Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

NEW Evo X FE or Used Evo X GSR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEW Evo X FE or Used Evo X GSR

GSR Color Choice: Wicked White
FE Color Choice: Diamond White
^^ first off, any huge difference to the paint? Does the diamond white have a bit of a tan/yellowish look to it? I saw a picture of an FE with a WW aero kit and the WW looked much clearer and more vibrant.

Now, should I buy a brand new FE or purchase a used GSR and use the remaining money to modify it?

I'd be getting a GSR with no more than 30k miles. Nothing crazy with modifications.
At most: exhaust, wheels, coils/springs, removable bolt ons, etc.

If I get the FE, it'll obviously come stock.. but ill have that new- fresh owner satisfaction. Price will obviously be way more.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used Gsr. WW Sss package low miles and don't forget factory recaros.. Easy choice. 2014 perhaps
Old Mar 2, 2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Motivatedtuna
Used Gsr. WW Sss package low miles and don't forget factory recaros.. Easy choice. 2014 perhaps
do you think the hope of Final Editions inflaming in price in the future is enough to get the FE?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 02:38 PM

I had the same decision decided to get the diamond white FE. Yea it has no recaros but it has the sodium fill valves plus the FE badge which hopefully keep the value up down the road.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends. Used Evos are like marrying a stripper. I wouldn't do it. Also, how much savings are we talking about? Are you financing the car? For example, you'd have to spend around $30k for a low mile 2014. If you were financing it, you'd probably pay around 5% interest. The FE will run you about 37k, but you can get under 2% interest rate. Without doing the math to the last penny, that will save you around $3k in interest, so now the the difference is $4k between a new car with items such as two piece rotors, bilsteins with eibach springs, sodium filled valves, nicer paint in the sense that its thicker (I have a paint meter, and have checked) and exclusivity which may or may not bring in more money when the time comes to sell it. Oh, and guaranteed no stories, you might even be the first to fart in it. That should have some value. The seats can always be upgraded, with Recaros or otherwise, so I don't consider that a make it or brake it, but to some it seems to be the holy grail, presumably because they have nothing else to complain about. So, my advice, do some math and figure out whats important to you
Old Mar 2, 2016, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I faced the same question and scale tipped toward buying an FE with what I factored in so I did.

These cars hold their value and with demand steady but supply no more after this year, basic economics say value will increase. Serial # badges and special features will add a little more to any item that is rare in a market.

For me, the Evo happens to be my favorite car too so instant sentimental value for me beside the monetary kind.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Endi
do you think the hope of Final Editions inflaming in price in the future is enough to get the FE?
Inflaming in price? I don't know where this crap gets started, but 99.5% cars do not "inflame" in price. They will be dropping in value just like all other Evo's.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nvmaddog
Inflaming in price? I don't know where this crap gets started, but 99.5% cars do not "inflame" in price. They will be dropping in value just like all other Evo's.
Unless he was planning on buying it, and putting it in a garage forever, I don't he actually meant go up in value.

Maybe it's just me, but I read between the lines, and assumed that he meant that although they will go down in price as all cars do, maybe the FE will hold its value a bit better because of what it is.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

In response to the OP's post...

That decision really comes down to what you want, and the price of both in my opinion. If you were planning on doing all/most of the mods on the used car, the price is right, and you aren't worried about it having been abused, then go for it!

Personally, I prefer to buy new things... especially when it's something like a car that's widely known to get abused by almost everyone who buys one. You get a full factory warranty buying new (I know some people will counter with "good luck getting Mitsubishi to do warranty work", but you still get one), the knowledge that you will know everything that has happened to the car from day 1, etc.

I started to wonder if I made a mistake after I bought my FE because I was upset that I didn't get the Recaros, but you can always get a pair down the road (like I did). Although it might take a bit longer because you spent more up front, you can also do whatever mods you want down the road. You can't buy a "used" car, and make it "new" again though.

The FE has enough extras (in my opinion) to outweigh the seat downgrade. You're looking at Diamond White, which only comes with the FE, so that will be unique. You'll get the black headliner/pillars/etc, red stitching, heated mirrors, Bilstein shocks, numbered badge, slight boost to hp/torque, etc. Those things, plus the knowledge that it's new (and a special edition in general), is arguably worth more than the loss of Recaro seats.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 09:40 AM

Thank you lol. That's exactly what I meant. @ First comment

and this is exactly what I was thinking. I wanted that satification of having something new, but I've been dreaming of owning an evo since high school so I would've been fine with any option open to me tbh.
\

Originally Posted by bdean531
In response to the OP's post...

That decision really comes down to what you want, and the price of both in my opinion. If you were planning on doing all/most of the mods on the used car, the price is right, and you aren't worried about it having been abused, then go for it!

Personally, I prefer to buy new things... especially when it's something like a car that's widely known to get abused by almost everyone who buys one. You get a full factory warranty buying new (I know some people will counter with "good luck getting Mitsubishi to do warranty work", but you still get one), the knowledge that you will know everything that has happened to the car from day 1, etc.

I started to wonder if I made a mistake after I bought my FE because I was upset that I didn't get the Recaros, but you can always get a pair down the road (like I did). Although it might take a bit longer because you spent more up front, you can also do whatever mods you want down the road. You can't buy a "used" car, and make it "new" again though.

The FE has enough extras (in my opinion) to outweigh the seat downgrade. You're looking at Diamond White, which only comes with the FE, so that will be unique. You'll get the black headliner/pillars/etc, red stitching, heated mirrors, Bilstein shocks, numbered badge, slight boost to hp/torque, etc. Those things, plus the knowledge that it's new (and a special edition in general), is arguably worth more than the loss of Recaro seats.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Endi
Thank you lol. That's exactly what I meant. @ First comment

and this is exactly what I was thinking. I wanted that satification of having something new, but I've been dreaming of owning an evo since high school so I would've been fine with any option open to me tbh.
\
No problem, and I hear you there! I've wanted an Evo for as long as I can remember, but could never afford one. I finally managed to save up enough money for a good down payment, and really liked the idea of getting the "Final Edition" of the car I always wanted.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:55 AM

Get the FE, and a set of lightly used Recaros.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:30 AM

I had paid off my 2010 lancer in December and bought an Rally Red FE in Feb. I was looking at used GSR's and the price difference was big but honestly, the NEW car feel, smell, and knowledge that you are the only person to have actually driven it is worth the price difference. I regret nothing in getting new and yes, the FE's will hold a better value compared to a normal GSR, recaro seats or not. Also banking on the FE holding its value alot more then a gsr due to it being SE and also the last manufactured version of the Lancer Evo.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The diamond white looks much nicer than the WW in person. There is a slight sparkle added to the paint. Enough to add a touch of awe, but without making it look stupid.

Personally, I think the "FE" is how all Evo 10 (2008-2015) should have came in the first place. They would have seen better sales.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Liquid0401
The diamond white looks much nicer than the WW in person. There is a slight sparkle added to the paint. Enough to add a touch of awe, but without making it look stupid.

Personally, I think the "FE" is how all Evo 10 (2008-2015) should have came in the first place. They would have seen better sales.
okay perfect. I was just worried because it really looked creamy with the picture I saw. Ill most likely be going with the FE at this point (if it isn't sold in my location within the next 2 months).

and aswell, I think FE's should have been the normal GSR's.

(in my opinion) The FE should at least come with around 350 HP, some upgraded carbon pieces, better seats (not a huge issue to me), FE Exclusive shift knob(not just stitching), etc.

Quick Reply: NEW Evo X FE or Used Evo X GSR