Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

K&N typhoon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N typhoon

Hey guys I'm new here (obviously) I've done a search for cold air intake systems and the results are all over the place. I'm looking at the K&N system for my 2015 GSR. The reason I'm posting is this: K&N only has it fitting through model year 2014. When I contacted them they said they have not tried to fit it on a 2015 so they don't know if it will fit. Have any of you fine people put one on a 2015? If so were there any mods that needed to be done to fit? Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2016, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it will fit a 2015 as its no different than the other years. I bought one for my FE, and it fit alright, but I just wasn't crazy about the quality, as I'm a bit ****, so I returned it two days later and just bought a k&n panel filter
Old Jan 21, 2016, 06:40 PM

Great. Thanks for the info
Old Jan 22, 2016, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think you guys should be running intakes on your cars without tunes.

I also think that if you were putting intakes on there as a first mod, you have done little to no research on your car and are going to get into bad territory really quickly. I know it's exciting to get a new car, but every car and platform is different.

This is a turbo car, changing the rate or amount of air into the engine should be tuned for. Drop in panel filter - ok - but I would recommend a Cosworth over the K&N because you don't have to oil the Cosworth. If you accidentally over-oil the filter and it fouls up your MAF then that's no bueno.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 07:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would get a stm or eta intake. eta claims no tune, but there is no point on running a mod with no tune.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 03:50 PM

Napalm, I respect your opinion. However if you read my post I never said that the intake was the first or only mod that I was doing. Nor did I ever say that I would be running an intake without a tune. I did say I was looking at the K&N not that I was set on it. It was merely a question of fitment since K&N couldn't tell me if it would fit.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

I stand corrected, and apologies in that case. We get a lot of people that come in here from different cars and throw an intake on first thing lol. You accidentally came across as such a newbie so I was suggesting based on that. No worries, glad you know what you're doing and enjoy the car

I really liked the Cosworth drop-in and ran it on my car stock. Made a big difference even without a tune. Cheap no hassle change and good gains as well.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

The k&n intake uses the factory maf housing, so you aren't getting any more air the computer can't account for. I'd do some research before talking, napalm.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dandbest
The k&n intake uses the factory maf housing, so you aren't getting any more air the computer can't account for. I'd do some research before talking, napalm.
I wouldn't run ANY intake without a tune, I don't care what the company says so I stand by my statement. I don't believe in running turbo cars with aftermarket intakes without supporting tunes. Drop in filter? Ok. Outside of that I don't think it is a good idea, and most don't. I've done plenty of research to come to that conclusion thanks, and will repeat it over and over going forward as well.

Have a super day
Old Jan 22, 2016, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

You repeating it without proof doesn't make it so.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dandbest
You repeating it without proof doesn't make it so.
And being defensive of a product you bought when mountains of experience and evidence suggest otherwise is naive.

Done with this, your'e a little aggressive **** who I'm not going to continue making time for.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
And being defensive of a product you bought when mountains of experience and evidence suggest otherwise is naive.

Done with this, your'e a little aggressive **** who I'm not going to continue making time for.
Seems living in Texas gives you a chip on your shoulder. Too bad, really.
Back on topic, the reason intakes need to be tuned, is because most have a larger diameter tube, which fools the mass airflow sensor and you get extra air that wasn't accounted for, you run lean and bad things happen. When an intake such as k&n uses the entire mass airflow housing, all calibrations remain in tact. You do get more intake noise due to the lack of airbox to muffle it, which makes you think you're going faster, but that's about it. I'm not defending anything, because if you read my post, I did say that the quality wasn't very good in my opinion and I returned it.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely look else where. ETS, AMS, STM etc make awesome products. I personally have used all ETS on my 9 and now my X. They make great products and are very helpful and easy to deal with. I had a buddy with the K&N intake and he switched it almost immediately.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Please do not spread mis-information.

The K&N intake is a great intake and perfectly safe to run without being tuned.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't run ANY intake without a tune, I don't care what the company says so I stand by my statement. I don't believe in running turbo cars with aftermarket intakes without supporting tunes. Drop in filter? Ok. Outside of that I don't think it is a good idea, and most don't. I've done plenty of research to come to that conclusion thanks, and will repeat it over and over going forward as well.

Have a super day
So you've read a bunch of Internet posts and have what actual experience? You obviously have no experience with how a mass air intake system works or how air flow is measured by the ecu to calculate fuel mixture. These principals apply whether the car is turbocharged or NA.