Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Keep My Ralliart or Go Used or New Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KyleR711
That's the hard part. I see the two cars very similar so I kinda just wanna keep the RA but because it's getting older I kinda wanna trade in for an MR as well. Some parts don't fit as the Evo has a wider body kit. I think exhaust systems mainly are routed differently.

Starting to mod a car at 100K though you think is a good idea?

Only other reason I wanna upgrade is because the Evo is now discontinued. I don't want them to be very rare to find new let's say a year or two from now and not be able to buy one. You think this is a worry or nothing to be concerned about?
Trust me, man. They r two completely different animals. RA, a nice daily fun but comfortable ride VS Evo, a serious 4 door race machine. I had a RA hatchback and traded it in for an Evo SE (sst) after an autoX event w RA. Evo is so much connected and handles superb. U have to deal with the rough ride, low mpg and high maintenance cost though. I have daily driven my 2011 Evo MR since it's new (6miles) and track it several times a year, still love it as the day one lol. Good luck on hunting ur new ride!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
There won't be new ones available in two years. Dealer stocks are dropping daily. Not flying off the shelves, but me and a few others I have read on the forum got in now because of them being discontinued. Grab one if it means a lot to you.
Thinking on going for it! 😁 I know my RA has life left in it but it's now or a year or two later. I want one before they're all gone.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by odin
Trust me, man. They r two completely different animals. RA, a nice daily fun but comfortable ride VS Evo, a serious 4 door race machine. I had a RA hatchback and traded it in for an Evo SE (sst) after an autoX event w RA. Evo is so much connected and handles superb. U have to deal with the rough ride, low mpg and high maintenance cost though. I have daily driven my 2011 Evo MR since it's new (6miles) and track it several times a year, still love it as the day one lol. Good luck on hunting ur new ride!
Thanks for the input! Looking around currently to see which dealer can give me the best price and then have it shipped to my location. Been seeing dealers list it at MSRP and others listing it 5K$ below MSRP. So shipping it will be worth it.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KyleR711
Thanks for the input! Looking around currently to see which dealer can give me the best price and then have it shipped to my location. Been seeing dealers list it at MSRP and others listing it 5K$ below MSRP. So shipping it will be worth it.
Nice! I did exactly the same thing, bought my MR out of state and got it shipped to my front door lol.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by odin
Nice! I did exactly the same thing, bought my MR out of state and got it shipped to my front door lol.
Oh didn't know they did it to your actual house lol that's great. I was thinking they'd send it to another dealer near me. That's better yet though
Old Dec 30, 2015, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Just know that when evos hit 100k they becoming pretty expensive to maintain. My 08 GSR was a nightmare at 130k. Everything that broke on the car was over 1k but I also racked up alot miles on it due to my commute. But if you can afford to buy a new one I would do that but there are some good used evos out there that have been taken care of it.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jayevo23
Just know that when evos hit 100k they becoming pretty expensive to maintain. My 08 GSR was a nightmare at 130k. Everything that broke on the car was over 1k but I also racked up alot miles on it due to my commute. But if you can afford to buy a new one I would do that but there are some good used evos out there that have been taken care of it.
Examples of expensive work needed please.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:25 AM

Just wanted to keep you guys updated. I have fuel leaking into my oil on my RA now I'm thinking. I also have a crack in a transmission line leaking oil. Gonna get an estimate tomorrow or the next day on how much that costs to fix. Might just end up ditching the car on the spot and buying an Evo soon then. I'll confirm with you all what the problem ends up being and see if any of you have some input for me in this kind of situation.

Thanks again for all of you that are staying tuned!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Sell it and get an Evo.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 08:12 AM

Evo.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 09:48 PM

ANOTHER UPDATE: First off, thank you to all the responded to my last post giving input on what to do with my current car. I took my car into the dealership yesterday and they came back saying the only thing wrong was a broken transmission line clamp that was causing the line to leak oil. So apparently there was no fuel in the oil even though the dip stick had a feint smell of fuel to me. Also, the muffler has some holes in it which was causing the strong exhaust smell on start up and idle they said. Lastly, the protective plastic guards at the bottom of the engine were broken and parts missing (I guess I hit something lol).

So for right now my repair list is this: Fix the holes in the muffler, replace/repair the protective plastic guards under the engine, new brakes within a month or two, new rear tires after winter, Replace drive belts (for the generator, water pump, power steering pump), Change transfer oil, Change engine coolant, and Change rear axle oil (differential part and torque transfer part).

I have quite a bit of maintenance now that the car just hit 106K and then the couple things to fix from my last dealership visit.

So now, knowing all this, what would be all of your final opinions? Keep the RA or just upgrade to an EVO now?

PS: From my financial standpoint, I could afford Evo payments right now. However, I still have a bit of a college loan to pay off and I'm working a job that I want to stay with for only the next few years or so and may have to return to college again for a different career path. I wanted to let you guys know a little about my situation before deciding if I should go Evo or keep the RA. I enjoy my RA but the miles are getting high. Idk what's in store for maintenance or repairs within the future so if some of you with more knowledge on these cars and what parts seem to go on them and when could help out I'd appreciate it. I just don't wanna do all of the maintenance right now to end up seeing something huge going in the near future that always goes on these cars but I didn't know about it because I wasn't informed.

Thank you all again very much, and any input is always welcome!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you want us to tell you to keep the RA. Keep the RA.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Sounds like you want us to tell you to keep the RA. Keep the RA.
Not necessarily. Just having a real hard time making a decision lol. I'm also at home right now so I could put a lot towards a new car. But that could change as well in a year or two. I guess it's the unknown making it a problem for me. The unknown of when's could be moving out, Evo's possibly being almost sold out, my RA falling apart. Who knows lol
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like you cannot realistically afford one if anything changes. Save up and buy a house or condo man and get outta moms house! lol
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:13 AM

In my opinion, I would say get the Evo! I could honestly hardly afford the payments right now, but the fat smile I get everytime I drive it is worth it

Quick Reply: Keep My Ralliart or Go Used or New Evo?