Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone ever regret selling their Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I've thought about a GTR as well. I know they are super expensive to maintain. At least that's what my friend tells me. I wonder if it would be as much fun...
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:53 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloud0307
I've thought about a GTR as well. I know they are super expensive to maintain. At least that's what my friend tells me. I wonder if it would be as much fun...
I've driven both back to back in a "spirited fashion". The Evo is more fun, the GTR was faster for me (corrected my errors). The Evo makes me be a better driver, the GTR allowed me to not have to work as hard. So, like everyone says, it's really all up to you and what you want out of the car.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I've driven both back to back in a "spirited fashion". The Evo is more fun, the GTR was faster for me (corrected my errors). The Evo makes me be a better driver, the GTR allowed me to not have to work as hard. So, like everyone says, it's really all up to you and what you want out of the car.
Very well put. Thank you for the feedback
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Feb 16, 2020)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Hey everyone,

Been awhile since I have been on here. I parted out my car and sold it middle of last year. After several months, I'm missing it like crazy. I sold it because I had a second baby coming and was trying to be smart and look at it as an extra expense I didn't need. I'm effing miserable without a car. I loved that car and it was glorious, lol. Anyone ever sell and regret it? Anyone go back to an Evo? I'm wondering if it is just a dumb move to buy another and mod it all up again? Cars make me happy and specifically the Evo. I would also find excuses to drive it, no matter if it was like a quick 5 minute trip to get something and back.

I've highly been contemplating getting a 2017-2018 CTS V as well. Just looking for anyone else who has been in the same boat.

My old car as reference
I did, until I bought a new Honda Type R. Until then I had big time EVO regret - I actually flew out to Philadelphia and Chicago on two separate trips trying to get one.

Fast forward to now - I bought a 2019 Type R and it sounds like an EVO, handles on par with / better than an EVO - the only thing it lacks is AWD off the line - but even that was / is a non issue since neither car is a stoplight racer.

I thought the Type R a gimmick, not worth a second look - then I test drove a used one and realized that this is an exceptional car. Pulls hard to redline stock - handles like crazy - great MPG's when you want - tolerable when you're in boost all the time.

The EVO was a fantastic car, and as much as I pined for it and believe me, I did - I just wish I had known the Type R was around and I would have saved two trips and a lot of irritation!

Good luck with your car journey, but there are a lot of fun cars out there - go sample some and see!

Anyone ever regret selling their Evo?-5j2zc9i.jpg
Anyone ever regret selling their Evo?-owvdk7r.jpg

Last edited by Napalm_Enema; Feb 18, 2020 at 01:00 PM.
jayevo23 (Feb 20, 2020)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
While the civic type R is a great car... it doesn't replace the EVO, IMO.
As we all already know, the X is old technology from 2007 and still holds its own:

Plus even after all these years, the rear end of a type R is still arguably ugly as sin! -Luckily most Evo owners never have to see it

The following 2 users liked this post by PolloVagabundo:
llllBULLSEYE (Feb 18, 2020), RevMaynard (Feb 18, 2020)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 02:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to Agree The CTR cannot replace the Evo
My best friend owns a Blue CTR we got our cars the same day. He choose the CTR because of the fuel economy
since its his daily driver, but he really wanted an STI or EVO. While his car gets way more attention then mine
for the common onlookers in our opinion its not a very good looking car at all and the lack of AWD is a huge one.
Now that's not to say its not a great car cause it is a great handling Fast car and daily driver comfort is superb
add to that the great gas mileage and you have a winner. I do enjoy driving it when we switch cars.
Still I would take a Evo heck even STi any day over the CTR
RevMaynard (Feb 18, 2020)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Beauty Evo mate. No wonder you miss it; it was a stunner. If this one bit it hard enough to have to scrap it, I’d pay a hefty sum for a proper one to replace it. My peers all drive 911’s, M5’s, Telsa’s, Jags....I roll up in a potent Japanese beast and look back at it every damn day I park it.

Old Feb 18, 2020, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RevMaynard
Beauty Evo mate. No wonder you miss it; it was a stunner. If this one bit it hard enough to have to scrap it, I’d pay a hefty sum for a proper one to replace it. My peers all drive 911’s, M5’s, Telsa’s, Jags....I roll up in a potent Japanese beast and look back at it every damn day I park it.
Thank you kind sir. The car was in exceptional condition. I took care of that thing more than I did myself. Oil changes every 2500 miles and new spark plugs every 5-7k miles.

I parted out and sold it to have more of a cushion having a second baby.

I love how you still look back at yours. For sure a keeper man. I try and look to branch out to other cars but these cars keep pulling me back in.

I have been considering an ATS V. They make great power with a tune, intake and downpipes. About 570-580 to the wheels on pump. They handle really well I see and read. Could be a great alternative.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cloud0307:
Napalm_Enema (Feb 18, 2020), RevMaynard (Feb 18, 2020)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Indeed ticks all of the boxes for me. CTS V’s are beasts in their own right and no slouch on power. Whatever you chose, all the best!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

I definitely don't want to get into a car argument, but unless you've driven - really driven - a Type R you really have no idea what you're missing. Long long LONG time EVO owner- I'm telling you this car is a great step from an EVO.

Enjoy whatever you're driving but the comments above on the Type R are really comical given I own one and push it HARD on the regular.

- Best seats since the recaro's, if not a bit better
- No torquesteer
- Handling - better than an EVO in dry conditions - completely reasonable in wet and then some - it's light and pulls you through turns
- Wonderful power and smooth pull to redline
- 6th gear and great gearing for traffic
- Active dampeners so you can have it smooth for rough areas or all in in R mode
- Optional rev matched downshifting
- Brake hold - makes traffic a breeze
- Car is not sitting at 4000 RPM's at normal highway speeds and LOVES to go hard high end / highway as well as lower
- Great visibility
- Great utility
- Looks better in person than in pictures

When pushed hard this thing is faster through turns than my old EVO(s), and my current Performance Edition M2. It's pretty ****ing amazing tbh and I shouldn't have ever test driven a used one.

But here I am.

I used to talk a bunch of **** about the FWD etc. but they sorted that - ZERO torque steer the thing feels like it's pulling straight and true even through turns.

Happy motoring all!
JDZNate (Feb 20, 2020)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you kind sir. The car was in exceptional condition. I took care of that thing more than I did myself. Oil changes every 2500 miles and new spark plugs every 5-7k miles.

I parted out and sold it to have more of a cushion having a second baby.

I love how you still look back at yours. For sure a keeper man. I try and look to branch out to other cars but these cars keep pulling me back in.

I have been considering an ATS V. They make great power with a tune, intake and downpipes. About 570-580 to the wheels on pump. They handle really well I see and read. Could be a great alternative.
Ha - you're in Garland TX - shoot down to Houston and have a beer with me I'll change your mind in an afternoon lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Napalm_Enema:
Cloud0307 (Feb 19, 2020), RevMaynard (Feb 18, 2020)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 04:43 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
From what I gather, the only thing the CTR gives up to an Evo is AWD. That, in itself, is not enough to sway me one way or the other.
The only reason I'd pick my Evo over a CTR is because I like hanging the rear end out when I take it AutoXing. Getting sideways and the fun it causes is literally the only thing that would keep me of of a CTR.
Also, if I wanted to go full "race car" I'd probably still keep the Evo.
Otherwise Honda it is.
RevMaynard (Feb 18, 2020)
Old Feb 19, 2020, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
The CTR is def a capable car. They are plenty fast on track. Literally the only reason I can't see myself in one are the looks but that is subjective.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
The CTR is def a capable car. They are plenty fast on track. Literally the only reason I can't see myself in one are the looks but that is subjective.
Just take the wing off the back and install it up front for a f-wing. That should pretty it right up! Gray appears to subdue it somewhat.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PolloVagabundo
While the civic type R is a great car... it doesn't replace the EVO, IMO.
As we all already know, the X is old technology from 2007 and still holds its own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1HEsqPtjfs
I made that video. FYI the CTR in that video is an older FK2 model. FK8 (what we got in the US) has clocked high 5's at Tsukuba and are faster than Evo X's or VAB STI's stock vs stock.

Op, I agree with Napalm that you should take a look at a CTR. It puts power down very well for a FWD car and stays amazingly flat through corners. I don't even know how they did it with their stock spring rates (about the same as Evo's). In comparison my X flops around like a dead fish .

Here is a comparison video of an autocross run I made last year. My X on the left, CTR on the right. Both cars were in DS so minimal modifications. You can see my Evo had an edge exiting sweepers with its AWD but he absolutely murdered me at high speed transitions starting from :45, resulting in me losing by .3

That driver (Eric Simmons) was 3rd at nationals last year though so definitely knows how to drive!

zeRep85RA (Feb 21, 2020)

Quick Reply: Anyone ever regret selling their Evo?