Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

installing AMS Exhaust and test pipe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing AMS Exhaust and test pipe

Hey guys... as the title says.. I literally have no idea where to start on installing my new exhaust.

I recently purchased my AMS cat-back single tip exhaust, as well as the test pipe. Now i have it sitting in my garage and I dont want to wait any longer to put it on!

So my question is.. is there any sort of DIY or how-to guide on installing an exhaust and test pipe?

my buddy tells me its really easy cause its all bolt-on...i know it is...but he's a mechanic so easy to him is prolly hard to a guy like me.

Anyways i saw a how-to on the ETS exhaust install...is this my best bet? Everything seems to make sense on the how-to except the hanging of the exhaust part.

Also... the test pipe... what do i need to do exactly to get it off and put it on?

Lastly... will i be getting a CEL? do i need to unplug any wiring or anything like that?

thanks guys! any and all help is welcome, this is my very first car that i have ever truly worked on, and i would love to make sure i dont mess up! ( i dont want to pay anybody to do it.. i want to learn)

-Ervin
Old Mar 31, 2009, 05:46 AM

You're in the right forum section to help get info. In the last few days I've come across several threads related to replacing the exhaust and the PITA it is to take off the cat!

Actually putting the exhaust on my Evo was one of the easiest that I've done since it only takes a few bolts to bring it down. The toughest part was getting the rusty bolts off, and the only rusty ones that you really need to be concerned with are the 2 that connect the down pipe to the cat.

You'll also need to put a spark plug fouler on the o2 sensor so you don't throw a code (lots of info out there to do it since it's a universal fix). Easy to make or just buy.

Just do a little searching on this forum and you'll find your answers. If you still have any questions after that, let me know!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:04 PM

If you have any problems with rusted bolts or even stuck bolts, pick up a bottle of PB blaster. If you don't have power tools, grab a breaker bar.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the helping info guys!

so far i have the car raised on the jackstands... i want to raise it... but im scared! hahaha

anyways, ill let you guys know if i need more help.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 03:20 PM

sup man, as far as the install it should be pretty straight forward, use some lube for the exhaust hangers so itll slide in nice and easy... , im lookin to buy this exhaust also would be sweet if you have some pics from behind and sides, vids/sound would be sweet too. Good luck bro
Old Apr 3, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WickedX1
sup man, as far as the install it should be pretty straight forward, use some lube for the exhaust hangers so itll slide in nice and easy... , im lookin to buy this exhaust also would be sweet if you have some pics from behind and sides, vids/sound would be sweet too. Good luck bro
Hey yeah.. me and my buddy did the entire install in about 1 hour after we already had the car up.

Overall it was pretty much a cakewalk.. the only hard part was getting the original exhaust off (the hangers were stiff and dry)... wd40 helped a lot... when it came to the actualy cat removal, we just disconnected the entire 02 sensor. The bolts on the cat were the hardest to take off... just get enough leverage and should pop off...

the car is soo much smoother, and the sound is incredible... i will post pics up when i get my car later (my g/f has it)
Old Apr 5, 2009, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo4Emperor
the only hard part was getting the original exhaust off (the hangers were stiff and dry)... wd40 helped a lot...
Ordinary soap and water works just as well. You want to avoid WD40 on the rubber parts.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
Ordinary soap and water works just as well. You want to avoid WD40 on the rubber parts.
+1

WD40 will dry out rubber once it evaporates.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

a test pipe in ca? you got *****.

i used wd40, worked pretty well. it's all bolt-on, everything in plain sight.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:58 AM
Account Disabled

Use PB Blaster and that bish will take soo many things apart. If you don't got any sort of power tools, just use regular hand tools and you'll be good and to even make it easier if you just only have hand tools, find a mini breaker bar and that will also help you out alot.
For the Test Pipe, you're gonna be stinky since it' a straight 3" nothing in the way! And if you were wanting to pass emissions, AHH...good luck! :X And i think you're "Service Check Engine" light will come one also.
And installing a full turboback should be super easy, it's ALL bolts, nothing hard at all. If you can/want, just install it piece by piece and what i mean by that is, install the catback first, then mid-pipe, then test pipe, & then down pipe. It will take a little more time, but you'll make sure everything should/will be tighten.
Best of luck to you mang! [:
Old May 13, 2009, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Do you pics of it installed yet?
Old May 14, 2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Domolution
Use PB Blaster and that bish will take soo many things apart.
Peanut Butter Blaster...never heard of it

haha just kidding
Old May 22, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

PB Blaster ... why does that make me hungry?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
exhaust bolts

AeroKroil is so far the best product I have found for freeing up corroded harware, be it in an exhaust system, or galled up stainless, like you would find in an O2 sensor intallation. It is primarily an aviation industry product, but you should be able to find it in an auto or marine supply if you look hard enough. Google it and you can get it direct from the manufacturer via the web.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Did anyone put one of those o2 eliminator when using the test pipe.I don't know if it will throw a
check engine light for not using one.

Quick Reply: installing AMS Exhaust and test pipe