Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo x leak down and compression results

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo x leak down and compression results

Hey guys

long story short bought a 2012 evo x gsr from a dealer lol
was not letting me go above 60mph if i did or even try to floor it while hitting boost it’ll misfire and cel would pop

gave me a code p0048 and later on gave me p0300

first code local shop said it’ll need a tune due to the ecu wasn’t supporting the mods it has so basically everything was right with the mods it has i said no worries you know ?

Than i find out I’m misfiring changed sparks and coils and was still running rough and idling weird and i heard small back fires so i said wtf and took it back to my local shop

they perform a leak down and compression test and these are my results

cyl 1 143psi , normal Leakdown so 0-20% range

cyl 2 133psi , normal Leakdown

cyl 3 60psi , 95% < now that’s a wtf lol

cyl 4 145psi , normal Leakdown

What do you guys think ? Broken ring ? Etc etc ?
im not too worried about $$$ since i have a Powertrain warranty and as well dealer is helping me out getting this issue fixed I’m not going to be paying for this so I’m going to get them to pay or have the warranty cover idc what it takes to get this issue fix but I’m not paying out of pocket lol

anyways what do you guys think the issue is ?
local shop did recommend to take apart the motor to find whatever the issue could be so as in for now i just want you’re guys opinion on what could be the issue on cyl 3 ?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
If that reading is right then the car should be running rough all the time and a code p0303 should be stored. Did the shop tell you where the leak was coming from either intake or exhaust side from the leak down test? It can be a cracked/broken ring land or bent valves. It will deff need to be taken apart.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by wht95scort
If that reading is right then the car should be running rough all the time and a code p0303 should be stored. Did the shop tell you where the leak was coming from either intake or exhaust side from the leak down test? It can be a cracked/broken ring land or bent valves. It will deff need to be taken apart.

shop just told me to check out the issue they’ll have to take apart the motor to give me a legit answer you know ? But the codes that popped up while i had it at the moment was a MAP/MAF throttle position calibration & the multiple misfire changed sparks and coils test drove it popped up again , rechecked everything and i test drove it driving normally and all didn’t pop up at all , did multiple start cycles Nd nope didn’t pop up but still idle rough
Old Dec 23, 2019, 06:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
A 2012 Evo no longer has a powertrain warranty. It’s 5yr/60k on Evos.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/service/warranty

You can scope the cylinders to see if it’s piston/rings. Either way, it’s coming apart with those numbers.

Old Dec 23, 2019, 06:30 PM

i have a 3rd party warranty but yea with those numbers it has to come apart
Old Dec 23, 2019, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cylinder 2 is suspicious too.
I bet you have an intake valve issue on #3. It's forcing pressure back into the manifold, which is why you hear the backfires. It's also throwing off the boost monitoring system because it's seeing all these odd pressure spikes.
Head has to come off I'm sure. If you just bought it from a dealer there is NO way they sold it like that without knowing before.
If the head is going off, put some ARP head studs in when it goes back together. Hell, if it needs valves or springs, just put a better cam and spring set in.

If it's an aftermarket warranty, they will pay an amount based on stock parts. You might be able to get the warranty to cover what it would be stock, then just pay the difference for the aftermarket parts. The hard part though, would be convincing them to do it.

Ask them if the warranty is good at other shops, if it is, I would call some performance shops to see if they will work with you. I used to be a service manager for 7 years, there are ways to make that work and make everyone happy...
Old Dec 23, 2019, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Warhawker
Cylinder 2 is suspicious too.
I bet you have an intake valve issue on #3. It's forcing pressure back into the manifold, which is why you hear the backfires. It's also throwing off the boost monitoring system because it's seeing all these odd pressure spikes.
Head has to come off I'm sure. If you just bought it from a dealer there is NO way they sold it like that without knowing before.
If the head is going off, put some ARP head studs in when it goes back together. Hell, if it needs valves or springs, just put a better cam and spring set in.

If it's an aftermarket warranty, they will pay an amount based on stock parts. You might be able to get the warranty to cover what it would be stock, then just pay the difference for the aftermarket parts. The hard part though, would be convincing them to do it.

Ask them if the warranty is good at other shops, if it is, I would call some performance shops to see if they will work with you. I used to be a service manager for 7 years, there are ways to make that work and make everyone happy...

yea thanks for that reminder I’ll let the shop know about the ARP studs but I’ll convince The insurance about it , and as well the shop is a professional shop specialize in subies and evos and all Awd cars so i feel like they know what they doing all they need is my approval to take it apart (only reason why I’m holding back is for the warranty claim To accept it and/or dealer to work things out with the shop and see what goes on.... I’ll get a update on Thursday)
Old Dec 23, 2019, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

You will probably have to initially approve teardown before they (the warranty) agree to anything. That's usually how the companies I've worked with handle it. With numbers like that, I would not be afraid to front the teardown, because once the failure is found to be warrantable the teardown labor will be included in the coverage.

If it's within 30 days of the sale, it may complicates things between the warranty, the shop, and the selling dealer.
The warranty will question the selling dealer's decision to offer a warranty on the car, on grounds that it was a prexisting condition. As a consumer, it should not change much other than cause delays. They may send, actually they probably will send a 3rd party inspector to verify the car is stock, and it was not from an outside source.

If it has any stickers, or anything that indicates it was tuned or messed with at any point, now is the time to remove it.

My responses are lengthy, but I've seen it happen a lot and I would hate to have it happen to anyone on this board.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 08:48 PM

You will probably have to initially approve teardown before they (the warranty) agree to anything. That's usually how the companies I've worked with handle it. With numbers like that, I would not be afraid to front the teardown, because once the failure is found to be warrantable the teardown labor will be included in the coverage.

If it's within 30 days of the sale, it may complicates things between the warranty, the shop, and the selling dealer.
The warranty will question the selling dealer's decision to offer a warranty on the car, on grounds that it was a prexisting condition. As a consumer, it should not change much other than cause delays. They may send, actually they probably will send a 3rd party inspector to verify the car is stock, and it was not from an outside source.

If it has any stickers, or anything that indicates it was tuned or messed with at any point, now is the time to remove it.

My responses are lengthy, but I've seen it happen a lot and I would hate to have it happen to anyone on this board.
so basically just approve the shop to tear it down ? And once the issue been found the labor for all that will go straight for the warranty coverage ?

i did buy the car 2 weeks ago i did tear drive it i didn’t feel any issues which is so odd until i hit the freeway that’s where i noticed issues

dealer did remove stickers that it had and waxed it and all stock on the outside but modified and raped on the inside lol ..

but i feel it there’s a delay right now due to the dealer not yet activated my warranty , and as well when i call out the dealer about the issues, all l they said was they’ll try and work something out with me and to not submit a claim yet lol so i have to wait Thursday see what they can do if they’ll willing to pay for the repairs by all means I’ll love that but if not I’m bringing in warranty process and let the nightmare begin ...
Old Dec 23, 2019, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

I see, so they are waiting for those 30 days.
Sounds like you just had a legit failure after you bought the car then. If it ****ed a valve, there is no way a used vehicle inspection would have predicated that.
Damn good thing you got the warranty.

Read it closely, where it goes into what they are responsible for. Make sure internal engine and cylinder head items are covered, read the whole damn thing. Look for any clauses they say they can use used parts, because a lot of third party warranties will do that. They ship in used junkyard crap. However, for a repair like yours I bet they will just go OEM.

I would wait till the month is up if you can. If not, you can always start the claim yourself as the driver, get a reference number, and then give that to the shop. Tell them you have an "emergency mechanical failure" and the car "needs to be towed. to prevent further damage." Ask them just to verify how the diagnosis and teardown costs work. Like I said, they may initially put you on the hook for those but you want to make sure that they are covered if the failure is a covered item.

If you get a reference number, give that to the shop along with the number to reach the company. You may also need to take the leap of faith, and tell them up front that you will cover the teardown in the unlikley event it's not covered. (somehow)
Old Dec 23, 2019, 09:15 PM

I see, so they are waiting for those 30 days.
Sounds like you just had a legit failure after you bought the car then. If it ****ed a valve, there is no way a used vehicle inspection would have predicated that.
Damn good thing you got the warranty.

Read it closely, where it goes into what they are responsible for. Make sure internal engine and cylinder head items are covered, read the whole damn thing. Look for any clauses they say they can use used parts, because a lot of third party warranties will do that. They ship in used junkyard crap. However, for a repair like yours I bet they will just go OEM.

I would wait till the month is up if you can. If not, you can always start the claim yourself as the driver, get a reference number, and then give that to the shop. Tell them you have an "emergency mechanical failure" and the car "needs to be towed. to prevent further damage." Ask them just to verify how the diagnosis and teardown costs work. Like I said, they may initially put you on the hook for those but you want to make sure that they are covered if the failure is a covered item.

If you get a reference number, give that to the shop along with the number to reach the company. You may also need to take the leap of faith, and tell them up front that you will cover the teardown in the unlikley event it's not covered. (somehow)

yea sounds like it as well waiting for those 30 days and all ,

i did read over what covers and what doesn’t cover

does cover internal components and etc but doesn’t cover normal maintenance such as clutch , spark plugs , oil changes , just simple normal stuff you know ?

right now my car is at the shop and i did mention if all means fails and warranty doesn’t happen do they have other financial options that i can do like monthly payments or whatever they like yea no worries we can talk that out if that has to come down to that but yea they have the whole paper work of the warranty and have the number to call and make claims

oh as i forgot i did call the warranty company and see for my self what they can do and i did mention examples and such they like yea we can cover that problem with your motor but won’t be able to cover like normal maintenance stuff like i said sparks , brakes , pads , rotors etc etc

Old Dec 23, 2019, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

That all makes sense. It should work out. Let us know what they find, my bet is an intake valve not sealing.

Old Dec 23, 2019, 09:23 PM

That all makes sense. It should work out. Let us know what they find, my bet is an intake valve not sealing.

I’ll keep y’all updated by end of this week !

but thank you for that info about the how that warranty process works never knew about that !
Old Dec 24, 2019, 07:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Extended warranty will not cover it if you just purchased the vehicle. It was sold with the problem. They will deny your claim.
Too bad they are tearing it down. If they have not begun to tear it down then go and take your vehicle and put
some miles on it asap and wait at least 1 more month. I worked at a dealership for 6 years only doing 3rd party warranty claims.
The dealership would often sell cars with problems like yours not telling the customer, but make sure it was sold with warranty so that 2-3 months
down the line the warranty will cover that issue. We would usually put the customer in one of our many loaner cars for months and
put miles on the car our self until its time to file. Does the car have an intake or exhaust? if so they will denied the claim. The inspector comes in and takes many pics of
the vehicle which are sent back to the Warranty company on the spot. if they see any modifications they can and will deny the claim.
Read the contract they really cover their ***.

Old Dec 24, 2019, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE
Extended warranty will not cover it if you just purchased the vehicle. It was sold with the problem. They will deny your claim.
Too bad they are tearing it down. If they have not begun to tear it down then go and take your vehicle and put
some miles on it asap and wait at least 1 more month. I worked at a dealership for 6 years only doing 3rd party warranty claims.
The dealership would often sell cars with problems like yours not telling the customer, but make sure it was sold with warranty so that 2-3 months
down the line the warranty will cover that issue. We would usually put the customer in one of our many loaner cars for months and
put miles on the car our self until its time to file. Does the car have an intake or exhaust? if so they will denied the claim. The inspector comes in and takes many pics of
the vehicle which are sent back to the Warranty company on the spot. if they see any modifications they can and will deny the claim.
Read the contract they really cover their ***.

car does have mods , but no the shop hasn’t tore it down at the moment i just told them to wait and see what happens with the dealer because i did call the dealer on what’s going on for selling me a raped car lol and they’re like “just call us back on Thursday after the holidays and we will work something out i don’t want you to submit a claim yet” maybe waiting for those 30days to pass by like the previous person mention , but ima be on their *** and hopefully they will pay for parts and labor because like wtf haha

so far i only put like 1k miles on it since i had it but it’s only been like 2weeks On having the damn car .. and i can’t really put much miles on it due to my tranny being bad as well and the shifter bushing cables are bad one slips off and burning my clutch so i had to zip tie it at the moment but i did order one from maperformance just waiting on that but let’s just hope the dealer is willing to pay for the repairs or see what they can do just gotta wait till Thursday

Quick Reply: Evo x leak down and compression results