Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Am I making a mistake buying a new Evo X / FE?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I making a mistake buying a new Evo X / FE?

I'm thinking of making my first Evo purchase and months ago I was set on a GSR but news of the US FE and I decided to hold out and see what comes out in the area.

My question is this, am I making a mistake buying one of these cars because I drive A LOT... when I say A LOT - I mean like 20-22K miles a year just to get to and from work. All of these miles for work are highway.

I get reimbursed about $9-9500 a year in mileage and I have always considered some of that reimbursement to go towards paying the car down sooner to keep up with the depreciation factor. Obviously it helps pay for gas and whatever maintenance I need but I've always had a few thousand left over set aside for whatever. Because I get reimbursed Gas cost doesn't really play a factor here.

I love everything about the car but I'm trying to get some honest feedback people who own the car. I tried searching the forums for similar topics but couldn't find anything quite like my situation.

Basically I'm looking for reasons not to talk myself out of buying one just because I drive so much. I was hoping people here might be able to set me straight one way or another.

-Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can afford the car and you like driving it, then buy it. Depreciation from purchase and use is going to hit ANYTHING you buy. So, buy something you can enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
Huskielax08 (Mar 9, 2016)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:39 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Buy FE, also buy commuter beater used car like a Honda Fit that gets high mpg.
Drive FE 1-2x a week or on really nice days.
#Profit
Huskielax08 (Mar 9, 2016)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
Buy FE, also buy commuter beater used car like a Honda Fit that gets high mpg.
Drive FE 1-2x a week or on really nice days.
#Profit
Yeah I wish man! I can't afford a second car right now, my insurance took a big hit three years ago and the points aren't going to roll off until 2017/18. I also don't want to hold off too much longer on my trade to where it's completely worthless to any dealer.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by evobroker
If you can afford the car and you like driving it, then buy it. Depreciation from purchase and use is going to hit ANYTHING you buy. So, buy something you can enjoy!
Amen to that, I keep telling myself that! Last weekend I went and checked out a white FE but they were my first stop. I'm trying to squeeze another $1,000 on my trade if possible somewhere else.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Driving an Evo on Massachusetts roads 20,000 miles per year will get expensive and old pretty quickly. Not something I'd do.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dandbest
Driving an Evo on Massachusetts roads 20,000 miles per year will get expensive and old pretty quickly. Not something I'd do.
What do you mean by expencive and old?

If your referring to **** roads, well I can agree that roads can get pretty messed up after a bad winter. This year we barely had any snow and the roads are fine. Not to mention, I've never ever had any car issues from driving in MA and I've been doing it for 15 years.

Also can you expand on old? that's more the input I'm looking for - I don't own one and never have but my gut says driving it as regular as all my other cars in the past I won't be sick of it. I live in the country side of MA out of the cities so I think it would be more enjoyable if anything.

Thanks for the reply I value the input!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got my 2012 and love it. I drive around 25000-30000 a year for work and I figured might as well get something I would have fun driving. I would say go for it like other posters above said....any car you get is going to depreciate once it goes off that lot.
Huskielax08 (Mar 10, 2016)
Old Mar 10, 2016, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I daily'd my evo for awhile I mean as long as you don't mind destroying gas and tires lol then go for it I didn't mind. I bought a crv to daily now.
Huskielax08 (Mar 15, 2016)
Old Mar 10, 2016, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Driving highway you can expect about 20mpg if you drive like a normal person. Maybe 18-19 with spirited pulls and passing people. The stock advans only last about 10-15k miles after which you will need to purchase some new tires. I recommend the Continental DWS06 All-season tires.

But other than bad gas mileage, you'll want to pick up some recaro seats from a pre-2015 evo since they're WAYYY more comfortable to sit in daily for long drives compared to the lancer seats that will come in the car. I daily my 2015 and love every minute of it, but be prepared for every ricer you see to try and race you cause they think their fart can exhaust = fast.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskielax08
What do you mean by expencive and old?

If your referring to **** roads, well I can agree that roads can get pretty messed up after a bad winter. This year we barely had any snow and the roads are fine. Not to mention, I've never ever had any car issues from driving in MA and I've been doing it for 15 years.

Also can you expand on old? that's more the input I'm looking for - I don't own one and never have but my gut says driving it as regular as all my other cars in the past I won't be sick of it. I live in the country side of MA out of the cities so I think it would be more enjoyable if anything.

Thanks for the reply I value the input!
What I mean is, the road are crap, which will lead to many bent wheels, accelerated suspension wear, tires typically last 10k, same for brakes, you'll average less than 20mpg on premium, and the car isn't the most comfortable to begin with, as it was never its purpose. Maybe I'm old, but I never got any joy commuting in any of my Evos. The whole stop, go, avoid the pothole, avoid the a-hole not paying attention about to sideswipe you, oh crap, is this another stone chip got old quickly. So, I have a daily driver I don't care too much about, and enjoy my Evo on days off and at Lime Rock or Thompson Speedway, which is near you. You'll destroy the car in short order, and likely won't enjoy it for what it is, hence my suggestion.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
To repeat some of what was said above. Get something that is you. Something that you will truly enjoy driving. I came from a STi and when I sold it I looked at cars that I thought would be nice daily drivers that would offer superb ride quality for my commute. I said I'm 30 now, I should look into other categories. I almost pulled the trigger on an is250, but I was like this is just not me. I've always wanted an Evo when I had the STi *like most subaru owners and I'm so happy I pulled the trigger on my Evo X. I drive approximately 35 miles every day and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

My advice if you get the Evo, save up and pull the trigger on a good set of coilovers. When it comes to suspension you don't want to take the cheap route. I have JRZ RS ONE's and the ride is amazing, not to mention the handling is unreal. It is 100% wife approved. Sorry for the long response, I just love my car. Good luck with your decision.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo>PS4?
But other than bad gas mileage, you'll want to pick up some recaro seats from a pre-2015 evo since they're WAYYY more comfortable to sit in daily for long drives compared to the lancer seats that will come in the car.
I definitely agree that you should buy an Evo if you've always wanted one (I did, and have 0 regrets), however I don't necessarily agree with this...

Almost everyone loves the Recaros (myself included), but not usually because of the comfort for driving long distances. They made the car different, they hug you, they let you drive the car how it wants to be driven without having to worry about sliding into your passenger seat.

As far as pure comfort, a lot of people would argue that the 2015 seats are more comfortable, especially for longer trips. Some people love the Recaros for any length trip, but a lot of people don't.

It really depends on the person in my opinion.. the OP might hate the Recaros if he swapped them out. I would definitely suggest trying out the Recaro seats if you can before you go through the effort of finding a pair.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
My advice spending that kind of money and that much driving..... GAP insurance!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bdean531
I definitely agree that you should buy an Evo if you've always wanted one (I did, and have 0 regrets), however I don't necessarily agree with this...

Almost everyone loves the Recaros (myself included), but not usually because of the comfort for driving long distances. They made the car different, they hug you, they let you drive the car how it wants to be driven without having to worry about sliding into your passenger seat.

As far as pure comfort, a lot of people would argue that the 2015 seats are more comfortable, especially for longer trips. Some people love the Recaros for any length trip, but a lot of people don't.

It really depends on the person in my opinion.. the OP might hate the Recaros if he swapped them out. I would definitely suggest trying out the Recaro seats if you can before you go through the effort of finding a pair.
^^^^Agreed.. Its personal preference really in regards to the seats. The Recaros do make the car feel different and love mine. But having to imagine commuting as much as you do I dont think I could do that in my Recaros. I do commute about an hour or so in traffic everyday in my evo and the recaros, it is bearable and i dont mind. Again its personal preference. The FE/2015+ seats do look more comfortable and would seem to be good for the longer commute you have.

Quick Reply: Am I making a mistake buying a new Evo X / FE?