safety or comfort as it's my daily driver and I drive my daughter around a lot.
I would ask that you please bear with me, I realize these questions have probably already been addressed countless times on the forums, but there are just so many threads on here that tracking down the correct info can be difficult and very time consuming not to mention outdated in many cases.
Thanks for taking the time, it's much appreciated.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
All of these things have been covered multiple times try the search option and you will find all of those awnsers.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Talk to your tuner about this, Chad will have the best information since he tuned your car.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, you need spark plugs.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
As I understand it there are actually two part numbers for factory spark plugs.

1822A021 (2008-2009) Cooler
1822A079 (2010+) Hotter

I actually blew a plug in cylinder #4 with 30k miles on the odometer. I have a 2012 GSR. I replaced all 4 with the colder 2008 plugs. I don't think they are a full step colder or anything like that. Most tuning shops seem to sell the 1822A021 plugs. I think at "normal" power levels the colder stock plugs should suffice. If you are going way over 100hp more than stock or running high boost you may want to go colder but I would talk to your tuner.

As far as shifting goes I think what you really want is the under hood/gate selector bushing(s). The base bushings are cheap and really easy to install but the only tighten up the shifter cage as it bolts to the car frame. Eliminates slop in shifting but doesn't really affect the gates if that makes sense. Still worth doing though.

I would just replace every shift bushing you can lol.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 06:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
All of these things have been covered multiple times try the search option and you will find all of those awnsers.
I help people all the time on the Nvidia Geforce forums. That's what I know about. When people ask for help, even if the subject is redundant, I help them. Reliable information that isn't outdated is hard to find, and if someone is willing to take a few minutes to help, that's fine. I thank you for it. I don't want to spend money on something that is unnecessary or might not fit.
If you want to know how to maximize performance on your computer, I can help with that. Unfortunately, cars is a subject I'm fairly new to.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we have never had an issue except with early gen plugs when the cars first came out-

if it aint broke- dont fix it

cb