Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Wheel Wobble on Tight Turns

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wheel Wobble on Tight Turns

I just took my '14 Evo X for a spin and noticed something new. When I went to take a tight turn at a red light the front right wheel started to wobble. I can't think of how to describe it other than that. And it was making this clicking sound, or maybe it was more of a thudding sound. The car does fine on straights and doesn't seem to be bothered at high speeds. So far I've only noticed it at low speed tight turns. At first I thought I had a flat tire, because it kind of felt like that. But the tire is fine, they could use rotated, but I'm fairly certain that wouldn't cause this issue. The car has 16,000 miles on it.
I'm not sure what it might be. Of course my thoughts immediately shoot to worst case scenario. I was hoping somebody else may have experienced this and be able to shed some light. Thanks.
Old May 30, 2016, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Did you check the tightness of your lug nuts?
Old May 30, 2016, 01:48 PM

Yes, lugs are tight
Old May 30, 2016, 02:14 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Did you hit any potholes or hard hits lately?
Old May 30, 2016, 02:23 PM

yeah, roads are bad where I live. Well, nothing super crazy. But yeah, it's not uncommon.
Old May 30, 2016, 02:29 PM

I was actually thinking that might be it myself. But I really don't know much about suspension and steering parts and service.
Let's say that might be it, does anyone know of a bearing that is better than OEM, maybe one with a life time warranty? The closest dealership is pretty damn far away from where I live, 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive and I'm not certain they wouldn't look at my mods and tell me to F**k myself. I just have bolt ons, but from what I've read, they'll void warranties for simple things like that.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds more like CV joint or tie rod to me. if ur wheel bearing is faulty, u would have experienced noises on straight line or certain speed already.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack the car up and grab/push/pull from 12 and 6 & 3 and 9. 12/6 would be wheel bearings, 3/9 would be tierods/or wheel bearings. Also make sure the lug nuts are tight. IF that checks out try checking your control arm bushings/balljoints.

If your still under warranty (16k miles) I would take it in. For basic mods, this shouldn't be an issue since suspension has nothing to do with exhaust/intake. I could be wrong though..
Old May 31, 2016, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Take it to the dealership. They can't void your warranty for something unrelated to modifications failing. If you put an intake on they can't be like 'Your CV joint failed due to more airflow'
Old Jun 6, 2016, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
If you put an intake on they can't be like 'Your CV joint failed due to more airflow'
Not gonna lie, but I could actually see a dealership trying to do this. I would probably just laugh and walk away.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you take it the dealership, and they are jerks about the warranty (hopefully not), you might at least get an accurate diagnosis out of them. Then you can take it somewhere else.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:07 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Axle nut?
Wheels not hubcentric so maybe not tightening correctly?
Loose strut top hat?
Damage to tire?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like it could be a tie rod, or cv.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:34 PM

Alright. I changed out all my drivetrain fluids. Tranny, T Case, both of the Rear Diff fluids. I've got around 18K miles on my Evo, all the fluids were pretty nasty and there was a lot more debris stuck to the magnetic plugs than I would have expected. There was also a decent amount of fine metal flake out of the transfer case. I mean, it wasn't enough to indicate something major, but I think something is going on there.
The problem I have, after a lot of research, reading and investigation is the front diff is locking up, or possibly even the rear diff as well. But it's not consistent. If I drive the car really hard, after I shut it off and it sits for a few hours. When I start the car again, the front diff will be locked.
Usually, I can hear this sound, I expect must be coming from the transfer case. After I start moving the car something engages or disengages and after that the car will drive fine. But if I don't hear that, that is when I have problems and the diff is locked. But once I park the car, and let it sit for a few hours. I start the car, I hear that noise and we're all good.
I haven't had any codes or warning lights. If I change the ACD mode, it works like it should, as far as I can tell. I've never launched the car. I'm not getting any whine from the transfer case. It's just really frustrating not knowing what the hell is going on. For the record, I used all the right fluids, the reason I changed all the fluids was because of this issue.

Last edited by cerealkeller; Aug 7, 2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:57 PM

bump, anybody had this issue? I can't find anything like this anywhere on the forums. I've found bits about people diffs being locked, but not locking and unlocking at random.

Quick Reply: Wheel Wobble on Tight Turns