Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mod to squeeze a bit more power for DD Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod to squeeze a bit more power for DD Evo X

I have an EVO X FE with about 2300 miles now.

I have the following mods currently installed.

COBB High Flow Filter
COBB Accessport 3V running the Stage 1 91ACN LWG OTS Map (i'm in Cali)

I am planning to install the following. All parts + Labor for about $3,500

COBB Catback + COBB Mid-Pipe and SS 3inch Downpipe
AEM UEGO wideband and digital Oil Pressure gauge
AP Custom map

The goal at the end of the day is a car that sounds good, reliable for daily driving 10 miles each way and targeting 300whp.

Any advice on my plans above? Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
The basic bolt-ons, a tune, and gauges are a great start. The Cobb pieces are all quality (if a bit overpriced), and will give you what you're looking for.
The following users liked this post:
aphex412w (Jun 6, 2016)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by rognasty
I have an EVO X FE with about 2300 miles now.

I have the following mods currently installed.

COBB High Flow Filter
COBB Accessport 3V running the Stage 1 91ACN LWG OTS Map (i'm in Cali)

I am planning to install the following. All parts + Labor for about $3,500

COBB Catback + COBB Mid-Pipe and SS 3inch Downpipe
AEM UEGO wideband and digital Oil Pressure gauge
AP Custom map

The goal at the end of the day is a car that sounds good, reliable for daily driving 10 miles each way and targeting 300whp.

Any advice on my plans above? Thanks.
Better idea -

Ask 5150 what they recommend, have them do it and tune it. I think you are missing parts with your current list. Also things like a downpipe aren't necessary unless you have a bigger turbo really. That's more of a Subaru modification 'must have', but not so much on the EVO initially.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Better idea -

Ask 5150 what they recommend, have them do it and tune it. I think you are missing parts with your current list. Also things like a downpipe aren't necessary unless you have a bigger turbo really. That's more of a Subaru modification 'must have', but not so much on the EVO initially.

5150 is just out of my range. I'm in norcal and they are in south. There are so many good options down in the LA area for evo tuning.... really makes me envious. Only reason i'm going with a new Downpipe is due to the fact it comes with the O2 bungs for the Wideband. That, and once i installed it, I can run the OTS stage 2 maps and drive it out to my "local" tuner which is 100 miles away.

I found a place fairly close to me call Equilibrium Tuning. They are one of the few shops here that does pro-tuning through an AP for the EVO. From reviews and feed backs, they appear decent. Charges $500 per session so i figure it's gotta be quality work. They don't specializes in Evos as most of their work are on STIs and GTRs.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 05:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
5150 is just out of my range. I'm in norcal and they are in south. There are so many good options down in the LA area for evo tuning.... really makes me envious. Only reason i'm going with a new Downpipe is due to the fact it comes with the O2 bungs for the Wideband. That, and once i installed it, I can run the OTS stage 2 maps and drive it out to my "local" tuner which is 100 miles away.

I found a place fairly close to me call Equilibrium Tuning. They are one of the few shops here that does pro-tuning through an AP for the EVO. From reviews and feed backs, they appear decent. Charges $500 per session so i figure it's gotta be quality work. They don't specializes in Evos as most of their work are on STIs and GTRs.
Just make a trip to L.A.
I am in east bay as well.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 09:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
did you have any thoughts on adding a 3-port boost controller? thats about all your missing from the stage 3 pack plus the custom tune.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 05:51 AM

They don't specializes in Evos as most of their work are on STIs and GTRs.
I'll stop you right there. Find an Evo tuner. 5150 is worth the trip. Save yourself some money and get a Tactrix.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Alternatively, if you don't have a reputable Evo shop near you, go with one of the excellent E-tuners we have available to us.
A Rickerman tune would be my choice if I didn't have a good shop around me.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by reggae4k
I'll stop you right there. Find an Evo tuner. 5150 is worth the trip. Save yourself some money and get a Tactrix.
Yeah for real. HUGE red flag there.

Drive to 5150, why risk it? I drove 5 hours for a tune once never regretted it.

Originally Posted by shekaar
Alternatively, if you don't have a reputable Evo shop near you, go with one of the excellent E-tuners we have available to us.
Another excellent suggestion / option over taking it to a shop that doesn't specialize in EVO's.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 06:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Razorlab may know of some tuners in the North bay. Do yourself (and your car) and get an Evo tuner. There are many intricacies with these engines. In the early days people were popping them left and right trying to tune them like a 4G63. Get someone who knows it inside and out.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Can't agree more with everyone above. I drive 270 miles to my tuner when I need something done because local shops looked at my engine and had no idea what was going on. They thought my Synapse DV was on backwards because they didn't know you could run it in push or pull....
Old Jun 8, 2016, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Make a fun little road trip out of it and hang around So Cal for a few days. I can't recommend 5150 enough. One of the best out there. 100 % worth it.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 07:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go to FFTEC. Best in the bay area IMO. Sean is an amazing tuner the whole crew is awesome. Im taking my car there when I get home for a flex fuel set up. Sean tuned my Evo 8 for me and I will never go anyplace else after that experience. You will not be disappointed. https://www.fftec.com/
Old Jun 10, 2016, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shekaar
I have good shops near me and still chose Chet.

No ragrets.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tuners

There are a few different tuners in your area I live the next town over from EQ tuning I will be doing the Cobb stage 3 on my MR,there is also WORKS in sonoma raceway and BOOSTED tuning in Chico,CA.FFTEC while pretty famous doesn't tune EVO's anymore.Please update this when you get everything done.My cobb stage 3 parts will come in next week and it's just about time to choose a tuner.

Quick Reply: Mod to squeeze a bit more power for DD Evo X