Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Boost Gauge and MBC install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008 | 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

where did you get power for boost gauge light?
Old Mar 1, 2008 | 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

an electrical tap for illumination would be great. thanks
Old Mar 1, 2008 | 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice write up on a GREAT mod! Nice to have a community like this that is still willing to help another member out!
Old Mar 2, 2008 | 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

I dont have power ran to mine yet since i didnt have it mounted but you have to simple options 1. you can run fused link from either of your fuseboxes one under the hood and the other is under the Left side of the dash. I usually track down my headlight or dash light wire and tap into that so it will come on when you turn your lights on. I did find my mount so i may get to the wiring this week.
Old Mar 2, 2008 | 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mksevo
I dont have power ran to mine yet since i didnt have it mounted but you have to simple options 1. you can run fused link from either of your fuseboxes one under the hood and the other is under the Left side of the dash. I usually track down my headlight or dash light wire and tap into that so it will come on when you turn your lights on. I did find my mount so i may get to the wiring this week.
how to ftw!
Old Mar 10, 2008 | 06:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Where are you guys going through the firewall?
Old Mar 14, 2008 | 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

how about a picture of where you placed the boost gauge?
Old Mar 14, 2008 | 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

how pics of wiring options
Old Mar 14, 2008 | 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Where are you guys going through the firewall?
If you look into your engine compartment, there is a small 1" plug all the way to the left of the engine bay (passenger side).... its tucked pretty far down there, but can be easily reached by hand...

The hard part is poking through the inside insulation behind your glovebox, but its right smack behind the sirius sat module....
Old Mar 16, 2008 | 05:05 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 24, 2008 | 12:32 PM

Ok, i am very confused. You installed your MBC much different than I. Is it working? Are you having any problems? Let me explain:

If you look behind your engine, you will see a vacuum line running from the pipe attached to your turbo. This pipe goes to the intercooler, so the hose running off of it should be a pressure line. This hose goes to the wastegate, with a T running off towards the two electronic boost controllers. Each boost controller also has a hose with white lines on it, which runs to the air intake. Since it's running to the air intake, this line is NOT pressurized. In fact, it probably vents air TO the intake. I THINK that the electronic boost controller regulates boost by opening up a valve, which vents off air back into the intake system, making the turbo spool more to increase boost.

From your writeup, it sounds like you connected the black pressurized wastegate line, and the striped unpressurized intake line to your MBC. Depending on which way the MBC is hooked up you've either plugged this end off, which effectively eliminates the stock boost controllers, or your venting pressure to the intake (just like the stock one does). If you are able to adjust your boost (and i'm assuming you are) then its the second option and your setup works by slightly depressurizing the boost signal line running to the wastegate.

This is NOT how i understood most mechanical boost controllers are meant to work. They are designed to function "in-line". The input should be a pressurized line, and the output should go to the wastegate (not venting to the atmostphere).

I hooked up my MBC differently than you, and after disconnecting the electronic boost controllers, it works perfectly. I installed it on the pressure line, between the turbo and the plastic T. Since i installed it at the source of the boost signal, adjusting the MBC should adjust the boost seen by the entire system. However, I had to unplug the wiring harness attached to the two electronic boost controllers. if i didn't, i would get 25+ psi, even with the MBC on its lowest setting. Once i unplugged the EBC it worked perfectly for about 10 min, then the service engine light came on. I think i've figured out how to fix this though. I'm going try plugging the end of the hose going to the intake, and leave the electronic boost controllers plugged in. This will make them unable to vent air to the intake, hence they won't affect the boost levels.

However, if other people have had success using the OP's method, please say so and I will just install it the way he did.
Old Mar 24, 2008 | 01:24 PM

here is a quick picture to illustrate the differences in how the OP wired his MBC, and how i did.
Attached Thumbnails Boost Gauge and MBC install-evox-boost-lines.jpg  
Old Mar 24, 2008 | 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by qubit
Ok, i am very confused. You installed your MBC much different than I. Is it working? Are you having any problems? Let me explain:

If you look behind your engine, you will see a vacuum line running from the pipe attached to your turbo. This pipe goes to the intercooler, so the hose running off of it should be a pressure line. This hose goes to the wastegate, with a T running off towards the two electronic boost controllers. Each boost controller also has a hose with white lines on it, which runs to the air intake. Since it's running to the air intake, this line is NOT pressurized. In fact, it probably vents air TO the intake. I THINK that the electronic boost controller regulates boost by opening up a valve, which vents off air back into the intake system, making the turbo spool more to increase boost.

From your writeup, it sounds like you connected the black pressurized wastegate line, and the striped unpressurized intake line to your MBC. Depending on which way the MBC is hooked up you've either plugged this end off, which effectively eliminates the stock boost controllers, or your venting pressure to the intake (just like the stock one does). If you are able to adjust your boost (and i'm assuming you are) then its the second option and your setup works by slightly depressurizing the boost signal line running to the wastegate.

This is NOT how i understood most mechanical boost controllers are meant to work. They are designed to function "in-line". The input should be a pressurized line, and the output should go to the wastegate (not venting to the atmostphere).

I hooked up my MBC differently than you, and after disconnecting the electronic boost controllers, it works perfectly. I installed it on the pressure line, between the turbo and the plastic T. Since i installed it at the source of the boost signal, adjusting the MBC should adjust the boost seen by the entire system. However, I had to unplug the wiring harness attached to the two electronic boost controllers. if i didn't, i would get 25+ psi, even with the MBC on its lowest setting. Once i unplugged the EBC it worked perfectly for about 10 min, then the service engine light came on. I think i've figured out how to fix this though. I'm going try plugging the end of the hose going to the intake, and leave the electronic boost controllers plugged in. This will make them unable to vent air to the intake, hence they won't affect the boost levels.

However, if other people have had success using the OP's method, please say so and I will just install it the way he did.
can we get this guy to write the writeup instead?
Old Mar 24, 2008 | 06:39 PM

Ok i have found what i believe to be a much simpler installation.

Just unplug the hose where it connects to the wastegate. plug that hose onto the intake on your mbc. (some mbc's refer to this as the "turbo" side) take an additional hose and plug it from the output of your mbc (or wastegate side) to the wastegate.

Doing it this way means you don't have to unplug the electronic boost controllers. They see a normal signal, and only the wastegate is adjusted with the mbc.
Old Mar 24, 2008 | 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by qubit
Ok i have found what i believe to be a much simpler installation.

Just unplug the hose where it connects to the wastegate. plug that hose onto the intake on your mbc. (some mbc's refer to this as the "turbo" side) take an additional hose and plug it from the output of your mbc (or wastegate side) to the wastegate.

Doing it this way means you don't have to unplug the electronic boost controllers. They see a normal signal, and only the wastegate is adjusted with the mbc.
lol

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge and MBC install