Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hard to put into reverse gear

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to put into reverse gear

Hi,

I've been experiencing the difficulties putting my Final Edition into the reverse gear for several times. Basically, I felt a great focus stopping me from putting the stick into the reverse gear (the car was always completely stopped when it happened; also, the clutch was always pushed to the end). Then, I put the stick back to neutral and try the reverse gear again, same result. Usually, I put the stick in 1st gear, then reverse gear, then it works fine. This situation happened several times in the morning when the first time I start my car for the day (it's winter here in Australia). I suppose it happened once or twice when I was doing three point turn. Recently, it happened once - I shut down my car and started it after ~10mins, put it into reverse gear, failed, then 1st gear and reverse gear, fine.

Was it just because the cold whether or should I get my evo checked my some professionals?

Thank you!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 03:12 AM

I've had two Evo X's and they both do have done the same thing. I put 90k miles on the first Evo i had and it did that from day one when it was brand new.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by stubs179
I've had two Evo X's and they both do have done the same thing. I put 90k miles on the first Evo i had and it did that from day one when it was brand new.
That's comforting... Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
These cars don't actually have a reverse gear. If you put the car into 3rd gear or first gear preferably 3rd gear right before you put it into reverse it will work as smooth as glass every time because it uses first and third to act as a reverse.
The following users liked this post:
migs647 (Jun 20, 2016)
Old Jun 20, 2016, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBlurSTi
These cars don't actually have a reverse gear. If you put the car into 3rd gear or first gear preferably 3rd gear right before you put it into reverse it will work as smooth as glass every time because it uses first and third to act as a reverse.
This!!! OP the X's transmission uses 1st and 3rd in conjunction with a idler gear to make a reverse gear. I also shift into 3rd before I go into reverse and I have never had a issue with it.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

They should have a sticker about this inside the car
Old Jun 20, 2016, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
They should have a sticker about this inside the car
Or at least in the manual somewhere
Old Jun 20, 2016, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm pretty sure I just go into first and then reverse out of habit now...

The older guy who taught me how to drive stick on my evo told me this "trick" and he is an old-fashion muscle car guy so it must not be uncommon problem with a lot of cars.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Yep it's like muscle memory now to go into 1st before going into reverse.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, how have I never heard of this before.. I usually just let out slightly on the clutch, and it will typically slide into Reverse (not ideal, but had no idea bout this whole 1st/3rd thing).

I'm definitely going to try shifting in/out of 1st next time this happens!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bdean531
Wow, how have I never heard of this before.. I usually just let out slightly on the clutch, and it will typically slide into Reverse (not ideal, but had no idea bout this whole 1st/3rd thing).

I'm definitely going to try shifting in/out of 1st next time this happens!
Yeah you can do it like that as well a lot of times when I'm in my semi I have to do this if the transmission is completely stopped by having the clutch in letting it out a little bit allows it to spin in for the gears to align. But the way the Lancer Evolution transmission is it's easiest to just put it in the third and then quickly put it into reverse.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah you can do it like that as well a lot of times when I'm in my semi I have to do this if the transmission is completely stopped by having the clutch in letting it out a little bit allows it to spin in for the gears to align. But the way the Lancer Evolution transmission is it's easiest to just put it in the third and then quickly put it into reverse.
Yea, I'm definitely going to try that next time I have trouble getting into reverse. I've honestly never heard of a vehicle using 1st and 3rd to mimic a Reverse gear before.. I had no idea!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bdean531
Yea, I'm definitely going to try that next time I have trouble getting into reverse. I've honestly never heard of a vehicle using 1st and 3rd to mimic a Reverse gear before.. I had no idea!
The problem is it's hard to get into reverse almost every time and to make sure it's as smooth as possible you should always put it in a third before reverse everytime. That just how it's designed.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
WTF SERIOUSLY? I have owned 3 evos dating back from 2004 and all of them it was hard to put into reverse (including my 2014) and now I find this out! LOL
Old Jun 21, 2016, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
WTF SERIOUSLY? I have owned 3 evos dating back from 2004 and all of them it was hard to put into reverse (including my 2014) and now I find this out! LOL
Yeah a lot of people don't understand manuals in general and when you watch the tech videos about the 2008 evo engine trans etc you learn the car has no reverse and that the MR takes a while to shut off due to it checking all the gears etc.

The transmission in general is finicky

Quick Reply: Hard to put into reverse gear