Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Daily Driving Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Driving Evo X

First of all let me say i love my evo and all it's rattles. I've had my car for a bit over a year and a half now and love everything about it. Sure the gas mileage isnt great and the tank is a bit small, but it does exactly what i want it to do.

I have daily driven my car from the start, trips out of town, back and forth to work - everything.Now that I'm nearing 30k miles, theres a small part in the back of my mind that doesnt like how fast im putting on the miles. I dont plan on selling it ever, so im not concerned about the value based off the miles, i'm mostly concerned just because im on miles. Should I be worried?

I've even considered buying a small beater just for work. But then i rationalize it as, the money that i spend on a beater, could just be spent rebuilding the motor stronger if anything happens to it. Because then i'd be able to use my car 24/7 and enjoy every second.

Anyone else felt this way or similar? what'd you do?

Last edited by jkane; Oct 3, 2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: one sentence was too long
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I felt this way at first with mine. Decided against a beater car and instead put that money into maintaining the evo and mods

2yrs/40K miles, couple curbed wheels and some rock chips later... All I care about is the smiles per gallon she brings me.

IMO, Keep up with the maintenance and just enjoy the heck out of it so one day you don't look back and have any regrets!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love having 2 cars and will never have just one again... if I can afford it. I guess my commute is unique because I drive to work then park it for at least 3 days. The evo would just be sitting in the elements the whole time.

I plan on doing some serious modding in the future and I'm sure having a reliable daily driver will make the situation less stressful. Having a "slow" commuter also makes driving the evo more enjoyable.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jkane
First of all let me say i love my evo and all it's rattles. I've had my car for a bit over a year and a half now and love everything about it. Sure the gas mileage isnt great and the tank is a bit small, but it does exactly what i want it to do.

I have daily driven my car from the start, trips out of town, back and forth to work - everything.Now that I'm nearing 30k miles, theres a small part in the back of my mind that doesnt like how fast im putting on the miles. I dont plan on selling it ever, so im not concerned about the value based off the miles, i'm mostly concerned just because im putting the miles on my baby. Should I be worried?

I've even considered buying a small beater just for work. But then i rationalize it as, the money that i spend on a beater, could just be spent rebuilding the motor stronger if anything happens to it. Because then i'd be able to use my car 24/7 and enjoy every second.

Interesting post. I've got 24.5k on my X & I daily drive my 2014. I also thought I was doing it wrong by driving it daily but I like the idea of using the beater cost/monthly insurance fees to pay for any upcoming issues. Driving the EVO daily is so much fun except for tailgaters in traffic.

Last edited by arsing116; Sep 23, 2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: edit spelling LOL
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. Really enjoying the fact that you guys are DDing your evos as well. So I sent my gf the link at work and she says

[9/23/2016 12:07 PM]
lol
smiles per gallin
yall are sooooo cheesy
[9/23/2016 12:08 PM]
yeah dont get another car, the way i see it, by the time this one is ALL beat up, like really "loved" youre going to have enough money to treat yourself to a future car

Which is actually another good point. Whats the point of having this car if im not using it how i want to or worrying about it. It would still be awesome having a battle scarred evo sitting in the driveway in the future.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
My car hit 29k miles from DDing when I bought a second car. Chevy Sonic RS, quite a nice little car actually. After 2 years the Evo is now at 35k miles and the Sonic is at 30k. I'm glad I don't have just the Evo at 65k!

Also using a dedicated DD allowed me to get a little crazier with the Evo for track purposes. Coilovers, aggressive tires, stripped interior, stiffer bushings, stiff sways, heavier clutch, loud as heck, small battery, etc. These are all things I wouldn't want in a daily.

Instead I get to drive a car with softer suspension, leather heated seats, backup/nav, 35mpg, etc. every day.

it just sucks when you pull up next to a new STi and you forget you aren't in the Evo.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got a beater for 700 insurance is a breeze and maintenance is lower I don't see the point of driving to let it sit all day. To each his own

i have an insulated garage, heated and cooled. If it sat outside I would probably drive it if the lot was safe to park it in without incurring damage
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by jkane

I have daily driven my car from the start, trips out of town, back and forth to work - everything.Now that I'm nearing 30k miles, theres a small part in the back of my mind that doesnt like how fast im putting on the miles. I dont plan on selling it ever, so im not concerned about the value based off the miles, i'm mostly concerned just because im putting the miles on my baby. Should I be worried?

I felt this way about my last evo - since then I've acquired 3 cars, all daily drivers. evo sits nice and comfortably in the garage, except on weekends and for racing. FWIW my '06 just recently crossed 30k, and I'm thanking myself for running a beater.

That said, I don't see much point in owning a car that you won't be using for a specific purpose. i.e., when I take the evo out, it's getting raced. no offense to anyone but I think cruises and joyrides are lame. if you're not racing your evo, I don't see any point in not driving it all the time. there's a guy on the forums with over 400k miles on his evo lol.

long story short, dual purpose or single purpose, as long as it has a purpose
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Bought a 95 mazda protege for 500 bucks that has been my beater for 4 years. Actually its been the best car i ever owned, i dont do anything to it but change oil and it has never left me stranded. Sure it has a cel and is really rough around the edges but she cranks the first time everytime! Love that car!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your evo is built.I recommend getting a beater and drive the evo on the weekend.My block blew at 30k thats becuz i race it.Like they say u gotta pay to play.My gf is buyin me a new fullybuilt engine so im good.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
absolutely love my DD EVo X GSR has 45K miles and almost 3 years old. lol
Old Sep 28, 2016, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I have 19k miles in 11 months, DD.

I used to own multiple cars, but I ended driving the most fun one anyway. The Evo is just a fun car so I'll drive it all I can...I haven't even let odd rattles bother me yet.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I think my Evo X MR makes a very solid DD... minus the gas mileage. I DD a supercharged 8th gen Si though.... which is a worse DD than the Evo in just about every way except gas mileage

It works out since both cars are a lot of fun to drive.. and if one needs work the other is always there. I usually take the Evo to work at least once a week (70 miles round trip). The civic has been down the last two weeks actually so I've gotten a lot of seat time in the Evo
Old Sep 29, 2016, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was in a very similar boat as you. I'm not one to try and keep miles off my cars, I want to enjoy them. But the more you look at it, a lot of those miles are just the boring times driving down the highway. What fun are they? Wouldn't you rather spend those miles on a backroad? Or doing some nice pulls? That was my deciding factor. I recently bought a cheap little beater car for drives to work. I'm much happier with my Evo not taking the DD abuse. Good luck with your choice.

Cheers
Old Sep 29, 2016, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I daily drive mine and love it. I don't think the car beats me up like other people say it does. You put a solid coilover on like me, I have Ohlins the ride is amazing. I'm not concerned with miles, cars are meant to be driven.

I do hate the tailgaters as someone mentioned above, I believe people do this because of the nature of the car. You also get the clowns who try and mess with you and race you but I just love my X. It's a beautiful mean, aggressive looking car and I never go a day without someone looking at it or giving me a thumbs up.

Quick Reply: Daily Driving Evo X