Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

NGK Plug Broken Ceramic?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
NGK Plug Broken Ceramic?

After a fun weekend of digging out of the snowpocalypse here on the east coast, I decided to take the Evo out of the garage and bring her home now that the driveway was clear. Half way home the car starts sputtering and backfiring, has a dramatic loss in power and it could barely maintain 30 miles per hour. At this point the fear of a blown engine sets in, and I start to feel weak.

I get home and decide to start with the basics, pull the plugs and check them out. The CEL was for a Cylinder 2 misfire so naturally I pull the plug for that cylinder and realize the plug is perfectly fine. So I pull plugs 1 and 3 to compare and they're all the same. At this moment I scramble to find the lube because I know how f**ked I am. But to my surprise, I go to put the plugs back in and the cylinder 2 electrode disappears, the ceramic completely broke free and was free to move up and down the electrode. I've never felt so happy before in my life.

Interestingly, these plugs are only about 5K miles old (ILKR8E6). Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Last edited by jakgal04; Jan 25, 2016 at 07:46 AM. Reason: removed a word
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
this was fairly common with the early cars, but then, people stopped complaining about it, so I assumed NGK had figured it out.... seems not. Glad it didn't brake off inside the cylinder, you'd have a much bigger issue.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I could have just got a bad batch when I ordered them, hopefully the ones I ordered are good to go. And yes, lets just say I spent this years luck on this one lol
Old Jan 26, 2016, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could the ones you put in have been counterfeit? (Serious question)
Old Jan 26, 2016, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smevox
Could the ones you put in have been counterfeit? (Serious question)
Funny you mention that, I actually checked to be sure. These are in fact legit ILKR8E6's from NGK. I verified by checking with that "spot fake ngk's" article that they have.