Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Boost Gauge and MBC install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2008 | 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Boost Gauge and MBC install

Ok for those who are ready now here is a quick guide to install , I will post more pics and details later but if you can pull off hoses and put hoses on then you can do this job. level 3/10.

First pic is what you are looking for in the engine bay. it is towards the back just Right and behind the airfilter intake.
Attached Thumbnails Boost Gauge and MBC install-mbc1a.jpg  

Last edited by mksevo; Feb 24, 2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

The 2 hoses you need are then split by a splitter going into the 2 electronic Boost controlers. they are color coded. the Waste gate hose is solid black and you intake hose has White stripes that almost look like arrows. see below.
Attached Thumbnails Boost Gauge and MBC install-mbc1.jpg  
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a look at the Electronic controllers.
Attached Thumbnails Boost Gauge and MBC install-mbc2.jpg  
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

OK . now the Hard part. take your Boost contoler it has two inlets, connect the solid black hose to you wastegate port, Just slip the hose clamp back and connect . these hose are small and you may want some plastic hose adapter to transition from the car to your boost contoler. then connect the white striped hose to your intake port on your MBC. you can leave the electronic contols unhooked for now. attach you MBC either to the SHock tower brace or some other point to hold it up where you can adjust this. More pics to follow but this is the Meat.
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

The Boost gauge install is easier. here is the port on your intake manifold, just splice in here with a plastic Y fitting and attach you boost gauge to the Free end.
Attached Thumbnails Boost Gauge and MBC install-mbc3.jpg  
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

I used a ams mbc, it supplied to vac. lines 1 goes to the wastegate and the 2 line goes to a T put on the line from the intake to blowoff valve. my cel came on now what?
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

only suggestion, if you didnt T off of your Electronic boost controlers it maybe reading the error, this happened to me once. if you reinstall your lines back to your electronic controlers and drive it a few times it should go away. you will probably need to keep some lines going to your electronic boost control just put the MBC in front of it so it controls the waste gate. or call AMS they should be able to tell you what is wrong with your setup.
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Do you face any interference issues with the T for the aftermarket vs the stock unit. I know that if the stock unit isn't getting a reference of pressure vs RPM it will throw a code but how is that avoided without facing interference issues between the aftermarket boost controler and the stock unit?
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

good points but right now we dont know enough about the ECU to say. just have to wait and see. the T should give your controls some information vs none. and able to leave them connected.
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

post pics of ur boost gauge installed in the car. id like to see where u put it.
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Currently I have it sitting inside a coozie over in the Far right corner its a good spot but I havent decide on the official location or mounting method. I probably will go low on the A pillar
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

post some pics once u get it installed
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 07:35 PM

no no on the a-pillar. you have an airbag there.
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

it will attach to the out side of the appillar low to the bottom , seems it would be more visible in that location and far way from any airback unless your trying to out thru the front windshield. should have no effect on the airbag or its function.
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Good write up man!

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge and MBC install