Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

APR Vortex generator

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone take a picture of the fitment issue so we can see exactly? All the images on the vendor web sites show it sitting flush.

Also is this for the SSS/Nav Antenna?

Thx.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^quite easy to visualize. the issue is on the front of your SSS antenna base, its sticking up while the back is close to the roof already
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Web9
Can someone take a picture of the fitment issue so we can see exactly? All the images on the vendor web sites show it sitting flush.

Also is this for the SSS/Nav Antenna?

Thx.

This pic was actually posted by the vendor. He said that it would sit flush after using the tape, though.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:33 AM

are these actually of any help? i thought the ridges in the roof on the x made the obsolete? or is this mainly just for looks?

anyone have a pic thats a little further away with this on so i can see how it looks on the X?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

These are just like any other aero modification--they are primarily for looks. In higher speeds they begin to prove functional, but a DD will rarely enter such speeds.

And it looks awesome on the car. Just look at the FQ400 pics since that has a VG.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

pretty sure my fitment isn't that off, maybe you can try to take it off and move the vg a little closer to the front of the car to get a better fit
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

No, it won't work. I'm picking up some extra tape later and letting my mechanic try to shave off part of the bottom that clearly gets in the way.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

You need to take it to a body shop. They take it off, heat it with a real heat gun and fit it, then use bondo or something insanely strong.
I put it on and also have the issue. Tried using stronger tape and taking a blow dryer to it in the summer sun. Maybe improved it a bit but still have a gap.
Went to a few body shops afterwards and all told me i have to take it off and they will get it on perfect.
So if you do buy this make sure you go to a body shop first. Take all the tape off and clean the VG bottom with goo gone or something. Then give them the clean VG and your car for a few hours.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, my went to my mechanic with the tape, but it's just 3 guys that run that place and they are always busy, so I ended up taking it to a place that does tint and a lot of custom work to build show cars (electronics, sound, exterior stuff, ect).

The guy there is going to use an epoxy. The downside to this is that if I ever decide to take this piece off the clear coat or paint will probably come off with it. What sucks is I broke one of the plastic clips that holds the rubber weather strip along the roof sides. He ordered me a new piece, which costs $3, but it'll be a week.

So I'll have pics of it installed on Monday along with some other minor exterior changes (ARC cf air intake duct, red emblems, debadged, fog light delete mesh kit).
Old Jul 12, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
so my question is this, is it really worth it to buy this VG even with the fitment issue just because it is cheaper? sure its cheaper than the OEM UK one but after everything is said and done i think that the price would be close if not more than the UK one. assuming the APR is still cheaper what about the problems that could arise in the future because the APR didnt quite fit "right" in the getgo.

no offense meant to the OP as you are not the only one who bought this VG. just lying it out there for future buyers.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't even know that I could buy the FQ400 VG. I read on another thread that it won't fit SSS. Where can I get it? Maybe I'll return this VG. My little ARC carbon fiber air intake duct cost $100 more than this VG. I'll pay more for a better fitment.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

The FQ360 VG looks like a perfect fitment besides the SSS antenna base.

Look at the side ridges. They form to go under the rubber strips along the roof. Mine just tucks in under, but doesn't come out on the other side.

Ughhh this really kills me. I don't want to epoxy this APR one onto my car and be pissed off when a company FINALLY makes a VG that fits on the SSS models without fitment issues. I'll have to see about cutting that part off and making it look "finished". I know someone did this on here and posted pics. I'll have to find those pics and make the call.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a pic of someone who put the rubber under the APR to make it seem flush
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

here are a few pics of mine to show what i did so that there is no gap

Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'm really contemplating just chopping that part off.

If I could do it all over again I'd buy the FQ part and modify that to make it fit. This APR one is a headache and a half. The Chargespeed one is my favorite, but they didn't make it to fit the SSS. All the parts I'm ordering from here on out are either JDM or AMS, so hopefully I won't face another crappy fitment/quality issue again.

Quick Reply: APR Vortex generator