Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Want Help for tips on buying Evo X MR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want Help for tips on buying Evo X MR

I am new to the Evo Scene and new to the fourms
I am looking to buy a Evo X MR completely Stock in SoCal.
I am wondering if I can buy one for $25k
And what are the differences between the 08 Evo X MR and 10 Evo X MR
Also how can I tell if a car at a dealership has been modified or not

Thank you

Last edited by Tofuninja12; Feb 6, 2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: More questions
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Depends on the year, but the newer the better. The MR is a great platform, I have one, but understand that the maintenance is higher than you might expect. If the car has 50k or so on it, expect to immediately change out your transmission fluid which is about a $600 job and should be done every 30k miles.

As for telling if it has been modified best is to post up pictures here so people can weigh in. Also be sure to read a lot of posts and research on this and other sites. Google searching can help you figure things out what to look for. Past that the final thing I'd do is have a third party car inspector take a look at the car in the lot. You can usually ask the dealership if they have any issue with a company coming to do that type of inspection. (most won't and will have a few they work with)

Final thing is they revised the timing chain in the 2011 on up. Might be worth saving a bit and trying to get a 2011 or newer so you avoid that issue. (older ones could stretch and roast your engine)

Good luck, it's a great car if you find a good one!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Depends on the year, but the newer the better. The MR is a great platform, I have one, but understand that the maintenance is higher than you might expect. If the car has 50k or so on it, expect to immediately change out your transmission fluid which is about a $600 job and should be done every 30k miles.

As for telling if it has been modified best is to post up pictures here so people can weigh in. Also be sure to read a lot of posts and research on this and other sites. Google searching can help you figure things out what to look for. Past that the final thing I'd do is have a third party car inspector take a look at the car in the lot. You can usually ask the dealership if they have any issue with a company coming to do that type of inspection. (most won't and will have a few they work with)

Final thing is they revised the timing chain in the 2011 on up. Might be worth saving a bit and trying to get a 2011 or newer so you avoid that issue. (older ones could stretch and roast your engine)

Good luck, it's a great car if you find a good one!
So you would recommend try to buy a 2011+, and try to get one with under 50k or if I do I should get an transmission oil change.
But do you think I can get one for 25k?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yea you can I sold my 2011 GSR with 35 k miles for 23. So I would imagine if your willing to bend on the miles you can.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 01:09 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Apparently there is a revision to the transmission in 2012 that is a big improvement, so while a 2011 is better from an engine standpoint from earlier years the 2012 is even better because of this revision to the transmission.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Apparently there is a revision to the transmission in 2012 that is a big improvement, so while a 2011 is better from an engine standpoint from earlier years the 2012 is even better because of this revision to the transmission.
Then I'd shoot for a 2012 or higher based on this. The MR transmission is SILLY expensive to fix or replace. So you want to do anything you can to try and get a solid one. I think a 2012 would run you around 25-27 but I'd find one from a Southern state so it doesn't have salt damage.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ode1=LANCEREVO

Here is one in your range, though it has been modified. That could be good or bad depending on who tuned it. In the wrong hands, a tuned MR can be a nightmare.

Lot in your range that are 2012. BE WILLING TO TRAVEL and just plan on driving it home

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...LANCEREVO%7CMR
Old Feb 6, 2017, 01:14 PM

What changed in the 2012 update exactly?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tofuninja12
What changed in the 2012 update exactly?
Getrag changed the epoxy they use to hold the magnets to the shift forks, and they revised the torque damper.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Weren't the differential pins strengthened?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Then I'd shoot for a 2012 or higher based on this. The MR transmission is SILLY expensive to fix or replace. So you want to do anything you can to try and get a solid one. I think a 2012 would run you around 25-27 but I'd find one from a Southern state so it doesn't have salt damage.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ode1=LANCEREVO

Here is one in your range, though it has been modified. That could be good or bad depending on who tuned it. In the wrong hands, a tuned MR can be a nightmare.

Lot in your range that are 2012. BE WILLING TO TRAVEL and just plan on driving it home

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...LANCEREVO%7CMR
I'm trying to find one bone stock or if it has mods then i would like to know exactly what it has
Old Feb 6, 2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by moparfan
Weren't the differential pins strengthened?
No, its pictured on page 8 of this document:

http://kozmicmotorsports.com/img_upl...structions.pdf

Edit: sorry i as responding to your initial post about the damper. I do believe the diff pins where also revised, but in 2010
Old Feb 6, 2017, 02:10 PM

No, its pictured on page 8 of this document:

http://kozmicmotorsports.com/img_upl...structions.pdf

Edit: sorry i as responding to your initial post about the damper. I do believe the diff pins where also revised, but in 2010
So should I look for 2010+ or 2012+?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by tofuninja12
so should i look for 2010+ or 2012+?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Diff pin revision was done on the GSR's, not the MR, as far as I know.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Diff pin revision was done on the GSR's, not the MR, as far as I know.
Yah they do have a different T-case i believe, so maybe it was never even a problem with the MR.

Quick Reply: Want Help for tips on buying Evo X MR