Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Yet another Idle Issue...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Yet another Idle Issue...

I know there's a billion "rough idle" posts out there, however the issue I'm encountering seems to be more unique.

This began all of the sudden, pretty randomly. Upon initial start it will almost instantly die. It'll crank and then after a second or two it will off itself. Give it a bit of gas, and it'll sound real slow and lopey and range from 0-500 rpm until it eventually offs itself randomly might do that for up to 10 seconds or 5 seconds. I took it to my tuner as I thought that was the issue, however he's saying it has to be mechanical. He unplugged the MAF and it idled and didn't just die right away. No codes being thrown or anything to give us any clues unfortunately. We replaced the MAF and it still had the same issue. My tuner suggested to check for vacuum leak. I replaced all of the vacuum hoses with new lines and made sure everything was clamped on tight, and it still has the bad idle. Very frustrating as coming to complete stops in traffic required you to keep pressing the throttle to keep it from dying. When you're actually driving, it drives perfect! Power feels amazing and nothing out of the ordinary. One very interesting characteristic I found a few times, at idle I revved to 3k and let it drop and randomly idled perfect. I left it on and it kept the idle for 10 minutes, I thought the issue was "magically" resolved! I started it again 30 minutes after I shut it off and to check if it was permanently resolved, and sure enough it was back to its old ways... tried doing it again since and hasn't worked yet.

I am absolutely stumped here, so I'm checking with some other evo owners here to see if any of you have ever seen/heard of anything like this.

Also to be clear, none of the hoses are popped off and dangling. I have heard the Brake Booster might be the culprit for a vacuum leak as well?

Really just don't want to **** money away chasing this problem buying parts that aren't necessary. Looking for advice!

My evo x is pretty modified, I'll include as much as I can think of, but the list is pretty extensive.

Built Block+New Valvetrain 1500 miles on motor. Most of these components are brand new, so I doubt they're faulty.

MAPerformance Tubular Manifold + 02Dump DP

MAPerformance Breather Box Catch can

ETS Race Test Pipe

FullRace Catback Exhaust

GSC S2 Cam

Fuel Labs FPR

ETS Intercooler piping

ETS Intercooler

GTX 3576R Gen 2

Grimspeed 3port BCS

525 Walbro FP

Inline Fuel Filter

FIC 1100 injectors

New Fuel Filter

New Spark Plugs

New Fuel pump relay

New MAF sensor

Plz help.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turns out throttle body was extremely dirty,
Seem to be running great after a good clean.
Glad it was relatively simple!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Wow. Glad it was that simple. How did you go about cleaning it?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for sharing. On the 8/9 cars, cleaning the TB plate causes issues since there is a coating that creates an air tight seal lol. I also had similar idle issues exactly as you described, but in my case it was a bad IAC. If I am not mistaken, the X does not use those anymore? (which is great because they are known to go out pretty often)