Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking for feedback on future mod plans

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for feedback on future mod plans

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new here and have been lurking for a while. I had a built caliber SRT4 previously, so I'm not new to boosted cars and I have used ECUFlash on my 04 Dodge Stratus, but I am trying to familiarize myself with the Evo Platform.

I've been reading as much as I can and think I have compiled a list of parts for what I plan to install Spring 2016. Details below. Please let me know your feedback and your advise is always welcome.

Car:
2012 MG Evo X MR

Current Mods: (Plan here was to quickly get ready for a track day at NJMSP earlier this year, right after buying the car.)
-Rally Armor Mudflaps
-AMS SST Cooler
-Accessport V3 with AMS STX 300 flash
-245 Bridgestone RE11 (left over from the Caliber SRT4)

Goal for the future:
-Reliable build
-Approach the max of the stock turbo
-Be within the safety zone of stock SST clutch packs
-Don't make the suspension too stiff, need to keep the car reasonably riding for the wife and little guy
-Don't go over $10k

Future Mods:
-AMS Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X/Ralliart High-Flow Cat
-Corsa Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Dual Tip Catback Exhaust System [14858] - polished
-AMS Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Front Mount Intercooler
-AMS Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Upper Intercooler Pipe / Hot Pipe *Polished*
-Whiteline Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X 27mm Heavy Duty Front Sway Bar
-Whiteline Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Heavy Duty 27mm Rear Sway Bar
-Whiteline Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII/VIII/IX/X Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit
-AMS Remote Oil Pressure Sending Unit Line
-AEM Digital Wideband Air/Fuel Gauge - UEGO [30-4110]
-AMS Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X "Widemouth" Downpipe
-AMS Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Performance Intake
-SSP Evo X/Ralliart SST Heated Transmission Sump
-Tune (93 octane followed by 93 octane + Meth), I'm kind of leaning for a ETune
-Dyno session to get a graph and finalize the tune
-Single Aeroforce Mitsubishi CNi series gauge display color: red - item #CNiM401, Cable: 9 foot
-Aeroforce custom face mitsubishi logo black
-Grimmspeed Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
-ATI 60mm ezPod Triple Meter Center Dash Pod (Mitsubishi Evo X)
-Rexspeed ABS Double Pod (Mitsubishi Evo X)
-AEM Analog 30-0-35psi Boost Gauge [30-5132] black face
-ATI Adapter Rings 60mm to 52mm (3 Pack)
-AEM Analog 0-100psi Oil Pressure Gauge [30-5133] black face
-Tactrix Openport 2.0 Reflash Adapters: All
-Docooler Obd-ii Obd2 16pin Male to Female Extension Cable Diagnostic Extender 150cm (5ft)
-SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-032G-GN6MA)
-switch for trans cooler
-relay for trans cooler
-Driven Fab Evo X PCV Delete Fitting
-Driven Fab Evo X Air Oil Separator* Textured Black / 8an Plastic Cover
-MAP 2007-2015 EVO X/Mazdaspeed 3/6 DW65C 265 LPH In-Tank Fuel Pump w/ Install Kit by DeatschWerks (9-651-1026)
-Aquamist Meth Injection 806-063 HFS3-v3 system A truly progressive system utilizing PWM valve. :red led color, 1mm jet (should i go twin .6 jets?, what about mounting locations for the jet/jets?) with twin 5l drilled and baffled meth tanks (on the left side of the truck, I don't have the subwoofer)
-DevilsOwn brew 4 gallons x2

Tune Plans:
-Open Source
-Tephra Mod, using resistor based ADC map switching hooked up to the Meth system
-If I get to 350whp/350wtq that would be awesome, but if we can push that HP # higher without over loading the SST clutch packs that would be even better.
-I was leaning towards an ETune for the tune, but I'm close enough to shops around NJ to go through a shop for a dyno tune as well.

Other questions

-Is an aftermarket BOV a good plan? I'm fine with stock as long as it holds appropriately. It's an MR so it has the metal BOV (I had heard some GSRs had plastic ones that performed worse).

-Do we think the stock injectors are capable of the power I outlined above? I was under the impression it would be pushing it, but I would be OK. If an injector upgrade is required, what size should I go with? 800s?

-I know I left off a turbo upgrade, but I would be concerned about the clutch packs with more power? Is that warranted?

-I read Tepha's long meth install thread, however the pictures of the meth nozzle location are now broken links. If any one has single or dual meth nozzle install pics on an X that would be awesome (preferably an aquamist setup).

Let me know what you think and thanks again for any input.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I think as long as you keep the stock turbo and stay away from E85, the stock fuel system doesn't need upgraded.

You will essentially be purchasing a piecemeal equivalent to the AMS STX400 package which should take you to the 320-350whp range depending on the dyno. That should put you at $3-4k assuming you do the install yourself.

I saw you plan to do front and rear sways which is a good plan IMO. Just be warned, aftermarket endlinks can be noisy, mine never shut up. You also mentioned a roll center kit, how do you intend to lower the car? I didn't see in your list but I only skim read it.

I would stay away from coilovers unless you can tolerate more ride harshness. Some people claim coilovers can ride better than stock but I call shenanigans on that. It's been a while since I drove a stock suspension Evo but I remember it riding fairly well. I have sway bars on full settings front and rear and 10kg/mm springs with Ohlins shocks all round and the ride is quite rough.

Mine is a GSR so I can't exactly comment on the SST but from what I've read it can handle the stock turbo 93oct power just fine. You can always upgrade the clutch packs but I am assuming this is very costly in terms of labor.

The stock BOV should be fine for the power/boost levels. As far as I know they are all the same MR vs. GSR (mine is metal).
Old Nov 23, 2015, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Details below.

Originally Posted by DeweyD
I think as long as you keep the stock turbo and stay away from E85, the stock fuel system doesn't need upgraded.
I wasn't sure as I have heard conflicting reports, but generally I agree. Also my other concern would be, given I plan to run meth that might up the fuel requirements. The fuel pump is just over $100, so it might be cheap insurance.

You will essentially be purchasing a piecemeal equivalent to the AMS STX400 package which should take you to the 320-350whp range depending on the dyno. That should put you at $3-4k assuming you do the install yourself.
Yeah, essentially that is what is I'm doing. The problem lies with AMS only tunes with the access port and I really want to go open source for the added SST tables + the ability to quickly and easily edit the tune myself. So I have to buy it piecemeal. And yes, i do plan to do the install myself.

I saw you plan to do front and rear sways which is a good plan IMO. Just be warned, aftermarket endlinks can be noisy, mine never shut up. You also mentioned a roll center kit, how do you intend to lower the car? I didn't see in your list but I only skim read it.

I would stay away from coilovers unless you can tolerate more ride harshness. Some people claim coilovers can ride better than stock but I call shenanigans on that. It's been a while since I drove a stock suspension Evo but I remember it riding fairly well. I have sway bars on full settings front and rear and 10kg/mm springs with Ohlins shocks all round and the ride is quite rough.
I agree with you here. The plan was to upgrade the sway bars, but stick with stock end links. That should cut down the noise (I hope). That being said your Evo must handle amazingly.

I heard that the front swaybar on full hard can cause a little understeer, have you experienced that?

From your response it looks the roll center kit wouldn't be needed given I don't plan to lower the car?

Mine is a GSR so I can't exactly comment on the SST but from what I've read it can handle the stock turbo 93oct power just fine. You can always upgrade the clutch packs but I am assuming this is very costly in terms of labor.
Yup, I did it myself its like 2.5k (not sure I even feel comfortable doing that). I bet at least 1k labor for a pro to do it.

The stock BOV should be fine for the power/boost levels. As far as I know they are all the same MR vs. GSR (mine is metal).
Good to know.

Last edited by WeirdGuyXp; Nov 23, 2015 at 10:10 PM.