Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Interior Rattle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boobcakes
after a few more weeks of driving around, I've noticed a pattern. When it's really hot outside, it's fine. Colder days, it's down right annoying. It kinda sounds like maybe some of the tape under the dash that holds wires? It's pretty suck-tastic.
+1
Hot is good for my car, nothing rattles.
At work I park in open space, tree shadows but still it get a lot of heat. No rattle
Also the clutch and gears feels smoother

At home I have a parking garage. It gets cold. Rattle begins.
Only rattle that I have came from the windshield when I’m in a higher gear that I’m suppose to be, forcing the engine to accelerate without gear down. It rumbles!!!!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:43 PM

My passenger door rattles...along with this annoying whining every time I play a CD....WTF...
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Used to work at Lexus so I know all about chasing rattles. For Dash rattles take some thick foam. Stuff it down the backside between the windsheild and the dash. It takes some time because you have to drive it and pin point what part of the dash it's coming from and then stuff the foam down where the rattle is coming from. That works maybe 30% of the time. I've found pulling the dash and cutting the prongs that attatch the dash into the firwall seems to help out a lot with the rattling. If you have the dash out make sure you felt the $h*t out of everything that comes into contact with anything. I know it sounds like a PITA but if you want to get rid of rattles that's what you haver to do. Good luck with it, I feel your pain. Most people will put up with the rattle rather than spending half a day ripping apart their dash.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe its funny but I use silicone spray and some rattle is gone
Old Aug 7, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95% of my rattles are coming from my glove box...then I'm pushing on it....and it gets really calm.

BTW my friend has an MR and its seriously quiet compare to my ROCK FOR *** gsr,lol
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:28 AM

Question

Originally Posted by boobcakes
Anybody care to write up a "How to get rid of Interior rattle" ?

I've got about 5 rattles now all coming from the dash area. I know I'm not alone, and I hope there is a way to fix it. All ideas welcome.

Have an annoying sound in dash. Its located in the center by the defrost vent. I thought it was the wipers at first but its not.... It sounds like a wire hitting the underside of the dash plastic.

Anyone have any ideas on what it is or how it can be fixed?

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2010, 01:24 PM

Mine sounds like its coming from the navi area
Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Glove box here ... its sad but i noticed it after a 4 days of ownership (not a month old)..
I guess I have to live with that ... that rattle is not stopping me to step on it =D
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by initial_d2k
Glove box here ... its sad but i noticed it after a 4 days of ownership (not a month old)..
I guess I have to live with that ... that rattle is not stopping me to step on it =D
Heh, I noticed mine on the test drive. Anyways, all you do is put some medical linen tape in the hole and behind the slider on the glove box. Makes it go away.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:58 AM

I've tracked a few rattles down, but still have more. I took off parts of the dash trim and stuffed thin foam in with a long screwdriver and glued more thin foam to the backside of some trim pieces. One place that is still rattling on the cluster is the shaft that sticks out on the lower right side. Dimmer control maybe? it rattles around and stops when you hold it. I'm planning on slipping a piece of heat shrink around the base to stop that one.
Best way I've found to locate rattles is get a test tone cd and start with the lowest bass you can feel, working your way up to higher frequencies. It also helps to have a jl subwoofer.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:04 AM

i got rattles all over the place living in New york. notice a new one every week honestly. BUT after installing the AMS DP and Test pipe with ETS's cat back i cant hear anything anymore. Now i need a loud sound system to help with the exhaust.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by migs647
Heh, I noticed mine on the test drive. Anyways, all you do is put some medical linen tape in the hole and behind the slider on the glove box. Makes it go away.

I just did this for my glove box and the rattle is gone. thanks for the tip
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:36 PM

Anyone have a rattle / clicking sound under the hood after they did the latch recall? It only happens on bumps and started after i did the recall.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:06 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by tildeathdouswat
I just did this for my glove box and the rattle is gone. thanks for the tip
NP! Glad it worked
Old Apr 9, 2010, 08:40 PM

mine is plauged wuth rattles

Quick Reply: Interior Rattle