Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Want Help for tips on buying Evo X MR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
The 'new glue' isn't bulletproof, had that go out on my 2nd gear was a 3k fix so yay lol. Helps Kozmic motorsports in same town as me!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 06:15 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
The 'new glue' isn't bulletproof, had that go out on my 2nd gear was a 3k fix so yay lol. Helps Kozmic motorsports in same town as me!
I read Kozmic saying it just fails in a different way now. The glue comes off with the magnet vs staying on the shift fork, or something like that.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
OP, any particular reason why you want an MR? Cause maybe you do not want to shift gears? because other than tranny and the wing, you can get a 2012-13 GSR for lesser miles and not have to worry about the tranny issues with identical options.

I had a 2013 MR and bought it in early 2015 with 8k miles for 35k. It had every option possible.. Nav, leather, etc, I sold it almost 18 months later for 32k. My biggest reason for selling it was that I could not connect with the car because it was not manual. Unfortunately, I did not feel like I was in control of the car. Hard to explain but I recommend test driving one if you have never driven one. I did not have the car long enough to experience any tranny issues tho but that was another reason why I decided to sell it.

here is my for sale thread for it.. I took all the pics down except one.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...11k-miles.html

Last edited by Astro_Train; Feb 6, 2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Astro_Train
OP, any particular reason why you want an MR? Cause maybe you do not want to shift gears? because other than tranny and the wing, you can get a 2012-13 GSR for lesser miles and not have to worry about the tranny issues with identical options.

I had a 2013 MR and bought it in early 2015 with 8k miles for 35k. It had every option possible.. Nav, leather, etc, I sold it almost 18 months later for 32k. My biggest reason for selling it was that I could not connect with the car because it was not manual. Unfortunately, I did not feel like I was in control of the car. Hard to explain but I recommend test driving one if you have never driven one. I did not have the car long enough to experience any tranny issues tho but that was another reason why I decided to sell it.

here is my for sale thread for it.. I took all the pics down except one.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...11k-miles.html
Not sure what OP means but my reasoning is, i want the extra gear. I have read and heard that in the GSR you can have a highway drone. So yeah I want that extra gear even if it means not a manual
Old Feb 7, 2017, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I read Kozmic saying it just fails in a different way now. The glue comes off with the magnet vs staying on the shift fork, or something like that.
Yeah that's what it was, his technique is superior when fixing it, and it doesn't happen as frequently as earlier models, however it failed on my 14 MR with under 40k on it. Great for me it was already modified so Mitsubishi would have told me to pound sand so I had to foot the bill.

This isn't meant to freak out the OP, however I did want him to know that the better MR isn't bulletproof but is a lower risk than an earlier year at least.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tofuninja12
Not sure what OP means but my reasoning is, i want the extra gear. I have read and heard that in the GSR you can have a highway drone. So yeah I want that extra gear even if it means not a manual
This was a factor in my decision but the bottom line for me was the extra level of performance you can achieve with the MR. Tossing it into 1st around a corner is crazy fast and intense and the milisecond shifts especially after Kozmic gave it a tweak are f-ing awesome.

I'm a lifelong stickshift driver, had a 2014 GSR then a 2014 MR and I would buy the MR again if I was walking on the lot based on my experiences with it.

Is a great car.

Now of course if I was rich I'd have a GSR and MR lol. But I do have an 05 WRX if I want to row the gears which is nice
Old Feb 7, 2017, 09:05 AM

This was a factor in my decision but the bottom line for me was the extra level of performance you can achieve with the MR. Tossing it into 1st around a corner is crazy fast and intense and the milisecond shifts especially after Kozmic gave it a tweak are f-ing awesome.

I'm a lifelong stickshift driver, had a 2014 GSR then a 2014 MR and I would buy the MR again if I was walking on the lot based on my experiences with it.

Is a great car.

Now of course if I was rich I'd have a GSR and MR lol. But I do have an 05 WRX if I want to row the gears which is nice
So you have the 2014 MR? How do you like it and have you done mods to it?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly the same experience for me.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 09:27 PM

Yeah that's what it was, his technique is superior when fixing it, and it doesn't happen as frequently as earlier models, however it failed on my 14 MR with under 40k on it. Great for me it was already modified so Mitsubishi would have told me to pound sand so I had to foot the bill.

This isn't meant to freak out the OP, however I did want him to know that the better MR isn't bulletproof but is a lower risk than an earlier year at least.
What exactly does OP mean?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tofuninja12
What exactly does OP mean?
Original Poster.

Love my 14 MR. Have an UICP drop in air filter, catted test pipe, EBCS and tune. Basic boltons really. Car is very quick and fun to drive, and tuned by Kozmic motorsports who are the best with the MR imo.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
sounds like OP is set on MR. Driving preferences are always subjective. My advice is spend the extra money and buy a lower mileage 2012 or newer MR then.. or find one that has been taken care of by its owner.

I went back to a IX altogether so for me it was likely the combination of a different chassis and never could get into the X MRs tranny.

As for the drone.. it never bothers me as I am not a fan of loud exhausts to begin with so that usually is what tends to exacerbate the issue. I did have an 06 MR and having the 6th gear for the highway is nice but I rarely do much highway travels with any my EVOs as I have a DD for long trips.

good luck with your search.

Last edited by Astro_Train; Feb 12, 2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good info; didn't know about these slight upgrades on the tranny depending on the year.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 08:19 AM

I've had my 2011 MR for 6 trouble free years. The key is servicing the SST and not driving like a manic. I flush with OEM fluid at 10K and at 20K intervals subsequently. Approaching 68K miles. Installed an SSP filter with first flush. I probably will have a rebuild with SSP 500 clutch pack in 5K more miles. I had a stick previously but driving in bumper to bumper traffic with a stick can be tiresome. I would get a stick as a weekend car only now.