Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tarmac, gravel, snow light flashing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarmac, gravel, snow light flashing

Hello all,

Awhile back my tarmac light would flash on a very inconsistent basis. Throughout the last few months it has become very frequent. I've taken it to the dealership many times and they have said they've cleared a code that indicates a slip in the drive train. They have cleared this code 3 times now and has not fixed the problem. They have insisted nothing is wrong with the ACD pump.

My question is had anyone heard of a code indicating a slip in the drivetrain.? Can I even trust the dealer that they are reading this code correctly? Avoiding a costly ACD pump replacement? Anyone else have the flashy light problem and what fixed it? Thanks!!!!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:18 AM

Bump
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like the timing chain perhaps? How does a dealership say there is a slip in the drivetrain and send you on your way without any more information or how to fix it?

Past that I would request they diagnose your transfer case as well and look for leaks.

Do you have an MR or GSR?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's an ACD pump that's starting to go.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:59 PM

It's a gsr. I think they meant there was a tire spinning when the others weren't. That threw the code, then flashing light. They can't figure out how to fix it!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 06:22 PM

Bump
Old Jan 5, 2016, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mwells
Bump
How clever of you to randomly bump threads to increase your post count so you can sell **** on the site you have no vested interest in.

No really.

Moron.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^ lol. Slamming down the hammer of justice.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me before. Go to your trunk, look on the right side of your trunk for a little door. Pop that open and youll see the ACD fluid, check to see if its at the correct level. Mine was not anywhere near sufficient so my little tarmac sign was flashing occasionally. Went to the dealer and they bled the acd pump/fluid and refilled the fluid - problem was fixed.
The dealer told me if I didn't fix this problem, it would have screwed my AWD system. cost me $110 in total I think.

Another reason I read online is that when you drive the car overly hard, it will flash as well to let you know that youre driving it a bit hard. But that has never happened to me after I bled the fluid and I drive my car hard sometimes... GL hope you get it fixed soon
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
before you go adding fluid all willie nilly that level changes as you drive and even after you first park and turn off the car it will change. So be careful when you decide to add fluid.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by PriusRepellent
This happened to me before. Go to your trunk, look on the right side of your trunk for a little door. Pop that open and youll see the ACD fluid, check to see if its at the correct level. Mine was not anywhere near sufficient so my little tarmac sign was flashing occasionally. Went to the dealer and they bled the acd pump/fluid and refilled the fluid - problem was fixed.
The dealer told me if I didn't fix this problem, it would have screwed my AWD system. cost me $110 in total I think.

Another reason I read online is that when you drive the car overly hard, it will flash as well to let you know that youre driving it a bit hard. But that has never happened to me after I bled the fluid and I drive my car hard sometimes... GL hope you get it fixed soon
This.

Had the same problem after my clutch install on a 2014 GSR. Just needed to put a tiny bit more fluid in my ACD reservoir. Problem solved. If your fluids are at the line or above, then you have a pump about to die on you. Demand it to be replaced if that is case. It is a fairly common issue.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 02:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mejerk
This.

Had the same problem after my clutch install on a 2014 GSR. Just needed to put a tiny bit more fluid in my ACD reservoir. Problem solved. If your fluids are at the line or above, then you have a pump about to die on you. Demand it to be replaced if that is case. It is a fairly common issue.
This also happened to me on a clutch install too. I had the right amount of fluid but somehow air got into the lines and it caused the light to flash. Just bled the lines to get the air out and it was fine
Old Feb 17, 2016, 09:29 PM

So how many of you are actually having to replace the pump. My light has just started blinking at me. Fluid looks fine. I don't drive it hard or track it. I have a Cobb tune and ETS intake and v2 exhaust. I see all kinds of threads saying the pump is terrible and it's about to die if it's blinking. I have a 2013 GSR with 22k miles. Is it really that ****ty and won't be under warranty?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Franciswildcat
So how many of you are actually having to replace the pump. My light has just started blinking at me. Fluid looks fine. I don't drive it hard or track it. I have a Cobb tune and ETS intake and v2 exhaust. I see all kinds of threads saying the pump is terrible and it's about to die if it's blinking. I have a 2013 GSR with 22k miles. Is it really that ****ty and won't be under warranty?
Sometimes they die faster if you drive them in the winter without weatherproofing them. They aren't ****ty per-say, I believe they die more in the north with snow and inclement weather impact than just driving them in a dry state. There are pump relocation kits as well as weatherproofing measures you can take.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 06:11 AM

But it's safe to assume that if the light is blinking, my fluids are fine then the pump is going and will not be replaced by Mitsubishi. My Cobb ap and slight mods would not be throwing a false code.

Quick Reply: Tarmac, gravel, snow light flashing