Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Air noise under throttle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air noise under throttle

Hey people.. I bought an Evo X MR about 3 years ago maybe put about 6,000km a year on it went from 40,000km to 62,000km. If you could diagnose this I have heard it on a few other vehicles on youtube but seems no information about it. I used the search tab on this forum but the sounds were a bit different than what I am experiencing. Car was fun but I think I may sell it before it gets too out of hand here with pieces failing on the regular. Perhaps I should of bought a GSR but it doesn't sound transmission related to be honest it's under boost sounds like a leak or broken hose. I took it to the dealership and they said everything was working fine except there was a damaged vacuum line but it wasn't effecting the car at the moment. Is this the vacuum hose? It's only under boost that it happens so I told them to check the turbo but they said it was all functional. Maybe the dealership is full of crap or what?

Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Why didn't the dealer replace the hose they are really cheap.

Sounds like an air leak to me. Did the shop at least show you which hose is damaged?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Could be vacuum.
Find the damaged vacuum line and show us pix - we need to know how it got damaged to make sure it doesn't happen again. And - we will know what it went to.

Any loss in performance? Does it get worse as you keep on it to 5K RPM? If so - it may be a major leak in the boost (UICP/IC/LICP).

If it is only as you hit that 3K RPM spot - I would again suspect a vacuum and not a boost leak.

I hope this helps...
Old Jul 18, 2016, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it's difficult to tell if it's happening under boost or maybe when the engines natural torque curve starts which is around the same RPM.. It progressively gets louder through the throttle yes all the way to the next shift. They said Vacuum hose/breathe hose and duct were damaged but didn't hurt the car at the moment. They said if the idle started to get funny than perhaps get it fixed and it would cost $500 for the parts and labor. I would imagine the parts are probably only like $50-75 dollars but the labor is the majority of the cost. I was thinking it maybe a boost leak or an intercooler pipe was loose or something myself but I had an hour inspection of it and they said nothing was wrong with it just the vacuum/breather hose/duct. Its difficult to tell if there is a loss of performance I feel sometimes the turbo kicks in and sometimes I don't feel it kick in as much and it's too smooth of a pull like only the engine is pulling without the other 60+ hp harnessed from the turbo at stock. Car is at 60,000km which in miles I think is like 33,000 or something so this is when the turbo is scheduled for an inspection according to the maintenance sheet. I feel if I am going to pay $500 for hoses and ducts to goes to the air intake I may as well just get an aftermarket intake and if the turbo is starting to fail I may as well just get a larger one aftermarket also.. I don't know where to find the hoses/pipes that would be loose or leaking I have attempted to look online but the car is like a Mercedes and is over engineered to the point that you can't see much.. On my Honda (older car) everything is just basic and clearly visible.. What I was thinking is.. the only things that that could produce such a noise is turbo, intercooler, piping, airintake, hoses etc.. Engine problems usually sound like ticking, thuds, or screeching noises..I don't see how it's possible that there could be no performance loss as it is losing air somewhere obviously which is pretty much a main component of making power..