Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HELP! Swapped ECU Evo X Car doesn't Start HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Swapped ECU Evo X Car doesn't Start HELP!

Hey Guys,

I'm going to give this a shot to see how smart you guys are. I hate reaching out, but I am out of ideas and its driving me nuts. So I recently bought a 2015 Evo X GSR without key fobs from auction. When I received the car the old ECU was bricked, so I had another ECU, Immobilizer and Key Fobs from another 2015 GSR to swap over. Once this was done the car would unlock and lock with with the new key fobs.

After doing all of this the car still doesn't start and the key isn't recognized. I did have a key cut for the car to try bypassing the stupid (Smart Key) and had 2 different locksmiths come to reprogram the keys, which they said they are already programmed? This is where I'm lost. So obviously if the key isn't being recognized there is some communication problem as I get that message on the display about the key. So I'm familiar with ECUflash and have disabled my immobilizer at this point. Unless I'm missing something on ECUflash.

So with either the immobilizer disable or enabled with the cut key it still doesn't let me start the car. When I turn the key on and attempt to start the car all I hear running is the fuel pump and that's when I'm holding the key in the start position. Is there something blocking the car from not starting or engaging the starter or is it a VIN communication problem arising somewhere else? One thing I did notice when I haven't attempted to try to start the car in a few days then I try working on it again and want to start it, its like I barely hear the starter jump for a less than a second, then after that just goes back to me hearing the fuel pump when holding the key in the start position. Its like the car wants to turn over, but it doesn't. The car only has 20k miles on it so the odds of a bad starer I see slim.

Any suggestions would be great and if you guys need my ROM please let me know. I hope you guys can help!

Thanks!
John
Old Jan 9, 2020, 08:49 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Maybe check and see if the car had an aftermarket alarm installed.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Maybe check and see if the car had an aftermarket alarm installed.
Biggiesacks. Already confirmed this there is no aftermarket alarms on the car.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
What all did you get with your immobilizer swap? Just the Immobilizer ECM? I think the column receiver is keyed to the immobilizer as well. Might need access to a MUT to get everything coded correctly
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by splattj
What all did you get with your immobilizer swap? Just the Immobilizer ECM? I think the column receiver is keyed to the immobilizer as well. Might need access to a MUT to get everything coded correctly
Splattj This is everything I swapped out in the attached photo. Please let me know if I'm missing something else. Anyone in the Charlotte, NC Area that would have access to a MUT besides the dealer. I will pay/tip well.

Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I can't make out the far left bit. Did you get the ignition cylinder that matches the keys and the corresponding transponder attached?

Attached Thumbnails HELP! Swapped ECU Evo X Car doesn't Start HELP!-2009-mitsubishi-lancer-ralliart-oem-ecu-ignition-_57.jpg  
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:58 PM

I can't make out the far left bit. Did you get the ignition cylinder that matches the keys and the corresponding transponder attached?
Yes that was changed out. Its to the far left in the photo. I didn't swap the cylinder, but did swap the transponder that is attached to the cylinder.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Aside from the FAST key sensors in the doors and trunk, which AFAIK are just receivers, I think that's everything.

From your last paragraph it sounds like a power to the starter issue. Have someone check the signal to the starter with a meter when you try to start the car. If you see voltage to the solenoid, it might be a starter or power/ground to the starter issue.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:15 AM

Aside from the FAST key sensors in the doors and trunk, which AFAIK are just receivers, I think that's everything.

From your last paragraph it sounds like a power to the starter issue. Have someone check the signal to the starter with a meter when you try to start the car. If you see voltage to the solenoid, it might be a starter or power/ground to the starter issue.
Alright so I have an update after checking the starter out. Now the car turns over, but I am not getting any spark and I'm still getting the message of the picture below. Do you think I need a MUT III? Is there something else I need to replace on top of everything else? Something VIN related

Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

From everything I've seen/read, you'll need a MUT to code/VIN match all the immobilizer components with the ECU. There must be another coded immobilizer component you're missing or they didn't provide you matched components. Sucks you're struggling with this one! Any chance you can revive the original ECU with a bench flash?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 05:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
The "new" ECU needs the VIN written to match the car. Without that, it won't communicate with the CAN system, and the car won't start.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 05:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The "new" ECU needs the VIN written to match the car. Without that, it won't communicate with the CAN system, and the car won't start.
100% correct.

dealer or use the fun russian app.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
100% correct.

dealer or use the fun russian app.
Razorlab, I order a MUT III last week. I will keep you guys updated once I can tackle this VIN change. It should be in this weekend or next week. Just took one of my old laptops and put Windows Xp on her.

Thank you guys for the help!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

I was rereading your posts and I realized the seller didn't give you the ETACS ECU! (module on the right) You'll be able to VIN match everything once you get your MUT but that's your culprit.....