Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Evo X Owner!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015 | 12:01 PM

New Evo X Owner!

Hey Guys, I just bought my dream car which is a 2014 Evo X GSR around a month ago and it is probably one of the best decisions of my life so far! I upgraded from a Stanced Corolla and this thing is sooooo much faster and fun to drive. I'm very new to the whole Evo/Turbo/Tuning/AWD/Manual scene so I hope to be able to expand my knowledge through this forum. I have already learned a lot from just reading old posts.

A couple of things that came with my car (I bought it used at 14k miles):
-Cobb Lowering Springs
-OEM Mitsubishi Window Visors

A couple of things I added to the car in the month that I've owned it (I couldn't sleep on those Black Friday Sales haha) :
-Cobb Accessport
-ETS Extreme Exhaust
-K&N Typhoon Intake
-Stoptech Rear Brake pads (the Ferodo's it came with were done)
-Misc standard things like window tint, shift knob, etc..

A couple things that I want to get in the near future:
-Sway bars
-Vortex Generator
-Downpipe/test pipe
-upgraded intercooler
-high quality coilovers with camber plates
-nice wheels with grippy tires

I am very new to the Evo scene so I would like to get recommendations and advice from you guys on what to look out for ( ie: common flaws or malfunctions etc) and also recommendations on parts I should get for the future. I do enjoy working on my car (I've done everything on my Corolla) and I just did basic maintenance such as oil change with Eneos, and Redline tranny fluid etc. I would prefer not to bring it to a shop unless it's something I cannot do such as alignments or tires and things of that nature. Also I live in the Bay Area, CA and I'm looking for a group or people that I can meet and learn new things about this awesome car! Merry Christmas!

Here's a pic of my old car:
Name:  _MG_7996.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  309.9 KB

Here's a pic of my current car :
Name:  evo%20xscar.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  99.2 KB
Old Dec 26, 2015 | 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

That's a great choice over your last car, and I wish your relationship with the new Evo rewards you for many years to come!

2014 GSR is remarkably more reliable car than the previous model-year ones in my opinion. For example, it no longers has the fuel pump relay problem. Therefore, there are only a few things I would do if I were you.

Recommended mods for your Evo:
1) Mudflaps
2) Clear bra, wrap the rear quarter panel areas near the end of side skirts at well
3) Kracka's Ultimate Shifter Package
4) Clamp/strap the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) hose

Not recommended mods for your Evo:
1) Any slammed/stanced-related mods
Old Dec 27, 2015 | 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lightsaber
That's a great choice over your last car, and I wish your relationship with the new Evo rewards you for many years to come!

2014 GSR is remarkably more reliable car than the previous model-year ones in my opinion. For example, it no longers has the fuel pump relay problem. Therefore, there are only a few things I would do if I were you.

Recommended mods for your Evo:
1) Mudflaps
2) Clear bra, wrap the rear quarter panel areas near the end of side skirts at well
3) Kracka's Ultimate Shifter Package
4) Clamp/strap the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) hose

Not recommended mods for your Evo:
1) Any slammed/stanced-related mods

I second this lol
Old Dec 27, 2015 | 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't do the intercooler just yet. Personally I would get rid of the accessport and try to run e85 if possible. E85 requires fuel pump, injectors and tune. If you were to go e85 I'd do full bolt ons if possible so you only have to tune it once.
Old Dec 30, 2015 | 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

welcome to the club, but as others have mentioned, don't do to the Evo what you did to the Corolla, as you'll ruin it. The suspension in the Evo is very good from the factory, I'd do some track days and get comfortable with it, and then when you reach the limits of the car, you can go about modifying it hopefully with the right parts/people.
Old Dec 30, 2015 | 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

The 2014 doesn't have the fuel pump recall? I thought it did..?
Old Dec 31, 2015 | 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Nice evo congrats!! A stanced Corolla though?! Hahahahha
Old Dec 31, 2015 | 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo
Nice evo congrats!! A stanced Corolla though?! Hahahahha
I love your av. I was going to go gray or red. Was a coin toss.
Old Dec 31, 2015 | 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks man. Grey or white were my first choices until I saw the red in person. It's just gorgeous. Honestly I like the evo in any color lol.
Old Dec 31, 2015 | 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo
Thanks man. Grey or white were my first choices until I saw the red in person. It's just gorgeous. Honestly I like the evo in any color lol.
Do you have a full size image? Would love to see it. Hardest decision was color. I sat there just staring at the two side by side. haha Win win in my book.
Old Dec 31, 2015 | 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Nice and congrats.
Old Jan 1, 2016 | 02:59 AM

Congrats. White reminds me of EX Rs.. have fun!
Old Jan 1, 2016 | 04:19 AM

nice, congrats
Old Jan 1, 2016 | 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Do you have a full size image? Would love to see it. Hardest decision was color. I sat there just staring at the two side by side. haha Win win in my book.
Same when I first thought about getting an evo I thought I wanted white. But then I when I went there I fell in love with the blue and the red was a close second. My friend just got a red FE tho and it is beautiful
Old Jan 1, 2016 | 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Sorry to threadjack this guys stuff but here ya go. I tried to send it in a message but couldn't. On the showroom floor.
Attached Thumbnails New Evo X Owner!-photo324.jpg   New Evo X Owner!-photo832.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Evo X Owner!