Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Getting a tune is this shop taking me for a ride?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2024, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting a tune is this shop taking me for a ride?

I just moved to the San Antonio area, looking to get my car tuned

Is this a good price or they are just wanting more money out of me?

Here is what I have installed
KS Hi-Power Dual Exhaust System
AMS Widemouth Downpipe
ETS Intake
Torque Solution Rear Adjustable Control Arms
Whiteline Adjustable Heavy Duty Rear Sway Bar End Links
Torque Solution Adjustable Rear Toe Arms
Mitsubishi OEM Aluminum Valve Cover
I have the OEM cat installed still.

I will pick up a Grimspeed boost controller.

Should I go with someone else?

Thank You.

From https://www.kozmicmotorsports.com/

Old Jul 30, 2024, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
That's from Kozmic? They are legit, they build the best SST trans too. I don't think a walbro and injectors are necessary, unless going e85, are you? I mean I'm tuned on boltons making 360/370whp/wtq with all factory fueling and pump 93, stock turbo.

Also, shouldn't a 2011 get DILKR8E6 plugs?
The following users liked this post:
Jahtoot_Evo (Jul 30, 2024)
Old Jul 30, 2024, 07:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Kozmic is reputable.

I think they are suggesting fuel upgrades so you don’t double dip on the tuning for your setup.

fuel pump and injectors may not be necessary if your not trying to max out your setup. But then again upgrading that allows for a better tune I think.

All good recommendations tho if you can afford it. Do it right once. Or pay twice they say.

750 for a tune is a little pricey. I’m used to 500$ but if your car is SST 750$ is market price.

however Kozmic is very reputable. You’re in good hands. From my experience that’s way more important than cost.
Old Jul 30, 2024, 07:42 PM

Hey, thanks for the response. Yes, that is from Kozmic, he came back and dropped the price to $1,832.22 and some change now. I'm just on 93 and want to keep being on 93 right now. I just want to fix the 'service engine soon' light that is on, cause of the AMS downpipe that is installed. I don't want major power or anything just yet, just want to get this small inconvenience fixed first.
I'm honestly unsure if I do need bigger injectors right now. I just want a simple plain jane tune to take care of my issue, and I use NGK plugs. I don't know what
DILKR8E6 is?

No I don't want to be on E85 right now that is. Later on yea.

When I told him I have the ETS intake installed already. He didn't get back to me with an updated invoice. I did email Chag, he got back to me once, and that's it.
https://www.chagtuned.com/ Said I found him through Devin Niemela. But I guess he doesn't want my business that's why I went out searching around the San Antonio area.

https://jmstuning.net/ got at me and said 1k to get it done.

Old Jul 30, 2024, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

DILKs are the newer NGK plugs for the 10. So, if you are just looking to efficiently run your setup, I would talk to him about staying stock fuel, personally it's one less thing to be aftermarket and be a problem area as well as keeping the bill lower overall. But, that should be a more direct conversation you have with Kozmic, maybe over the phone. Especially since you don't want e85.

https://www.evoxforums.com/threads/d...ilkr8e6.67545/

Also, the inspection cost and tune cost, are well within reason. I paid $800 here in Orlando for a full day of dyno tuning.
Old Jul 30, 2024, 09:31 PM

I guess my tune is pre Covid. Everything is up now a days 🥲
Old Jul 30, 2024, 09:49 PM

Thank you sir.
Old Jul 31, 2024, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jahtoot_Evo
I guess my tune is pre Covid. Everything is up now a days 🥲
There are still deals out there, Chet Rickerman quoted me $300 for an e-tune or whatever, where I do pulls/logging and send it to him, but I just haven't made the changes to need it, going back to factory wastegate for class legality in STU.
Jahtoot_Evo (Jul 31, 2024)
Old Jul 31, 2024, 07:37 AM

Thank you, yeah I think I need an AccessPort to send over the data to said person.
I drive for a living, I have a CDL-B license, and I don't want to get busted haha. That's why I wouldn't mind going to someone who will do pulls for me haha, but I know that won't happen.
I'll look into this guy thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2024, 07:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 438 Likes on 373 Posts
Pre-dyno inspection : you pay for them to find something else to work on in the future you'll get a nice report with pictures too. hard to stomach since I already tech my own car, and know the condition of the brakes, tires, suspension parts, and I can do most of the work
I got my last tune there. was ok, not too happy, not overly disappointed either (Beryl week so thats part of it)
The following 2 users liked this post by ViciousLSD:
Jahtoot_Evo (Jul 31, 2024), Kevin. (Jul 31, 2024)
Old Jul 31, 2024, 10:41 AM

thanks for he info, why not too happy?

just got this in my email.

Old Jul 31, 2024, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by HoodieWeather
thanks for he info, why not too happy?
Well
1) when I agreed on the initial quote(swallowed) I had no doubt they will give me the best SD tune, & fixing my AC/idling/drivability issues as a priority. They blamed several parts/engine condition/spent most of the time, gave up so I researched on evoms and forwarded the link. it was ignored. They had a backlog so time was up for me. I took the car home idling at 2k and still dying with AC on. 1hr with traffic going home with no AC. I applied the simple fix from evoms and it worked. i tried to call them to let them know but call was not returned. Now i'm doubting if their most knowledgeable guy worked on my car.
2) I wanted to compare my old Kozmic MAP vs Kozmic SD tunes+ minor mods, but brownouts from Beryl made them dyno my car in a different shop(not their fault). The dynosheets are incomparable IMO although the car felt the same(in a good way). The new dynosheet doesnt look right, this shows 'it got worse' if you're an autocrosser since power came 1k later. I will need to schedule another appt to get the result i want on the same exact dyno, and hopefully them showing the low end improvements if any
the tune was improved but to me I didnt get my moneys worth.
Old Jul 31, 2024, 12:53 PM

Yea a lot of good knowledge on these forums.

that doesn’t sound like the best experience. Normally I leave with a big smile after tuning.
isn’t that the point? Lol
ViciousLSD (Jul 31, 2024)
Old Jul 31, 2024, 02:47 PM

Damn, son.. Makes me want to go there even more now and blow that money I need to collect, well save up for.
Might go with dialedinnbyJT a little bit more reasonably. I just moved and it's been an expensive move, bringing what I could in my EVO, and then going out and buying stuff.

I still think some of the stuff he added is not necessary. It's already an expensive platform, and I'm coming from a MazdaSpeed 3 platform. I honestly think I'm done with what I want to do. So putting in bigger injectors and or a fuel pump doesn't seem wild for me to do so. I'm sure a tune on the car with what I have and on 93 is just fine for me, I'm not out there racing for pinks. Just want to get the light off and to go back and fourth from work.
Old Jul 31, 2024, 02:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jahtoot_Evo
Yea a lot of good knowledge on these forums.

that doesn’t sound like the best experience. Normally I leave with a big smile after tuning.
isn’t that the point? Lol
They cranked out the BISS and called it a day - this is probably the most disappointing to me . anyway, they posted on their FB page a pic of my car on the dyno claiming i was a happy customer

Quick Reply: Getting a tune is this shop taking me for a ride?