Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

AMS EVO X O2 Eliminator 3.0" Downpipe Installation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bryanole27
Mad props for that.

Let me ask you guys a question though...

There were a number of small "brackets" or "heat shields" I had to remove near where the downpipe mated with my exhaust. They didn't really seem to be doing a whole lot, so I didn't put them back because we were running short on time. Any idea what they are for and if I need to put them back?
I have left off only the two shields that attach directly to the old turbo adapter (one plate that sort of wrap around the casing and one really small one lower down), because there was no way to attach them to the AMS one.

I put everything else back. My thinking was that whatever the reasons for the heat shields, I'm not about to second guess the engineers.

EDIT:

I also left off the old downpipe heatshields.

Last edited by lowkey; Apr 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
good write up..keep it coming..My DP still waiting in the garage to be installed..lol
Old Apr 6, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad and I were looking at the car this weekend and after having so many problems installing a dp on my speed6...we thought it might be easier on the evo to take the bolts out through the wheel well. Just a thought, this way you can use a 6 point socket instead of a using a wrench.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:18 AM

Anybody snap one of the bolts yet?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

awesome thread so far w/ the pictures and instructions. ams downpipe looks MEAN! good luck on the rest of the install, I'll be sure to check in to see the finished project w/ pic's and details on how much of a different it has made.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:29 AM

Good write up!!!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

no follow-up from the OP. My guess is he finally got to the "fun" part and realized what a bish it was! I hope he comes back and finishes this write-up after he sorts out the broken bolts, etc!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Working on this as we speak guys! I'm going about 10 extra steps and am removing the full turbo manifold, turbo, downpipe, etc. to show up close pictures of every nut and bolt involved that you may not be able to see well when you do your installs. Taking pictures of everything along the way of course. Old downpipe is out now, intake is off turbo, turbo bolts to manifold are all out, about to do water and oil lines and hopefully pull this sucker out as one piece in order to address the broken studs. Full details will be posted soon!

- Louis
Old Apr 8, 2009, 02:10 PM

Whats everyone doing WHEN they snap one of the exhaust bolts in the housing? I broke 2 high dollar drill bits trying to drill out the bolt. I don't even want to say what I had to resort to.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

^^ I sprayed liquid wrench on almost all the bolts I could get to and let it sit one day before I started the O2 housing removal. Didnt break any bolts..
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
uponone76,its nice to see another guy from delaware on here,when i broke my studs off,i took it to a machine shop to have it removed and threads fixed.where do you live in delaware.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HybridKOOP
Working on this as we speak guys! I'm going about 10 extra steps and am removing the full turbo manifold, turbo, downpipe, etc. to show up close pictures of every nut and bolt involved that you may not be able to see well when you do your installs. Taking pictures of everything along the way of course. Old downpipe is out now, intake is off turbo, turbo bolts to manifold are all out, about to do water and oil lines and hopefully pull this sucker out as one piece in order to address the broken studs. Full details will be posted soon!

- Louis
Thanks for your perseverance Louis! I would have said "screw the pictures!!!!!" and frustrated as hell trying to get the car back in one piece! Thanks for the write-up. It will be instrumental to the community!

Last edited by antics22; Apr 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by bvliz
uponone76,its nice to see another guy from delaware on here,when i broke my studs off,i took it to a machine shop to have it removed and threads fixed.where do you live in delaware.
I'm in Smyrna. Come on down to the sticks homie
Old Apr 10, 2009, 03:40 PM

I attempted to start the install of my DP today. Until I got to the 2 bolts holding the O2 housing's heatshield on, on the underside of the O2 housing. They're almost impossible to get to. I think I'm going to take it to a local shop to get it put on. Hopefully they don't charge too much.

I have an UR test pipe also. But that's far easier to install in my opinon. Pretty sure I can handle that one.

Last edited by simons; Apr 10, 2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: add to
Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by simons
I attempted to start the install of my DP today. Until I got to the 2 bolts holding the O2 housing's heatshield on, on the underside of the O2 housing. They're almost impossible to get to. I think I'm going to take it to a local shop to get it put on. Hopefully they don't charge too much.

I have an UR test pipe also. But that's far easier to install in my opinon. Pretty sure I can handle that one.
Here's some tips for those 2 suckers:

Take the metal plate off on the underside, the plate with 4 bolts that protect the tubes. Spray the 2 bolts with WD40 then go get a 12mm (I just got the whole set) GearWrench from Lowe's. Those wrenches are a little longer than normal, just the right amount to give you more torque. While under the car, stick your right hand through the right front wheel well and you will be able to loosen them. But to be honest, those 2 are not even the most difficult, the nut at the back of the housing was the toughest.

Quick Reply: AMS EVO X O2 Eliminator 3.0" Downpipe Installation