Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Gear Locked in Second

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Locked in Second

So I was driving back home today and when I wanted to shift from 2nd to 3rd I couldn't, tried all I could but the shifter is stuck in 2nd. I drove home and turned off the car but still couldn't put it to neutral. I have no idea what the problem is and i'm hoping you guys could help.

Car is a 2009 Evo X GSR with 37k miles on it, mods are bolt ons and a tune.

Last edited by mOE_; Jun 30, 2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 05:53 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Check under your hood to see if your shifter bushings are still attached. If that fails try under shifter base.

When was the last time you changed your clutch?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by migs647
Check under your hood to see if your shifter bushings are still attached. If that fails try under shifter base.

I will try that, thank you. And stock clutch
Old Jun 30, 2016, 06:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

First owner? Were you ever hard on the clutch?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I would say its prolly either your shift linkage or something in your transmission crapped out. The fact that even when you turn off the car and cant get it out of gear would lead me to believe its something else other then the clutch.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:28 AM

You were exactly right, it was the ubderhood bushings. I found this piece completely deattached and just chilling there.

When manually moving the linkage (not sure what it's called) I was able to move gears.
Now I think i'm gonna remove the intake and try to reattach the piece and look for more possible problems. Any tips?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
I would say its prolly either your shift linkage or something in your transmission crapped out. The fact that even when you turn off the car and cant get it out of gear would lead me to believe its something else other then the clutch.
Yes it was the linkage, no clutch problems thankfully, checkout #6
Old Jul 1, 2016, 05:05 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by mOE_
You were exactly right, it was the ubderhood bushings. I found this piece completely deattached and just chilling there.

When manually moving the linkage (not sure what it's called) I was able to move gears.
Now I think i'm gonna remove the intake and try to reattach the piece and look for more possible problems. Any tips?
That's great you found it! Do you still have factory bushings? If so, they are probably still intact since they are rubber and don't fall out. If you had aftermarket ones such as AMS bushings, they most likely fell out?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 05:54 PM

That's great you found it! Do you still have factory bushings? If so, they are probably still intact since they are rubber and don't fall out. If you had aftermarket ones such as AMS bushings, they most likely fell out?
I have factory bushings, and yes they're still there. It seemed that the problem was this detached piece fell into a spot where it was preventing the shifter linkage to move freely, other than that I don't see any problems unless i'm missing something out.
Now to reattach this piece i'm gonna need 2 missing screws, is there some place I could look up the size of these screws?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 07:23 AM
EvoM Community Team

I tried looking them up for you in various places, mitsubishiparts.net mitsubishipartssource, etc. Doesn't seem to be any clear messaging of what piece it is.
The following users liked this post:
mOE_ (Jul 2, 2016)