Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Clutch burnt out at 14000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch burnt out at 14000 miles?

Hello all I bought my Evo in February and it had 10000 miles on it. It is now at 14000 mile and I have a problem. Whenever I put the car into a gear the car doesn't stall out when I let off the clutch at a complete stop. Also when attempting to drive a birnt clutch smell is very strong and there is a considerable lack of power. Due to this I stopped driving. Can anyone help me diagnose exactly what is wrong before i go spend a butt load of money to fix this?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Trying really hard to understand what you're asking here... So you're saying that your car does not stall and turn off when in gear and no gas is given? hmmmm... this could be more than just your clutch.

You will know when your clutch is slipping by simply giving it gas while driving and not going anywhere like you used to. Your RPM needle will shoot up.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I know of 2 local persons that worn down their clutches under first 10K miles (Evo VIII). It depends on the driving technique. Stock clutch and stock restrictor pill in place?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:43 PM

Yes the RPMs shoot up with no power. The car is on, my foot is on the brake and off the clutch and the carr does not stall out and turn off.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Get a new clutch, previous owner was launching your car. Be happy they nuked the clutch and not the transfer case.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by austin_davee
Yes the RPMs shoot up with no power. The car is on, my foot is on the brake and off the clutch and the carr does not stall out and turn off.

edit: oh, you mean while in gear?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by hydro334

edit: oh, you mean while in gear?
Yes while in gear. Reccomendations for new clutches? And in an effort to save money is this something I want to try myself or pay 900 for a professional to do?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't want to be the one to say it, but I don't think it was the previous owner's fault on this. If they had already ruined the clutch, you would've been able to tell when you bought it at 10k miles.

Have you been launching or driving hard since you bought it? I've seen people on here who ruined the clutch at 1500 miles because they sucked at driving a manual.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
no one knows your car repair ability. if u read the diy on clutch install and think its easy then go for it.
act hdss i heard is good, i've had the comp stg 2, 3 and 4 before and like them.
i always just took it to a shop, faster i guess, and if its a good nice shop they can even tell you if anything else is out of the ordinary
Old Jun 28, 2016, 05:03 PM

I don't think I suck at driving manual. I've been to the track once. I do like to get on her every once in a while. I've added bolt ons and then she just blew one day.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Epyon
I don't want to be the one to say it, but I don't think it was the previous owner's fault on this. If they had already ruined the clutch, you would've been able to tell when you bought it at 10k miles.

Have you been launching or driving hard since you bought it? I've seen people on here who ruined the clutch at 1500 miles because they sucked at driving a manual.
The clutch is that weak in this thing? I have never heard of a clutch going that fast, due to someone being new to manuals.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Evos clutches are weak. I have 15k on mine and it is holding strong still... some people have over 45k on stock clutch.. just demands on your skill at driving. Downshifting, launching, going fast and slamming the clutch in for the psssht, heal toe clutching gone wrong, again... downshift without Rev matching. These can all be your problems.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To be honest improperly breaking in or simply failing to all together will cause premature failure. When the car is new it needs a few hundred city miles like you are driving grandma around to break it in right.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Evos clutches are weak. I have 15k on mine and it is holding strong still... some people have over 45k on stock clutch.. just demands on your skill at driving. Downshifting, launching, going fast and slamming the clutch in for the psssht, heal toe clutching gone wrong, again... downshift without Rev matching. These can all be your problems.

Evo clutches are weak? Are you out of your mind? There are plenty of guys running 400whp on stock clutches without trouble. There are also many who have 80+k miles on stock clutch. If you cant drive, you will burn any clutch. Simple as that.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 05:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Noted. I dont do any of the extra stuff (launches, heel toe) but i drive high way mostly anyway. Onky thing that sucks is i have a couple decent hills around me that i have to hit every day.

When I first got my car in late may, I downshifted without Rev matching. I've just started trying to Rev match, and it's hard to get the timing down but I can feel myself getting better at it. I have the habit of not adding enough gas when downshifting, or coming off the clutch too soon. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Looking at posts like this make me super nervous though.

Quick Reply: Clutch burnt out at 14000 miles?