Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

mounting the license plate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
Found it

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

Super Magnet #31. Pull force is 175 lbs. I bet if I mounted that behind the bumper and mounted a steel plate to my license plate, then covered it with felt, I could stick my plate to it and then take it off and it would never fall off.

PS: check out #33, says pull force of 800 lbs. WHOA!!!
I know getting excited over some magnets is silly and nerdy...but damn..those are some sick magnets!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
Need to mail $25 within a week its rediculous all i can say is i was at the wrong place t wrong time
same here man, got mine friday it's $20 and I get 10 days. it blows. he got me for front tints too.... another 20
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

my no front plate fine me $80. An excuse I used one time at the airport was that I just got my bumper painted and the body shop recommends leaving the front plates off a few days so the paint would dry. It worked the 1st time...
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm. I'd go with suction cups.

Use larger ones and lick them before you stick them on.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
Found it

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

Super Magnet #31. Pull force is 175 lbs. I bet if I mounted that behind the bumper and mounted a steel plate to my license plate, then covered it with felt, I could stick my plate to it and then take it off and it would never fall off.

PS: check out #33, says pull force of 800 lbs. WHOA!!!
I wonder if magnets that strong would cause any interference with electronic components in the car already or installed later (i.e EBC, HKS Camp2, etc)? If it doesnt then this would be ideal.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see it as a convenience charge and not a ticket. Although if you get it while driving its a mover. Tickets while parked in the city are not though.

Last edited by junction; Apr 7, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jblade
I wonder if magnets that strong would cause any interference with electronic components in the car already or installed later (i.e EBC, HKS Camp2, etc)? If it doesnt then this would be ideal.

I doubt the one I'm interested in would effect anything that far away from it. The closest thing it will be near is the horn. I feel like anything over 12 inches away shouldnt be effected. Maybe I should get a slightly weaker one though to be safe?

-Steve
Old Apr 7, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

I know Nevada law states if you have drilled holes or mounts for a plate on your front bumper you have to have it. If you have no place to mount it, either from the manufaturer or through after market modding, you do not need a plate. A lot of people keep the plate in the front windshield and the one on the back. I just have my back one and keep my spare plate under the seat
Old Apr 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Im in Va and mine came already drilled in. Im already tired of the "Man that plate bracket has gotta go!". Well guess what, it can't. I found out what running without a front plate gets you one day while driving my GFs M3
Old Apr 8, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
would these magnets work on the curvature of the car, under the headlights, where the brackets have typically been installed? or, are you guys thinking of attaching (screwing) the license plate to the plate holder & putting magnets on the plate holder & behind the bumper?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

^ I'm not sure anyone has come out and said "I'm going to try this" so who knows. I'm kind of patiently waiting because I'm not going to get my X until later in the year anyways. Somebody will have figured it out by then hopefully
Old Apr 8, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ I know that no one has done it yet, but I'm wondering what would probably work best.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

i would just put the bracket on (yes drill it) then put the k40 setup on or something along those lines for added securtiy
Old Apr 8, 2008, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a petition in Va about getting rid of the front license plate all together
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

i'm thinking about mounting the magnet behind the bumper, whether with a high strength glue or something similar, then mounting a steel plate to the alum plate we have in ny. Then I'd glue some felt, or fleece to the steel plate and in essence I should be able to just go up to the front bumper and stick the plate to it. Then if I park somewhere I should be able to just pull it off with a lil muscle power. Now obviously it wouldnt be something i took off every single time i parked the car, but if I go to an evo meet, or something similar, I can take it off, have no holes, and pop it right back for the law

no i'm wondering if it would effect the HID ballast or anything if I mounted it under the driver headlight.

I have an extra ballast if anything but still

Quick Reply: mounting the license plate