Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

AMS EVO X O2 Eliminator 3.0" Downpipe Installation

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use a ratcheting wrench, and I think I took off that little heat shield from the bottom of the car.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:30 PM

Nice AMS Dp!
Old May 8, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

man this thread has me worried about the install.... eeeeeekkkk
Old May 8, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Not a bad install at all. Just lube it an hour or two before hand, and take your time with the job. Just requires patience and a little technical know how.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by missionstatemen
did you get it off if so how did you do it ?
I took Aviation snips and cut off the heat shield in the area it was blocking me from getting the 5th (bottom) bolt.
Old May 9, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talon_66
I took Aviation snips and cut off the heat shield in the area it was blocking me from getting the 5th (bottom) bolt.

You held a Bris underneath your car???
Old May 15, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Will this connect to the Buschur Catback Exhaust w/ Quiet Muffler?
Old May 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

This thing make your car super loud! So watch out.
My car is already loud with HKS high power exhaust and U.R Test pipe!
I can't imagine how it will sound with AMS down Pipe!
Old May 15, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hassan!
This thing make your car super loud! So watch out.
My car is already loud with HKS high power exhaust and U.R Test pipe!
I can't imagine how it will sound with AMS down Pipe!

Honestly it isn't that loud. Gives the car a nice grumble. When I get the chance I'll make a vid of it so you guys can hear.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:31 PM

It does not make the louder

It give's the car a nice tone, but not louder. big improvement in power, and smooth.
my setup: AEM CAI box, AMS fmic, AMS 02 dp, AMS hF cat. dual magnaflow bullets.
The car is not loud at all, just a nice tone to it.

jacksontw60
Old May 17, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jacksontw60
It give's the car a nice tone, but not louder. big improvement in power, and smooth.
my setup: AEM CAI box, AMS fmic, AMS 02 dp, AMS hF cat. dual magnaflow bullets.
The car is not loud at all, just a nice tone to it.

jacksontw60

Sounds great, wouldn't have had it any other way.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Holy Cow!!! I spent about 20 hours this weekend putting the Ultimate Racing O2 on!!! Install took about 30 minutes of that. Here are some observations and things I would recommend:

1. Find the back of the bolts (the ones that bolt the 02 to the turbo) where they come out the back of the turbo housing and lube them with gallons of PB blaster. I didn't realize they went all the way through the housing and only lubed the front. Big mistake. One bolt broke off in the turbo and another one stripped a 14mm craftsman socket. The back of the bolts can be soaked, then wire brushed to get the rust off. In the end, I had to drill out a hardened bolt out of an aluminum housing. Not FUN!!!

2. These bolts were too tight to use an impact wrench with my 125 psi compressor. So make sure you have a high output compressor if you plan to use an impact gun. (you would think 48 ft/lbs would be easier to get loose.

3. Like others have recommended, go get ratcheting wrenches ahead of time. $74 saves several hours trying to figure out how to arrange swivels, extensions and breaker bars.

4. I dropped the back section of the black plastic panel underneath the car. It makes it much easier to see what you are doing while you are under the car.

5. As I look forward to helping my buddy install his, I called a few shops. Most will install this for around $150-250. If they break the bolts, it is their problem to fix. In hind sight, I would rather have my entire Memorial Day weekend back and the money spent going to buy $74 wrenches and drill bits, screw extractor, tap and just pay the money to get it done. The rest of my mods (including balance shafts, clutch, and top end rebuild on my 1G) were easy compared to this.

The rest of the exhaust, intercooler, and IC pipes were a piece of cake. After spending more hours than I care to recall under the car, the removal could be knocked out in a few hours now that I know the right angles to get to everything. As soon as it quits raining, I will post pics and try to accomplish a how to. Focusing on how to get to the bolts instead of how to remove and replace. This post is great regarding how to remove/replace. But I will try to add what I learned the hard way over the weekend.

Last, thank you sooo much to those of you who posted "front clip removal", "O2 Housing", "Wideband install", and those who recommended Ultimate Racing!!!! This exhaust rumbles, and I got the mini-muffler! Deepest sounding 4-banger I ever heard. The ground shakes behind the car...Awesome...just awesome!!!!!!!!
Old May 27, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

^ Please post pics soon, I will be ordering my full turbo-back exhaust from AMS this Friday and I really don't want to kill a whole weekend installing the O2/DP.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

After seeing what's involved with this install...unless you're REALLY dedicated to being a DIY person...take it to a shop.

On the sound thing, I didn't notice much of a change putting this DP on. I had the Speed Circuit test pipe and GReddy TiC installed prior to the turbo and DP going on and the sound/volume didn't change much at all. I think it got a little deeper...but that's it. BTW, this combo (AMS DP, Speed Circuit TP, GReddy TiC Single) sounds AWESOME.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Got mine today and the quality is unrivaled. Blows my xtremeboost dp out of the water..

Quick Reply: AMS EVO X O2 Eliminator 3.0" Downpipe Installation