Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Caliper Locks up when hot

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2024, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Evo X Caliper Locks up when hot

So my Evo has been sitting for over a year. Started to work on it again, mostly just oxygen sensors and crank sensors were changed. Drove for over 200 miles so it can be inspection ready and then all of a-sudden when driving around town my breaks starts to stick, then to see if it was them sticking I pressed the breaks hard one time and that was it they were almost completely stuck. I was lucky to be able to pull over into a park, put some water on the rotors to see which one was hot and it was only the right front caliper sticking. I let it cool off, I guess the piston went in and it made my way home. Next day it seemed fine but then again they locked up, my steering wheel began to wobble and it was a pain but I got home. The caliper did get hot to the point where the clear in a small spot began to crack.
Ordered a rebuild kit without the piston cups, replaced all the seals but they looks fine, lightly sanded the piston cups down to make sure there was no burrs. Rebuilt the caliper, cups went in straight and okay, not much trouble. Bleed the caliper and went for a drive and it was fine UNTIL they got hot AGAIN and same caliper got stuck. All the other ones do not. I’m Going to bleed the brakes all the way around tomorrow to see if that’s the issue but has anyone else had this issue? I’d hate to have to buy a new caliper 🥲. I don’t think it’s the brake hoses because I changed them last year to those braided stainless ones but thinking it might be that. Also when the brakes did lock up my ABS light did come on. Hoping it’s not my ABS unit, but it’s only 1 caliper which I find really odd, but again it sat for a year but drove 200 miles fine until it wasn’t.
Thank you in advance for the help!
Old Jul 23, 2024, 08:11 AM

Update: Changed caliper that was locking up with another lower mileage one, everything moved freely and well on the replacement one, threw it on, bleed that caliper, now ABS light is on and from what I checked, front and now rear passanger side calipers are locked 😭 wondering if it’s my ABS unit…. Going to bleed all the calipers in the correct order… maybe I just some air still in the system?
Old Jul 23, 2024, 08:40 AM

Update: okay, bleed calipers in their correct order from what the manual says and ABS LIGHT IS OFF! And the caliper unstuck! Going for test drive soon. Also Fun fact, the ABS sensors on the evo X’s are the same as lancers and outlanders.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jennisandoval:
Jahtoot_Evo (Jul 23, 2024), Lightsaber (Aug 9, 2024)
Old Jul 23, 2024, 08:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for updating you problem and solution !
The following users liked this post:
RobbieOh (Jul 23, 2024)
Old Jul 23, 2024, 09:19 AM

Unfortunately it’s still sticking ☹️ , we do have a theory. We changed the clutch master cylinder awhile back, the reservoir did run empty twice since I had to do it twice (I messed up the first try) maybe there’s air in the ABS unit and is just effecting that line?it’s definitely a huge bummer but, I just have to figure out what to try from here. Will definitely keep updating so if this happens to someone else they can maybe fix this faster than me right now 🥲
Old Jul 23, 2024, 09:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Bummer ! Hopefully you get it sorted !
Old Jul 23, 2024, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
Does the ABS pump require a MUTIII or equivalent to air bleed?
Old Jul 26, 2024, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be a collapsed brake hose. You can try taking off the hose of the caliper you think is stuck and see if the brake fluid drips slower than the opposite side.
Old Aug 5, 2024, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by RobbieOh
not sure, I toke some time off working on it because I needed the mental break lol it’s been a month of this. So what I also realized is that I did change the master clutch cylinder and then let the car sit for a bit since I needed to change crank sensor and both O2s (Evo sat for a year) and I did take of the brake master cylinder to get in there and I’m wondering if maybe I have to bench bleed the brake master cylinder which I really don’t want to. But I might have to. As for ABS, not sure if In this car I can bleed the ABS pump but I’m definitely going to check! Would be wayyy nicer than taking off the break master… it’s going to rain all week so might have to do it next week. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Jennisandoval; Aug 5, 2024 at 09:20 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2024, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Grtbearded1
Could be a collapsed brake hose. You can try taking off the hose of the caliper you think is stuck and see if the brake fluid drips slower than the opposite side.
definitely will try! I did install last year braided brake hoses and I only one at a time check to see if fluid dripped out of the hoses but never thought about the speed! Thanks for the advice! I hope it is that so it’ll be an easy fix but 🤷🏻‍♀️ so far everything’s been a pain. It drove fine for about 150 miles and then out of no where the passenger caliper began to stick. Thanks again for commenting! I’ll keep updating this post as I go
Old Aug 5, 2024, 09:43 AM

im actually considering buying a Motive Power Bleeder, saw in another post it’s hard to get air out of the ABS pump once it’s in there but that this power bleeder might help! Might just order one and see, it’s only $50 on Amazon, I’ve already spent quite a lot on another set of front calipers, fluid and some new tools 🫠
Old Aug 5, 2024, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Found this in the service manual. Doesn't look like there is anything special needed and using a MUT for ABS unit is not required.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Evo MC Bleeding.pdf (145.6 KB, 0 views)
Old Aug 5, 2024, 01:41 PM

wow thank you for the photo though! I appreciate the help! Yeah I might get that Motive Power Bleeder just for fun and see, someone else on here who couldn’t get the air all the way out of their system no matter what they did. Then they got this item and their issue was resolved. Fingers crossed!

Found this in the service manual. Doesn't look like there is anything special needed and using a MUT for ABS unit is not required.
Old Aug 5, 2024, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

I bought the Pittsburgh Harbor Freight special bleeder assist that connects to your compressor to pull a vacuum on the lines, definitely makes it much easier and a 1 person job, no issue bleeding.