Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Idle issue

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idle issue

Hey guys

im positive some people had this same issue as I’m experiencing right now pretty sure it’s been covered but can’t seem to find any on the web or forums

anyways been having this issue ever since i got my car fixed up from a bent rod

broke in my car normally no hard accelerations or anything followed the break in and all

ima cut to the point so my idle will be funny on idle it’ll be at 1k steady for a bit than surge a tiny bit like if it has hiccups it’ll go from 1k to let’s say 700 rpms than bounce between that range let’s say 3 times than goes back to steady 1k and repeat

changed the sparks and had a shop look at it to find what’s the issue they re gapped my plugs to .24 i think ? ( i was tuned by this shop and got rebuilt by them) got told they couldn’t find the issue i told them as well about a issue i have that whenever i full WOT from 3rd to 4th it’ll hesitate 3rd from6-7k rpms it’ll kinda bog but once i hit 4th and go from 5-7k it’ll legit shake the whole damn car and feel like I’m losing power than 5th will smooth out

again sparks are brand new , coil packs are semi newishhh and i keep getting “random misfire code” but never pops up on my dash it’s only stored in the ecu

i recently pour in fuel system cleaner im thinking it could be my fuel injectors are clogged ? Legit feels like when I’m going full wot thru all the gears only 4th seems to have a problem high in the rpms

i was screwing around on my Bluetooth ob2 that has gauges in the app this is what i got info from

spark timing advanced is ranging 8-12 on idle

air fuel commend ratio (i don’t have a real a/f gauge which i should get ASAP) doing a full
wot 3rd pull is .76 from what i remember

Calculated engine load % on idle Is 23-25%

i just disconnected the battery just to make sure my ecu isn’t tripping

i will clean MAF sensor as well tomorrow

what do you guys think ??

mods

ETS CAI

stock intercooler

ETS upper and lower intercooler piping

grim speed 3 port boost solenoid

recirc downpipe or stock ?? Don’t know

HKS dual catback

does have aftermarket injectors but i don’t know what kind fuel pump i don’t know as well

Old Jun 4, 2020, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar, but not as extreme issue. Burbles/rough idle flutters between 950 and 750 without any rhythm, burble continues when holding a higher RPM in neutral.

Compression test #s: 145 to 150 on all cylinders dry, 175-180 wet.
Leak down test: 4%-6% on all cylinders.
Originally had boost leaks, but now all fixed and PCV valve replaced.
Spark plugs all look OK and gapped to OEM spec NGK.

One interesting note: Idle vacuum is at 18inHG at normal operating temperature, however after a few moderate accelerations into boost, the idle vacuum begins to drop. It ends up around 11-12 inHg after some time. Off throttle decel is also lower vacuum (18 inHG vs 23 inHG normally) and the engine braking is not as strong. I don't think its a vacuum leak because when this is happening, ill shut off the car and turn it back on, and vacuum is instantly back to normal. The vacuum drift happens then happens again after a while.

Only thing i haven't checked yet is injectors and coils.

As for the OP, i think we may be in the same realm here and and since you say your coils are newish, my guess is it may be the injectors. Hopefully someone can chime in. Keep me posted on the results after cleaning your MAF.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JDCZEvo
I have a similar, but not as extreme issue. Burbles/rough idle flutters between 950 and 750 without any rhythm, burble continues when holding a higher RPM in neutral.

Compression test #s: 145 to 150 on all cylinders dry, 175-180 wet.
Leak down test: 4%-6% on all cylinders.
Originally had boost leaks, but now all fixed and PCV valve replaced.
Spark plugs all look OK and gapped to OEM spec NGK.

One interesting note: Idle vacuum is at 18inHG at normal operating temperature, however after a few moderate accelerations into boost, the idle vacuum begins to drop. It ends up around 11-12 inHg after some time. Off throttle decel is also lower vacuum (18 inHG vs 23 inHG normally) and the engine braking is not as strong. I don't think its a vacuum leak because when this is happening, ill shut off the car and turn it back on, and vacuum is instantly back to normal. The vacuum drift happens then happens again after a while.

Only thing i haven't checked yet is injectors and coils.

As for the OP, i think we may be in the same realm here and and since you say your coils are newish, my guess is it may be the injectors. Hopefully someone can chime in. Keep me posted on the results after cleaning your MAF.

i haven’t cleaned my MAF yet but the hard reset (disconnecting the battery overnight ) and the fuel system cleaner made my idle slight better i have a feeling it could be my and your injectors idk about the vacuum pressure u mention but the chevron fuel system cleaner honestly made my car slight better will use another bottle when I’m on empty but i will come back to clean my MAF today I’ll keep you updated if the maf did anything
The following users liked this post:
JDCZEvo (Jun 4, 2020)
Old Jun 6, 2020, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your throttle body and plate inside. Clean that as well. Might help your idle issues.
The following users liked this post:
JDCZEvo (Jun 8, 2020)