Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MAP Catch Can / Coolant reservoir AN fitting issue

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MAP Catch Can / Coolant reservoir AN fitting issue

Has anyone else ran into an issue when installing the MAP catch can and the exhaust side AN fitting is slightly undersized? Mine is able to slide in easily and has no resistance at all. I know my calipers are cheap so not 100% accurate but I measured both the factory and replacement multiple times and the AN was consistently .03 smaller than factory. I have emailed MAP about the issue, I couldn't find any other threads mentioning this issue. Did I just get unlucky?

Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:32 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I just got done installing a ClubSpec catch can on my X and ran into the same issue. Also seemed strange after watching different install videos. The instructions said to use gasket maker (blue). I also emailed them to confirm. I've been driving it for a couple of weeks now and no issues.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by .M.
I just got done installing a ClubSpec catch can on my X and ran into the same issue. Also seemed strange after watching different install videos. The instructions said to use gasket maker (blue). I also emailed them to confirm. I've been driving it for a couple of weeks now and no issues.
Yeah all of the videos and instructions I've found mention hammering the fitting in and no gasket maker. I'll see what MAP come back with.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 01:55 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Carbon13
Yeah all of the videos and instructions I've found mention hammering the fitting in and no gasket maker. I'll see what MAP come back with.
Curious to know what they say. I actually emailed them about some parts couple weeks back and they never got back to me. Anyway... ClubSpec also mentioned it was possible to use JB weld for a permanent install.... I decided to go with the silicone like mentioned above in case I ever decide to go back to stock or a different setup.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by .M.
Curious to know what they say. I actually emailed them about some parts couple weeks back and they never got back to me. Anyway... ClubSpec also mentioned it was possible to use JB weld for a permanent install.... I decided to go with the silicone like mentioned above in case I ever decide to go back to stock or a different setup.
They shipped me out another fitting yesterday, they did mention they check the tolerance at their shop. They said my issue may be related to my valve cover being coated. I'd recommend sending another email, they have always been quick to respond.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:08 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Carbon13
They shipped me out another fitting yesterday, they did mention they check the tolerance at their shop. They said my issue may be related to my valve cover being coated. I'd recommend sending another email, they have always been quick to respond.
My cover is stock (bare). Weird that the same "smaller" size would be sent to both of us from 2 different places. Maybe a bad batch? Anyway... Let me know if the new fitting fits better.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by .M.
My cover is stock (bare). Weird that the same "smaller" size would be sent to both of us from 2 different places. Maybe a bad batch? Anyway... Let me know if the new fitting fits better.
Sorry for the delay, forgot to update this. I received the replacement fitting and it was 9.87 so .07 larger than the original one. It fit perfectly, hammered it in with a rubber mallet as instructed and it's been working fine. Definitely some variance in these fittings.

The following users liked this post:
Lightsaber (Feb 11, 2023)
Old Dec 9, 2022, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 412 Likes on 352 Posts
I'd prefer the loose one then use rtv black (but i stay away from AN fittings)
Old Feb 10, 2023, 06:54 AM

I decided to go with the silicone in case I ever decide to go back to stock or a different setup.

Last edited by mike paner; Feb 12, 2023 at 02:04 AM.