Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Getting a tune is this shop taking me for a ride?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2024, 02:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 441 Likes on 376 Posts
Originally Posted by HoodieWeather
Just want to get the light off and to go back and fourth from work.
what light is this? I have turned off some codes since I got so tired of them
Old Jul 31, 2024, 03:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh my. What a shame.

from my experience these cars run superb when dealt with correctly. It’s short hand work that leads to headaches.

the longer I’m in the evolution game, the closer I’m coming to my tools and I’ll wait an eternity for moonperformance to get to my car if it’s beyond my wannabe mechanic skills.

hard to find thorough honest shops now a days!
Old Jul 31, 2024, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jahtoot_Evo
Oh my. What a shame.

from my experience these cars run superb when dealt with correctly. It’s short hand work that leads to headaches.

the longer I’m in the evolution game, the closer I’m coming to my tools and I’ll wait an eternity for moonperformance to get to my car if it’s beyond my wannabe mechanic skills.

hard to find thorough honest shops now a days!
That's my life story. They dont understand autocross is not some 2x a year shootout. Power requirements is not near the redline(I dont mean Kozmic here). so on and so forth.
earlier I showed support to these shops, waited for my appt & dropped off my car . i do my own transmission swaps(and other work) now, its just the faster option and nobody treating you like some 'lowly layman'. and consistently damaging paint like you wont notice(I dont mean Kozmic here, they showed me their damage lol).
The following users liked this post:
Jahtoot_Evo (Jul 31, 2024)
Old Jul 31, 2024, 05:31 PM

Dang. I’d love to autocross, just don’t think I’m at that stage yet.

My goals for both my evo’s are similar to OPs.

Reliable fun street setup.

I just get a kick out of driving my evo to the local store down the road, or take the kiddos to school lol.

HoodieWeather (Jul 31, 2024)
Old Jul 31, 2024, 07:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
what light is this? I have turned off some codes since I got so tired of them
service engine soon, cause I dropped in an AMS downpipe before I left CT to come to TX.
because I had a friend tell me that the spring bolts were coming out of the OEM downpipe, come to find out when I had my car into the dealer to replace the turbo, they used a smaller bolt. that's why it looked like it was coming out. Also, they broke my O2 sensor, so my friend had to go pick one up.

The light never came on while driving south, till I stayed over in LA. As you can see by the images that's why my boy and I did the downpipe, I'm running the stock CAT still.
I have a friend who works for Mazda so he did my oil change and looked over things and that was one of the things he noticed was them bolts, so I said ****!! I've wanted a downpipe, so I figured I mind as well get one put in, COBB is like an hour away, I guess they don't anything at their shop but told me to go to this site and find someone around me and within the state of Texas.

So I'm here now, just asking if I'm going to be spending way to much, and If I'm taking advantage of. Just want a basic simple tune., Thats why I hit up chag, but dude don't seem interested after the only message he wrote me. But I'm sure he's busy!

Old Jul 31, 2024, 07:15 PM

If your still running stock cat I believe you can use Cobb AP? Check with cobb on that tho.

the issue with remote tuning, is mechanical issues may arise. Then the remote tune session is worthless.

Old Jul 31, 2024, 07:26 PM
EvoM Guru

well you need to read the OBD2 code so you can search the forums. most evo guys start from full stock to minor minor mods and may encounter issues along the way. I remember I got errors from upgrading my exhaust where that beech rear o2 sensor didnt agree. the Tephra thing has a section to ignore that error. it also has tables where you can set which codes you want turned off. I had another error ("too lean, "sorry forgot the number), it wont show up the first time you start the car, but will on the 2nd time. I had a bit of trouble getting the car inspected back then.
just pass it this year, then no more inspection from 2025
Old Jul 31, 2024, 07:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jahtoot_Evo
Dang. I’d love to autocross, just don’t think I’m at that stage yet.

My goals for both my evo’s are similar to OPs.

Reliable fun street setup.

I just get a kick out of driving my evo to the local store down the road, or take the kiddos to school lol.
you should go and beat some cars and feel even better owning that car. people love evos still up and about, not poor sap drag racer evos
I'm not consistently on top. my prime was maybe around 2017-19, now i'm just not keeping up with the times and honestly getting a seriously old, but I still go when i can. I also want to get to the nationals. I didnt see many ct9a evos in TX and I completely missed the time when evos where everywhere (i was back in NYC) ... the nats is the best place to see them and everything else in action. I just hope my car cooperates this year lol
Jahtoot_Evo (Jul 31, 2024)
Old Jul 31, 2024, 08:48 PM

Nice !

yea my 9MR engine is being built after 168k miles on stock block. I purchased with 145k miles knowing the compression was off and a rebuild had to be done. I am staying stock frame turbo HTA71. I’m not power hungry drag guy. I jus appreciate the car for how it turns and accelerates. The head will remain stock as well.

My evo x se I got recently I plan to do jus tbe and a tune. The tranny was already built by jacks so I think the worse is over with the SST.

if I plan to autocross one day it definitely will be the 9. However I need to invest quite a bit into the suspension and handling as everything is still stock form.

but your totally right, you don’t see many evo’s doing daily drives. I am one of the few left that tries to daily my evo’s lol. I’m hoping the 9 after rebuilt will be solid to daily as well.
ViciousLSD (Aug 1, 2024)
Old Jul 31, 2024, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 142 Likes on 127 Posts
Bro, take that SE out the AutoX, I'm bolt ons and stock suspension 10MR (minus an upgraded rear sway bar). I'm always 1/2 in STU and always top 20pax. Once these coil-overs arrive in September, it's over for these hoes.
The following 2 users liked this post by RobbieOh:
Jahtoot_Evo (Jul 31, 2024), ViciousLSD (Aug 1, 2024)
Old Jul 31, 2024, 09:44 PM

🧐 interesting!

I’ll make a post on her. so you can see where she is at. don’t want to hijacker op thread.
RobbieOh (Aug 1, 2024)
Old Aug 1, 2024, 05:33 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
I paid ~$700 for a base tune last fall. I remember you could get tuned by the best guy in your region for like $300, 15 years ago. Quality serious lacks today from most shops, like we won't notice.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kevin.:
Jahtoot_Evo (Aug 1, 2024), RobbieOh (Aug 1, 2024), rustykan (Aug 1, 2024), ViciousLSD (Aug 1, 2024)
Old Aug 1, 2024, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RobbieOh
Bro, take that SE out the AutoX, I'm bolt ons and stock suspension 10MR (minus an upgraded rear sway bar). I'm always 1/2 in STU and always top 20pax. Once these coil-overs arrive in September, it's over for these hoes.
to the spectators, fastest 4 door lol
RobbieOh (Aug 1, 2024)
Old Aug 7, 2024, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the 'service engine soon' light went off for around 3 days last week and then it came back on. So I'm unsure if it's a loose wire, or something random. Heres the codes. I cleared the codes yesterday and it's been off. Since I'm talking about it, I'm sure the light will pop back on.
Is anyone down for some pro bono work haha. Keep in mind my buddy went to pick this up, since the store at the time didn't have anything

Bosch 15730 Premium Universal Fit Oxygen Sensor.

Old Aug 8, 2024, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 142 Likes on 127 Posts
P0134 troubleshooting is 13A-220 in the FSM
P2195 troubleshooting is 13A-704 in the FSM

Have you gone through these workflows?

Quick Reply: Getting a tune is this shop taking me for a ride?