Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2014 Lean Spike

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Lean Spike

Hello dear Evo Owners,

Been searching around the forum to see if anyones experiencing the same issue
Bought the car new and is a '14 GSR w TC-SST. now with about 23k Miles. I have recently noticed that the car has a lean spike on the AFR during idle. It reads over 16 for a few seconds before going back to 14.7. This happened after I made changes to my muffler section of the exhaust. (WOT AFR reading is healthy at 11.1 - 11.4 and avg idle at 14.6-14.7)

The car initially was using the HKS Super Turbo Muffler, but now the muffler section has been removed and changed to a custom twin outlet with 2 resonators. The lean spike seldom occurs, so far it has only happened twice since the last 2 weeks the muffler has been removed. Is it possible the car lean spiked cuz of the increase flow due to the removal of the muffler?

My car was already tuned before with these mods:

HKS Super Turbo Muffler
HKS Racing Suction Kit Reloaded
HKS EVC IR 6 IR 2.4 EBC
HKS SSQV BOV
Tomei Test Pipe
PLX Wideband
Prosport Boost Gauge

Post Tune mods:

HKS Hipermax 4GT
Tomei Widemouth DP
Blitz SE FMIC
Muffler Delete (Twin resonated outlet)

I browsed the forum and the web and some have mentioned that altering catbacks will not interfere the existing tune. Based in south east asia, where we have summer season all year.

I hope I can get help with this.

Thanks!

Last edited by nwai406; Apr 2, 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by nwai406
Hello dear Evo Owners,

Been searching around the forum to see if anyones experiencing the same issue
Bought the car new and is a '14 GSR w TC-SST. now with about 23k Miles. I have recently noticed that the car has a lean spike on the AFR during idle. It reads over 16 for a few seconds before going back to 14.7. This happened after I made changes to my muffler section of the exhaust. (WOT AFR reading is healthy at 11.1 - 11.4 and avg idle at 14.6-14.7)

The car initially was using the HKS Super Turbo Muffler, but now the muffler section has been removed and changed to a custom twin outlet with 2 resonators. The lean spike seldom occurs, so far it has only happened twice since the last 2 weeks the muffler has been removed. Is it possible the car lean spiked cuz of the increase flow due to the removal of the muffler?

My car was already tuned before with these mods:

HKS Super Turbo Muffler
HKS Racing Suction Kit Reloaded
HKS EVC IR 6 IR 2.4 EBC
HKS SSQV BOV
Tomei Test Pipe
PLX Wideband
Prosport Boost Gauge

Post Tune mods:

HKS Hipermax 4GT
Tomei Widemouth DP
Blitz SE FMIC
Muffler Delete (Twin resonated outlet)

I browsed the forum and the web and some have mentioned that altering catbacks will not interfere the existing tune. Based in south east asia, where we have summer season all year.

I hope I can get help with this.

Thanks!
A drastic change like that is definitely not the result of a muffler change. Hell, you could completely remove the catback and it won't make that kind of difference.

Are you able to data log? I'd log a few cruising runs and a few WOT runs just to make sure there isn't a spike that you aren't able to see on the gauge. Theres a few things it could be, Wideband issue, injectors, pump, clogged return line, and although your car has a newer fuel relay (I believe?) I would just go ahead and replace that just to be safe.
The following users liked this post:
nwai406 (Apr 3, 2017)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Take off that BOV put the stock one back on and see if you have any issues. You don't need the BOV unless you have a massive turbo, so remove that problem imo and see how it runs then.
nwai406 (Apr 3, 2017)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Take off that BOV put the stock one back on and see if you have any issues. You don't need the BOV unless you have a massive turbo, so remove that problem imo and see how it runs then.
If anything that BOV would only cause it to run slightly rich between shifts wouldn't it?
nwai406 (Apr 3, 2017)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by jakgal04
If anything that BOV would only cause it to run slightly rich between shifts wouldn't it?
Anytime I see weird behavior and see aftermarket BOV when one isn't required, it's the first thing I recommend taking off and putting back to stock lol. They can be mis-adjusted or mis-installed so many different ways imo.
nwai406 (Apr 3, 2017)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If you're seeing a lean spike at idle it is more than likely a slight misfire - 02 sensors are not designed to read raw fuel. Cam timing at idle can also affect this - possible that the DP and larger intercooler are kind of playing with the settings a little bit.

I wouldn't put too much worry into it as long as the AFRs are still stable when it really counts.

-ash
nwai406 (Apr 3, 2017)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by jakgal04
A drastic change like that is definitely not the result of a muffler change. Hell, you could completely remove the catback and it won't make that kind of difference.

Are you able to data log? I'd log a few cruising runs and a few WOT runs just to make sure there isn't a spike that you aren't able to see on the gauge. Theres a few things it could be, Wideband issue, injectors, pump, clogged return line, and although your car has a newer fuel relay (I believe?) I would just go ahead and replace that just to be safe.
Hey thanks jakgal04.

Yeah thought it was unusual for the back part of the exhaust to cause any interference w the wideband readings. I am not able to data log the car at the moment, prolly get it logged this weekend the soonest. will update if theres any loggings i can share. At WOT the car is healthy. Ive seen other owners having idle afrs exceeding spiked 16 and not having any issues.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Thanks for the heads up man.

I'll get a check on my BOV, though its very unlikely for it to be the main culprit cuz the car was tuned with it and have been running golden for a year now. the spike started to happen after the muffler delete mod.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by static_set
If you're seeing a lean spike at idle it is more than likely a slight misfire - 02 sensors are not designed to read raw fuel. Cam timing at idle can also affect this - possible that the DP and larger intercooler are kind of playing with the settings a little bit.

I wouldn't put too much worry into it as long as the AFRs are still stable when it really counts.

-ash
Thats what I thought too. The combo of the DP and intercooler might cause the spike since ive installed it post tune. Not to mention the current hot climate were experiencing now.

And yes considering the AFR readings usually stabilize itself I shouldnt be too worried. Ive seen others having a more leaner spike reading and their car runs great. Luckily my tuner will be around this month, might be the best time to have the car checked. For the time being, i'll monitor the car some more and see if there are any changes. Thanks Ash.