Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

AMS EVO X O2 Eliminator 3.0" Downpipe Installation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I removed two heat shields from the under side so that I could get a box wrench on the bottom heat shield bolt. Tedious, but once those were off, I had plenty of room. One of the heat shields was 'blind' in how to put it back on due to the view of the bolt holes being blocked from the shape of the shield itself, but that was the only item that really required a second person. Everything else I did solo and had it all R&R'd in less than 7 hours total time, TB and CBE. Just get those shields outta your way.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

All the shields are off. The one nut opposite all the other ones is the problem... We will be working on it shortly. Fingers crossed!!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo4Emperor
All the shields are off. The one nut opposite all the other ones is the problem... We will be working on it shortly. Fingers crossed!!
keep at it; I monkeyed around a few times with wrench position because its hidden, but it wasn't as hard as it seemed once the angle was found. I couldn't believe how easily the closed end wrench fit over it once I got my hands in their correctly. I couldn't believe it took me a few tries.

(I'm assuming you're talking about the actual bolts and one nut that hold the housing to the turbo..... the infamous one)

The wrench I used was approx 6 inches long in order to fit down there. A knuckle buster potential.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

FINISHED!!! Omg took about 15 hours all together! it didnt help my strut brace was stuck cause of a stripped bolt... and a lot of cursing and wishing i paid a shop to do it!

my suggestions for anyone else that tries this... get friends to help you definately... have an assortment of ratchets (long and short) wrenches (pivoting, ratcheting, and regular)...and extensions and breaker bars.

i didnt break any bolts (thank god!!!!) i soaked all my bolts with a penetrating oil for about 30 min... then i slowly put pressure on each bolt rather than forcing them loose.

i would also suggest taking off the heat shield that covers the o2 housing, this will help located the hidden nut. to take off the heat shield there are two difficult bolts on the underside. it took 2 of us to take it out. one of us had a pivot wrench on the bolt and the other stuck a long breaker bar perpendicular to the wrench to create a leverage on the wrench from up top.

as far as the hidden nut my buddy got to it.. he is lighter than me (160 vs 225lbs) so he was able to literally lay on top of the car and reach down to stick a wrench on the nut.

if anyone needs help feel free to pm me!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

FINISHED!!! Omg took about 15 hours all together! it didnt help my strut brace was stuck cause of a stripped bolt... and a lot of cursing and wishing i paid a shop to do it!

my suggestions for anyone else that tries this... get friends to help you definately... have an assortment of ratchets (long and short) wrenches (pivoting, ratcheting, and regular)...and extensions and breaker bars.

i didnt break any bolts (thank god!!!!) i soaked all my bolts with a penetrating oil for about 30 min... then i slowly put pressure on each bolt rather than forcing them loose.

i would also suggest taking off the heat shield that covers the o2 housing, this will help located the hidden nut. to take off the heat shield there are two difficult bolts on the underside. it took 2 of us to take it out. one of us had a pivot wrench on the bolt and the other stuck a long breaker bar perpendicular to the wrench to create a leverage on the wrench from up top.

as far as the hidden nut my buddy got to it.. he is lighter than me (160 vs 225lbs) so he was able to literally lay on top of the car and reach down to stick a wrench on the nut.

if anyone needs help feel free to pm me!
yup the hidden nut is a *****....you definitely need the right length wrench in order to tackle it....my technician had to go through a few different kinds of wrenches before he found the right one
Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

I definitely felt like I had to remove the full O2 housing heat shield to get to all the bolts, and that last heat shield bolt under the housing was a BEAR (grrrrrr).

Laying on top of the engine to get to that final bolt was a 'must'. Didn't think about myself being that agile... Not at 6-2 and 200lbs!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It toook me about 15 hours too. I was done at about hour 10 until a coolant line started leaking when we thought we were done with the whole thing and had to take it all apart.

Anyone have any ideas for fixing the rattle? I assume its the pipe hitting my K-member
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by abazaba410
It toook me about 15 hours too. I was done at about hour 10 until a coolant line started leaking when we thought we were done with the whole thing and had to take it all apart.

Anyone have any ideas for fixing the rattle? I assume its the pipe hitting my K-member
you have a rattle??? what?? interesting... it could be the little heat shields that are below the o2 housing?

for me...i didnt even bother installing the tiny heat shields... i only put the two main heat shields.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you have a rattle??? what?? interesting... it could be the little heat shields that are below the o2 housing?

for me...i didnt even bother installing the tiny heat shields... i only put the two main heat shields.
yeah who woulda thought. But yeah I think its probably the L shapped bracket under the o2 housing. I should have just left the tiny ones out.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by abazaba410
yeah who woulda thought. But yeah I think its probably the L shapped bracket under the o2 housing. I should have just left the tiny ones out.
All my 'tiny' heat shields went on ok. The top housing heat shield isn't fully mounted with my replacement o2 housing, it lays on it loosely.

However, my CBE from ETS does have clearance issues. Several of them in fact. Yours might too. Part of the dual on the drivers side touches the gas tank shield; I have rattle there. I'm not sure with my CBE design if I can ever get rid of that; its as low as it can go, looks not so great like that but hell, it is an awesome sounding and performing mod :-D

(The other interference problem I have had is with the exhaust pipe itself and the drive shaft. I don't think that's your issue; your symptoms would be while moving and probably in heavy rain! Weird but true)
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:24 PM

wow, props to everyone that did them themselves

Last edited by flipJDMgarage8; Mar 24, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

3 hrs here, I will post pictures of magic tools you will need for easy installation!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9585/photoooo5.jpg
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

The heavy duty lubricant loose the bolts in 5 min,
And we bend the wrench for last bolt!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member