Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: Are you Interested?
Hell Yea!
72.73%
Why Would I Want This?
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Evo X Hitch - Project

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo X Hitch - Project

Day1:
Hitches for the Evo X. Using for bike rack and small trailers to hold tires and race gas. If anyone is interested in the project let me know. I will update with photos of 3D modeling I am doing. Been looking for this for a long while and no one has them. I have a custom steel fabricators to work with. I will be confirming all the measurements tomorrow. Hitch will be down facing and fully hidden when not in use. Custom mounting to rear hold down hook areas and no cutting of the rear diffuser will be needed. Also trying to make it work with OEM mufflers.
Thanks guys. This will be a Class I hitch - 200lbs tongue weight and 2,000lbs tow.

Day2:
It continues, first mock-up and dimensions taken. A lot has changed in order to keep the passenger side hold down that supports the ayc pump. Had to accurately measure and model the main frame and existing hole locations. I'll have to make this in to a mock-up and test fitment.

Day3: Stress Testing see attached link - https://lendlease.sharefile.com/shar...fd1a?_k=wpi7g3

Day4: Okay guys, just finished my specific order for everything but the curt vertical adapter which runs about $50-$60 bucks. The total amount of material with some extra for error is $164.12 using A-36 Raw Steel. I called the company and if I order enough material at one time can get a "better" deal. Everything is 3/16" steel except the cross bar which I beefed up to 1/4" for a safety factor. Some of the steel I bought earlier in the week was not the correct size unsure emoticon.

Stay Tuned!!!
Attached Thumbnails Evo X Hitch - Project-beginning-evo-x-hitch.jpg   Evo X Hitch - Project-beginning-evo-x-hitch2.jpg   Evo X Hitch - Project-beginning-evo-x-hitch3.jpg   Evo X Hitch - Project-beginning-evo-x-hitch4.jpg   Evo X Hitch - Project-beginning-evo-x-hitch5.jpg  

Evo X Hitch - Project-beginning-evo-x-hitch6.jpg   Evo X Hitch - Project-beginning-evo-x-hitch8.jpg   Evo X Hitch - Project-mock-up2-1.png   Evo X Hitch - Project-mock-up2.png   Evo X Hitch - Project-beginning-evo-x-hitch11.jpg  

Last edited by Kris Pomilla; Jun 30, 2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Photos
Old Mar 17, 2016, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Our clutch for the GSR and the clutch packs on the MR are already kind of decent size wear item not sure I would want to increase the load on those by towing anything.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:10 AM

Even Aftermarket Clutches? I mean this goes for all clutches, if you don't beat on it when towing a set of tires you wont have a problem. Think about it like this... 4 adults in the car avg 200lbs each, that 1klbs right there. now take the 3 other people and move them to a trailer that is rolling and the hitch weight which doesn't equal much if its all loaded equally in the trailer. I mean yea it will work out to a bit more weight but if you don't floor it and smash gears I don't see a problem.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

I guess it all depends on the size of the trailer and weight of the trailer your going to pull, plus the cargo
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:09 AM

The idea is good, but its really not about the weight or whatever that you are pulling.

To be honest I feel like just based off of personality, most people who drive evos wont EVER have the need to tow something. And if they do, it would probably be easier to rent a truck or have a friend who has a truck help you out.
Its just that the chances of using it a lot...aren't much really, so people would probably opt out.

Not trying to put you down or anything! don't get me wrong.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a good project. I'm no expert, but if all your towing is a small trailer a few parts etc for the day at the track I guess it be alright. I guess this would be for the folks who don't have a truck or friends or other options to get the xtra gear to the track.
Evo's aren't exactly designed to haul stuff, but /shrug there's only one way to find out.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the whole thing a bolt in?? I'd like to unbolt it once i get to the track via my battery impact wrench.

I wanna haul like 800ish lbs of fuel + tires + tools.

Who's making your trailer?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 01:22 PM

Russ, that is a exact reason I am going ahead with this project. For light trailers to haul tools and extra tires for race day. The hitch will be 100% direct bolt on. It's gonna be hard to get everything up and down with a dual exhaust, this will work a lot better with a single exhaust. I ordered all the material and will start fabricating and creating the final design this weekend. Getting some one with a truck also means you need to get a trailer to tow the car and extras. My next step is to design a trailer made for a pair of wheels, gas and tools. It has to be lightweight and small.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Yea if it was bolt it and pretty easy it would be good for a track day then! Well good luck with the project!
The following users liked this post:
Kris Pomilla (Mar 17, 2016)
Old Mar 18, 2016, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just a heads up, CBRD built this recently:
http://www.cbrdspeedfactory.com/cbrd...itch-receiver/
The following users liked this post:
Lightsaber (May 23, 2016)
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:32 AM

interested in seeing the final outcome of this, ive been wanting this since i got the evo. what are you thinking of final sale price? where in NY are you, i have a dual exit perrin exhaust if you wanted to test fit with an aftermarket exhaust to see how clearance is? Im in north jersey
Old Mar 19, 2016, 09:42 AM

Momostallion, yes CBRD has made one, but you have to remove that crash bar in order to use. I rather keep my crash bar on at all costs. The hitch I am designing will bolt up with a maximum of removing the axle back part of the exhaust. ACAS if you could give me a clearance from the rear metal part that is under your car and the back of the exhaust that would help. I am running a aftermarket Tanabe dual exhaust and the dim almost mimic stock.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:51 AM

Im running the perrin exhaust, actually similar to your exhaust, ill see if i can get under there and take a measurement,
Old Mar 22, 2016, 03:28 PM

Got The Suplies

Got the Steel today! I think I am going to start working on this full force on Sunday. I'll be working 12hrs shifts the rest of this week and heading into the city on Saturday. I'll keep the progress photos coming as the project moves along.
Attached Thumbnails Evo X Hitch - Project-steel1.png   Evo X Hitch - Project-steel2.png   Evo X Hitch - Project-steel3.png   Evo X Hitch - Project-steel4.png   Evo X Hitch - Project-steel5.png  

Old May 22, 2016, 10:22 AM

any update on the progress of this hitch

Quick Reply: Evo X Hitch - Project